TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-15-2013, 06:26 PM   #1
PFerries

Remote Control Problem

I am looking for some help with a new remote control. The remote control for our Hughes Tivo had some buttons that were getting hard to function so I bought a replacement remote(same model number) on Ebay. It works great for the Tivo but I cannot get it programmed for the TV. I know the TV is supported since the old remote works. One thing I noticed is when I type in the codes sometimes the red light blinks three times and sometimes it does nothing. I also tried the automatic one where you type in the 0999 code. The instructions say to press the channel up button every 2-3 seconds and if it reaches the end the solid red light will go out. In my case the red light goes out after pressing the channel button once. Is there a way to get the code that the old remote is using? Anything else I should be trying? Am I missing something simple? I've tried researching this in the forums but have not found anything that helps.
PFerries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:32 PM   #2
Edmund
Remote Czar

No, you can't blink back a code from tivo remote. What is the brand and model of tv?
Edmund is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:29 PM   #3
PFerries

It is a Toshiba Cinema Series CN27G95.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:16 PM   #4
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Older remotes may not have as many codes, even if they are the same model number. I've had a number of older DirecTV remotes that refuse to do codes for newer sets.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:02 PM   #5
PFerries

Is it possible the opposite is true. I have had the Tivo unit and remote for 10+ years now. Could the newer remote have removed support for some tv's? Could this be why the red light does not blink after I enter in the codes for the toshiba tv listed in the Tivo setup? I think it strange that the remote does not work the same for all codes entered. One other item I forgot to mention is the new remote has purple buttons as opposed to the original which were gray. The color probably doesn't mean anything but I thought maybe it might indicate how old/new the new remote is.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:12 PM   #6
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFerries View Post
Is it possible the opposite is true. I have had the Tivo unit and remote for 10+ years now. Could the newer remote have removed support for some tv's?
I had this happen to me, sort of. With a code that worked with an older, Series 2 remote, the Premiere remote wouldn't control the TV. But later I found a different code (not in the list displayed by the TiVo for that TV brand) that worked with the Premiere remote.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:35 PM   #7
Edmund
Remote Czar

try resetting the remote:

1. press and hold Tivo & TV POWER, until light remains on
2. press Thumbs Down 3 times
3. press Enter, on the bottom row of the remote

now retry the toshiba code:

1. press and hold Tivo & TV POWER, until light remains on
2. enter 0 0 2 1
Old 01-17-2013, 07:28 PM   #8
PFerries

After I press the thumbs down 3 times and hit enter the solid red light does not go out. Even though the light was on I typed the code, skipping the tivo and power button step,but still no luck with the tv. Should the red light go out after step 3?
Old 01-17-2013, 08:32 PM   #9
Edmund
Remote Czar

It goes off, then comes on and blinks three times, then goes out for good. I would get a new remote, sounds like yours is bad?
Old 01-22-2013, 08:06 PM   #10
PFerries

Thanks for all the help? I guess it's time to buy another remote.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:26 AM   #11
nmiller855

Does that reset sequence work on SATT60 remotes, too? I lost my guide button function a while back & would like to restore it.
nmiller855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:43 PM   #12
Edmund
Remote Czar

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmiller855 View Post
Does that reset sequence work on SATT60 remotes, too? I lost my guide button function a while back & would like to restore it.
No, not one listed here, to reset the T60 remote:

1. press and hold Tivo & tv power, until the light remains on
2. enter 0 9 8 1