TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-23-2012, 05:40 PM   #1
busyba
The Funcooker

removing then restoring external storage

I've got an Elite that's been running with an external hard drive.

If I were to go through the documented steps to remove the external storage, the warnings say that "you will lose most, if not all, of your recordings."

Two questions:

1) Would the recordings lost only be the ones that happen to reside on the external storage, or would the internal ones be affected as well?

2) If I were to go through the steps to remove the external storage, then go right ahead and go through the steps to attach the external storage, using the exact same hard drive, would all the lost recordings be returned, as if nothing had happened at all?

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:13 PM   #2
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

It's the same as an S3 or THD, you keep the recordings made before external storage was added, lose all the recordings made after.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:11 PM   #3
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
It's the same as an S3 or THD, you keep the recordings made before external storage was added, lose all the recordings made after.
It was added from day 1, so I guess that's everything.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:31 PM   #4
shwru980r

I don't think you would get the recordings back, even if you hooked the exact same external drive back up.
Humax DRT800-Lifetime-OTA
Series 2-Lifetime-Cable
Series 2-Lifetime-Cable
Toshiba SD-H400-Basic-Cable
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:08 PM   #5
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
I've got an Elite that's been running with an external hard drive.

If I were to go through the documented steps to remove the external storage, the warnings say that "you will lose most, if not all, of your recordings."

Two questions:

1) Would the recordings lost only be the ones that happen to reside on the external storage, or would the internal ones be affected as well?

2) If I were to go through the steps to remove the external storage, then go right ahead and go through the steps to attach the external storage, using the exact same hard drive, would all the lost recordings be returned, as if nothing had happened at all?
If the external drive is still working, then I suggest that you try saving the recordings to your PC or to another Tivo first. Hard for me to fathom that someone would need an external drive on an Elite.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:24 PM   #6
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
If the external drive is still working, then I suggest that you try saving the recordings to your PC or to another Tivo first. Hard for me to fathom that someone would need an external drive on an Elite.
Oh, not for me. If I were still with Time Warner, and all I had were Elites, then the internal drive would be nowhere nearly large enough. Fortunately, when I was with TWC, I had all Series III class machines, and all of them were modified.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:26 PM   #7
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Hard for me to fathom that someone would need an external drive on an Elite.
I don't always watch shows in a timely fashion, and sometimes they build up. Among other things, until about a month ago I had the entire most recent seasons of SVU and Suburgatory sitting on the TiVo waiting to be watched. I also have a bunch of movies that I grab off of HBO or Showtime that I might get around to watching someday.

I've often flirted with the 2TB limit of just the internal drive. The Olympics, with their 11 hour program blocks, put me well over it. At the lowest point, my free space was about 100 hours.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:59 PM   #8
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Do you know it's really a bad drive? the cases die more frequently than the drive on the official expanders and replacing the case with an MX-1 will let you keep the recordings.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:14 PM   #9
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Oh, not for me. If I were still with Time Warner, and all I had were Elites, then the internal drive would be nowhere nearly large enough. Fortunately, when I was with TWC, I had all Series III class machines, and all of them were modified.
Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
I don't always watch shows in a timely fashion, and sometimes they build up. Among other things, until about a month ago I had the entire most recent seasons of SVU and Suburgatory sitting on the TiVo waiting to be watched. I also have a bunch of movies that I grab off of HBO or Showtime that I might get around to watching someday.

I've often flirted with the 2TB limit of just the internal drive. The Olympics, with their 11 hour program blocks, put me well over it. At the lowest point, my free space was about 100 hours.
Geez, we're retired and we don't watch THAT much TV.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:14 PM   #10
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
Do you know it's really a bad drive? the cases die more frequently than the drive on the official expanders and replacing the case with an MX-1 will let you keep the recordings.
I don't really know what's going on.

All of a sudden, the fan started getting really loud and grating, on and off. Almost like it was occasionally speeding up really fast for a few seconds then going back down. The noise was definitely the fan, since I was able to stop the noise by stopping the fan with a piece of plastic. As far as I could tell, the noise did not correlate with any kind of performance problem on the TiVo.

I actually was able to stop the noise by turning the enclosure upside down, but after about a day it started up again. Then, it started happening while playing back a recording, and the playback would freeze up in sync with the fan noise kicking in, so that made me start to suspect that the core issue was with the drive and the fan was just a reaction to it.

I rebooted the TiVo, and the issue has stopped for now (and the recording that was freezing on playback played smoothly after that), but it's only about 24 hours at this point.

I got the elite and drive from Weaknees. I haven't really taken a close look at the enclosure yet, but I'm not sure if it's necessarily "user serviceable". From a cursory glance, it seemed to me to be a solid unit.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:18 PM   #11
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Geez, we're retired and we don't watch THAT much TV.
If I watched more of it, the drive wouldn't get so full.