TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-30-2012, 09:57 AM   #1
Mr. T

stuck in powering up, can I replace drive with new one?

My Tivo HD (original model) is stuck in powering up... Assuming the drive is dead and I replace the drive, how do I get the Tivo software loaded onto it. All the research I've done on MFStools seems that it wants to copy the stuff from the old drive to new drive. My question is, how do I get the software loaded on the drive (or by simply putting a new drive in the Tivo will it somehow load it). Thanks!
Old 12-30-2012, 10:20 AM   #2
dlfl
Cranky old novice

It could be the power supply. Check for even slightly bulging capacitors. And/or measure the voltages. And/or remove the drive, connect it to a PC either with a USB-SATA adapter or directly to SATA connector on the motherboard, and run the Western Digital extended diagnostics test.

You definitely have to get a TiVo software image on a replacement drive -- the TiVo will not automatically do that. There are DIY methods to put an image on a new drive either by transferring from an existing TiVo drive or using an image file that can be obtained from members on this forum. If you don't want to DIY you can buy pre-imaged drives from Weaknees.com or from DVR_DUDE on eBay.

Give us an idea of which of these suggestions you want to pursue and there will be plenty of guidance from forum members.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:20 AM   #3
HerronScott

Check out the Tivo Upgrade Center forum. There's a thread there on getting a replacement image.

Your other option would be to buy the replacement drive with the image already installed from either eBay or weaKnees.

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:32 AM   #4
Mr. T

Thanks for the quick reply!!!

Well I pulled the unit out from the entertainment center (grrr tangled cables and lots of dust). I hooked it up to a monitor and powered it up. Lo and behold it worked! Questions

1. Assuming the drive is about to die, what is the recommended way to copy it to a new drive AND save my settings and perhaps use a larger capacity drive

2. If the drive dies before I do the copy, you mentioned that others on the forum could get me a new TiVo image. How do I get that?

Being a geek I am comfortable fooling with this and would prefer not to have to buy anything.

Thanks again!
Old 12-30-2012, 10:34 AM   #5
worachj

TCD652160 images.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...01#post8831301
Old 12-30-2012, 10:42 AM   #6
dlfl
Cranky old novice

You're definitely going to want either 1 or 2 TB for your replacement drive. The procedures are different and slightly more complicated for 2 TB. State your preference and we will go from there. Also, have you noticed the extensive sticky thread on drive upgrades?
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=370784

Also, the HDD of choice for 2 TB is the WD20EURS. Not sure about the 1 TB but from the photo on his eBay listing, it appears DVR_DUDE is using the WD10EUR for his 1 TB upgrades.

and
Old 12-30-2012, 10:44 AM   #7
HerronScott

WinMFS would be the best way to copy your existing drive with shows to a new drive although it does depend on the size of the replacement drive. What size drive are you looking at and do you have the S3 OLED or the later HD version?

Scott
Old 12-30-2012, 10:49 AM   #8
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Hmmm.... Good question. He says "Tivo HD, original model" which does sound like it might be the OLED model (I call it the S3). To be certain you have to go by the actual model number. Does it begin with 648 (original S3 OLED)? Or is it 652 (Tivo HD) or is it 658 (TiVo HD XL). This definitely affects all issues related to upgrades.

All three models were called "Series 3" by TiVo -- confusing.

and
Old 12-30-2012, 11:23 AM   #9
dlfl
Cranky old novice

I need to correct my earlier post:
DVR_DUDE is using (based on his photo) the WD10EURS. A quick search suggests this 1 TB model is going extinct, so I doubt there is any recommended 1 TB drive for DIY upgrades.

and
Old 12-30-2012, 04:24 PM   #10
Mr. T

It begins with 652. I do have some 1Tb WD green drives around and can probably use one of them (though I see in the upgrade thread you have to disable the Intellepark feature) or is that a bad idea. If I choose to get a new drive I can get the 2Tb you mentioned from Newegg for about $120. Lastly, do you have a link to the latest MFStools?

Thanks again for the help!!!!
Old 12-30-2012, 06:08 PM   #11
dlfl
Cranky old novice

For 1 TB drive you can use WinMFS. You may have to disable intellipark. See instructions at the front of the upgrade drive sticky thread I linked before. Try making a backup of your current drive and if that doesn't work use the .tbk image offered by unitron in the other thread linked earlier. The advantage of using a backup of your current drive is you don't have to reinstall your CableCARD(s) that way and you don't have to wait for Tivo to connect and update the OS from whatever was in the image.

If you search the upgrade thread on the specific 1 TB models you have you might get an answer as to whether you have to run wdidle3 for intellipark.

and
Old 12-30-2012, 06:56 PM   #12
HerronScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. T View Post
It begins with 652. I do have some 1Tb WD green drives around and can probably use one of them (though I see in the upgrade thread you have to disable the Intellepark feature) or is that a bad idea. If I choose to get a new drive I can get the 2Tb you mentioned from Newegg for about $120. Lastly, do you have a link to the latest MFStools?
If you decide you want more recording time and go for the WD20EURS, Amazon has it for $110.99 right now with free shipping if you have Amazon Prime.

You will have to use the JMFS tool. See this thread.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=462179

This AV drive should already have Intellipark disabled (at least mine came that way).

Scott
Old 12-30-2012, 07:06 PM   #13
Mr. T

Thanks Scott, I just ordered one from Amazon. I will hopefully be able to copy the settings over (as it was a huge PITA getting the cable card working with Comcast).

Looking at the winMFS site it seems things are dated from 2009, is that the right thing to use? Last time I looked it was almost 2013 :-)
Old 12-30-2012, 07:50 PM   #14
HerronScott

WinMFS beta build 9.3f is the latest version, but you only need WinMFS if you want to supersize the drive after using the JMFS disk (increases recording time from 288 to 318 hours).

Scott