TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Stream
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-04-2012, 10:58 PM   #1
swerver

Does stream allow changing the transcoding settings?

As in, lower or higher quality? Thinking along the lines of what you can do with handbrake. And what kind of compression are you guys seeing with it... for instance, if you transfer a 2 GB file, what size is the new transcoded file? I'm pretty happy with what I can do with handbrake, so while the convenience of the stream looks nice, if I can't control the output file size then I don't think I'm interested.

thanks
swerver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:38 PM   #2
supasta

I hope this information is near to what you are asking for.
59 minute MythBusters episode recorded on TiVo Premiere in HD shows on TiVo as 6.66GB in size. When selecting for transfer/download on my iPhone I am given two options:
Best: 1GB and Standard: 610MB.
2 hour program, same settings, shows on TiVo as 9.35GB. Download options via TiVo Stream on iPhone are Best: 2GB and Standard: 1GB.

The file size on the TiVo varies greatly from program to program, however the Stream download options seem to always remain the same.

XBOX LIVE: fiftyfootfang
supasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:25 AM   #3
Dan203
Super Moderator

You realize that when you download something via the Stream you can't do anything with it except watch it on the iPad right? Even AirPlay and HDMI output are disabled. So as long as the quality looks OK on the iPad there is really no reason to worry about the various settings.

I assume you use Handbrake to archive recordings for devices other then just your iPad? If so then the Stream wont really fill that role. It's really just a quick, no nonsense, way to watch shows on your iPad. That's it.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:08 PM   #4
swerver

Well, I don't even have an ipad so this is just a "looking ahead" question at this point. My main use case would be transferring shows to a couple android tabs that my kids use on trips, and maybe I'll have my own in the near future. The kids' tabs are pretty low res so I don't need beefy files on those, and if I got one it would be higher res and I would want beefier files. Given the limited storage on such devices, I'm just trying to gauge how many videos I'll be able to take with me, and if there are even options there for different res devices. The streaming feature would be cool too but wouldn't be my main interest (of course once I had it I might decide I love it), for now I'm just considering a simpler way to transfer videos than using my pc and doing it manually.

tl;dr supasta's post was just what I was looking for, thanks.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:55 PM   #5
global_dev

even though you said you were looking forward, stream doesn't working with android yet..
global_dev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:09 AM   #6
swerver

Right but presumably it will at some point, don't worry I definitely won't buy one until it does, and even then it's only a maybe.