TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-29-2012, 09:03 PM   #1
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

Grimm 8/27/2012 spoilers

This was the episode with the Coyotl dudes kidnapping the girl.

I'm glad the partner was finally let in on what is going on. I think it will make for a better show. I liked the Grimm mom being around in earlier episodes. I figured she wouldn't stick around, so it's nice the partner is in on it.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:44 PM   #2
justen_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffer View Post
This was the episode with the Coyotl dudes kidnapping the girl.

I'm glad the partner was finally let in on what is going on. I think it will make for a better show. I liked the Grimm mom being around in earlier episodes. I figured she wouldn't stick around, so it's nice the partner is in on it.
I just got back from vacation and watched for episodes in a row... sorry if I am mixing some things up.
Totally agree with Hank being in on the supernatural secret is a good thing. Of course, this just means the producers are going to keep Juliette in the dark forever, especially now with her memory loss providing a convenient out.

I think mom's re-appearance and disappearance were handled well. She came, she kicked some ass, then made a graceful exit, sort of.

The hot blond witchy thing that Hank was seduced by... what happened to her after Nick neutralized her powers? Is she dead? Fitting that Nick's mom killed her mom.
justen_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:33 AM   #3
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by justen_m View Post
I think mom's re-appearance and disappearance were handled well. She came, she kicked some ass, then made a graceful exit, sort of.

The hot blond witchy thing that Hank was seduced by... what happened to her after Nick neutralized her powers? Is she dead? Fitting that Nick's mom killed her mom.
Nick's mom didn't leave town so she's gonna pop up again sometime.

Adelind (sp?) isn't dead. Don't know where she went after getting her cat to scratch Juliette though. But I bet we see her again.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:46 AM   #4
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by loubob57 View Post
How do you know she didn't leave town? She stole a car. She could have stayed in town with it or left town in it. Actually, staying in town with the stolen car would probably be a bad idea.

I'm sure we haven't seen the last of her though.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:58 AM   #5
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
How do you know she didn't leave town? She stole a car. She could have stayed in town with it or left town in it.
We've missed you in the EST thread...
Old 08-30-2012, 08:09 AM   #6
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
How do you know she didn't leave town?
They made a point of showing her walking towards the bus station then making a quick turn and stealing a car instead. So she wasn't following the plan Nick and she had agreed on. Maybe she is going somewhere else but it's going to be nearby. Mainly I was just getting at the fact that we're going to be seeing more of her pretty soon.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:15 AM   #7
whitson77
Director Level

About time on his partner. I hope it can add some numbers this seasons so we don't have to worry about a renewal.
whitson77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:35 AM   #8
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitson77 View Post
About time on his partner. I hope it can add some numbers this seasons so we don't have to worry about a renewal.
The only thing that was missing was the partner punching him in the face with everything he has for holding out on him and continuing the mental torture he was going through.

But better late than never, and because of the bizarre echo-chamber logic these shows use ("Nobody ever tells anybody anything in this kind of show, so I'm not going to tell anybody anything, no matter how reasonable or humane it would be"), it's usually never. So kudos for at least managing late!
Old 08-30-2012, 10:00 AM   #9
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loubob57 View Post

I never really trusted her story about heading off to Mordor to smelt down the coins, or whatever it was she claimed she needed to do to destroy them. Nick was much too trusting of her.

I'm very glad Nick's partner is now "in the know" - my biggest gripe last season was that the various parts of Nick's life weren't really brought together cohesively enough. It's all gelling, now.

I wonder if there will be any suggestion that Nick's partner has some Grimm lineage.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Twitter:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:55 AM   #10
dcheesi
...I'm not.

I figure the mom will show up towards the end of the season, either as a plot twist and/or as part of the "endgame" for the season arc. I don't expect to see her in any more early/mid season episodes.

I'm also glad that Hank is in on it; they took way too long on that with both him and Juliette. I do think that Hank's childhood friend being a Wesen and needing his help at just the right time was a bit convenient, and allowed them wrap up his coming-to-terms arc a little too neatly. But hopefully that means that they're making room to focus on the real nitty-gritty of the Grimms/Royal-Families arc
Old 08-30-2012, 11:51 AM   #11
Sadara
huh?

Thought I shouldn't be reading all these spoilers, I couldn't help myself! I'm about 8 episodes behind and getting caught up. I love this show and I'm glad to be able to look forward to the partner getting clued in. I just watched the episode where Adeline loses her powers and Hank is saved.
Sadara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:27 PM   #12
markz
Hilarity Ensues

One thing that has me confused is when can the Wesen tell that Nick is a Grimm? Sometimes they can tell right away, and other times the can't.

Also, what powers does a Grimm have other than being able to see a Wesen's true form?

ETA: From wiki

Quote:
Other than their ability to see Wesen as they truly are, Grimms also seem to possess a natural ability for profiling people, and are highly skilled at physical combat. They are also resilient to such magic as the Coins of Zakynthos, which makes ordinary humans and Wesen become overconfident, power-hungry and obsessive.

markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:32 PM   #13
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markz View Post
One thing that has me confused is when can the Wesen tell that Nick is a Grimm? Sometimes they can tell right away, and other times the can't.
My impression is that they can tell he's a Grimm when they're in their Wesen form. But I haven't tested that hypothesis by thinking about it while I'm actually watching the show.

I'm pretty sure this week one of the Coyotls was hanging with Nick all human and unconcerned, then went into his Coyotl form, took one look at Nick, and freaked.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:48 PM   #14
danterner
Not it!

I wonder if we'll ever see what Nick-as-Grimm looks like, from a Wesen perspective. Presumably there's some physical difference that they're seeing that alerts them to his nature. So far, we've only seen how Wesen look to Nick, but not vice versa. If they have special fighting ability and resilience to magic that affects ordinary humans, and given that they can "see" Wesen, it would seem Grimms are not exactly human themselves.
| Twitter:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:56 PM   #15
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
I wonder if we'll ever see what Nick-as-Grimm looks like, from a Wesen perspective. Presumably there's some physical difference that they're seeing that alerts them to his nature. So far, we've only seen how Wesen look to Nick, but not vice versa. If they have special fighting ability and resilience to magic that affects ordinary humans, and given that they can "see" Wesen, it would seem Grimms are not exactly human themselves.
The same wiki page I linked to above says:

Quote:
While not generally thought of as a Wesen species, Grimms share a bloodline trait separating them from normal humans
It doesn't mention them being a different species as far as looks.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:58 PM   #16
john4200

Here's a repost from another thread. Feel free to post examples that are exceptions to these rules.

The rules of the faces are fairly complicated. Here is what I think they are:

1) Ordinary humans can only see Wesen when the Wesen voluntarily transform into full-Wesen form. Ordinary humans cannot see anything unusual when a Wesen involuntarily transforms its face. Ordinary humans cannot recognize a Grimm under any circumstances.

2) A Grimm can recognize a Wesen when the Wesen is voluntarily transformed into full-Wesen form, OR when the Wesen is excited, upset, angry, etc. and involuntarily morphs its face into its true form. There does not appear to be any special way for a Grimm to recognize another Grimm.

3) A Wesen seems to only be able to recognize a Grimm when the Wesen, voluntarily or involuntarily, has transformed itself or its face into Wesen form (which also allows the Grimm to see the Wesen). There may be some exceptions to this rule, because I vaguely recall a Wesen recognizing a Grimm without having its Wesen face on.

4) I think that Wesen may sometimes be able to recognize other Wesen even if each has on their human faces. But it seems that usually for a Wesen to recognize another, the one being recognized must transform to Wesen form, voluntarily or involuntarily (same as for a Grimm to recgonize a Wesen).

Last edited by john4200 : 08-31-2012 at 03:48 PM. Reason: updated to reflect voluntary and involuntary transformation
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:04 PM   #17
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
Here's a repost from another thread. Feel free to post examples that are exceptions to these rules.

The rules of the faces are fairly complicated. Here is what I think they are:

1) Only Grimms and Wesen can see the true Wesen faces, except that ordinary humans can see them if the Wesen specifically wills it (i.e., a Wesen never accidently shows its true face to an ordinary human)

2) When a Wesen is not intentionally using its powers, a Grimm can only see a Wesen when the Wesen is excited, upset, angry, etc. and accidentally exposes its true face (even then, ordinary humans cannot see it)
In this latest episode, the coyotl girl accidently let Hank see her get her Wesen on, so that would seem to contradict 1 & 2.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:55 PM   #18
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
In this latest episode, the coyotl girl accidently let Hank see her get her Wesen on, so that would seem to contradict 1 & 2.
But that was after she recognized Nick as a Grimm and went full-on Wesen. So it may still fit.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:04 PM   #19
Dawghows

I hope there is some rhyme or reason to how/when the Wesen can tell Nick is a Grimm, and I hope they figure out a way to tell us the rules at some point. During just about every episode my wife and I have a discussion about how it's never clear to us what the rules are. And we are big fans of genre shows, so we're kinda programmed to figure out these kinds of things. So far in this show, it seems like the rule is that the Wesen can recognize Nick only if and when the plot calls for it. I truly hope there's more to it than that.
Dawghows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:51 PM   #20
john4200

Quote:
Good example.

As loubob57 suggested, perhaps there are two types of transformations a Wesen can make. One is the involuntary / accidental case where their face morphs for a few seconds after they get excited or angry. That cannot be seen by ordinary humans.

Then there is a second transformation, where the Wesen voluntarily changes to, as loubob57 wrote, "full-on Wesen". That transformation only happens voluntarily, and ordinary humans can see it.

I updated the rules post #16 with this theory.

Last edited by john4200 : 08-30-2012 at 07:11 PM.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:00 PM   #21
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Quote:
2) A Grimm can recognize a Wesen when the Wesen ... is excited, upset, angry, etc. and involuntarily morphs its face into its true form. There does not appear to be any special way for a Grimm to recognize another Grimm.
In some cases I think the transformation comes when the Wesen recognizes the Grimm as it panics.
180hr S2

Stormspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 03:47 PM   #22
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormspace View Post
In some cases I think the transformation comes when the Wesen recognizes the Grimm as it panics.
I never had that impression. Can you cite an example?
Old 08-31-2012, 03:50 PM   #23
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Quote:
I never had that impression. Can you cite an example?
The Beaver man. He turned around saw Nick and panicked, revealing himself in the process. I'd have to rewatch the show but I think recognition came before the transformation.
180hr S2

Old 08-31-2012, 07:54 PM   #24
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormspace View Post
The Beaver man. He turned around saw Nick and panicked, revealing himself in the process. I'd have to rewatch the show but I think recognition came before the transformation.
Are you talking about butt-crack Bud's first scene, repairing the refrigerator?

That was an odd scene. But Bud was already very excited when he saw Nick (said the fridge was trying to kill him, and he injured his hand), and it seemed to me that Bud morphed his face accidentally, then flinched when he saw Nick, recognizing him for a Grimm the instant his face morphed.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:40 AM   #25
cheesesteak
Meh.

About time Hank learned about the Wessen. The actor playing Nick is too boring and uninspiring to carry the weight on his own.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:11 PM   #26
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Quote:
Are you talking about butt-crack Bud's first scene, repairing the refrigerator?

That was an odd scene. But Bud was already very excited when he saw Nick (said the fridge was trying to kill him, and he injured his hand), and it seemed to me that Bud morphed his face accidentally, then flinched when he saw Nick, recognizing him for a Grimm the instant his face morphed.
I agree that the scene could be interpreted both ways. I was just putting it out there as an example that the recognition could CAUSE the transformation.
180hr S2