TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-08-2012, 06:13 PM   #1
Northerner26

Help Please: two unplugged series 2 w/ lifetime - upgrade to XL4 & lifetime

i have two lifetime series 2DT's but my cable service went digital early this year so i unplugged both units for that reason plus my TV died and so many things have been going wrong around here i just couldn't get caught up till now and im getting a new LCD TV and probably an XL4.

was thinking of selling the two units to help offset the cost of a new lifetime service but if i sell the units and transfer the lifetime services will the new owners have any problems since i had them unplugged for several months??

and any clue what each would be worth? one has a bigger hard drive then stock.

thanks
Northerner26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:28 PM   #2
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northerner26 View Post
but if i sell the units and transfer the lifetime services will the new owners have any problems since i had them unplugged for several months??
Why would they?
I've never heard of a lifetime or until you unplug it subscription.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:43 PM   #3
jerryr001

Quote:
i have two lifetime series 2DT's but my cable service went digital early this year so i unplugged both units for that reason plus my TV died and so many things have been going wrong around here i just couldn't get caught up till now and im getting a new LCD TV and probably an XL4.

was thinking of selling the two units to help offset the cost of a new lifetime service but if i sell the units and transfer the lifetime services will the new owners have any problems since i had them unplugged for several months??

and any clue what each would be worth? one has a bigger hard drive then stock.

thanks
If you log into your TiVo account that is linked to the box with lifetime service and go to shop, you should see a discount of $100 for the lifetime service (399 vs 499) with the purchase of a new TiVo

It doesn't matter if you have it unplugged for any period of time. The lifetime service goes with the box, so it is transferable to another owner. My guess is you'd get $50 for a standard size drive and $100+ for larger drives. TiVo's with smaller drives use to sell higher since you can easily increase drive space without impacting the lifetime service, but drive prices are up the past couple years.

http://www.ebay.com/csc/i.html?_saca...mplete=1&rt=nc
jerryr001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:52 PM   #4
Northerner26

fifty bucks? i would throw it in the garbage before i sold a lifetime tivo to anyone for fifty bucks.

that link you gave showed series 2dt boxes going for a couple hundred. if i could get that for each i could at least pay for a new lifetime plan on an XL4.

but what i said earlier, is it bad to leave a box unplugged for an extended period of time? but it sounds like it will all get updated the next time it is plugged in and phones home.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:06 PM   #5
magnus
Tivo User

It shouldn't be a problem to leave them unplugged. Just means that you need to plug in one if you ever want or need a discount on lifetime on another box (or monthly).

Prices for lifetime series 2 boxes seem to be going down. If you want to get $100 from them you better start trying to sell them soon. Now is your best opportunity.
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:15 PM   #6
mattack

Quote:
fifty bucks? i would throw it in the garbage before i sold a lifetime tivo to anyone for fifty bucks.
Wow, that's a horrible attitude (and bad environmentally).

Heck, I might be interested in a DT as an analog backup recorder.
mattack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:32 PM   #7
lessd

Quote:
but what i said earlier, is it bad to leave a box unplugged for an extended period of time? but it sounds like it will all get updated the next time it is plugged in and phones home.
After 6 month TiVo will not count the unplugged TiVo for your MSD, so plug in one of them and make at least one call home.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:45 PM   #8
jerryr001

Quote:

that link you gave showed series 2dt boxes going for a couple hundred. if i could get that for each i could at least pay for a new lifetime plan on an XL4.

The link I sent showed one with 250G of disk selling for $200 and another with 80G selling for $200. Others sold between $50 and $150 depending on the equipment included. The large majority did not sell at all.

Never said you had to sell it for fifty bucks. I replied to your post that contained virtual no detail and did the leg work for you.

Sorry I wasted my time!

Last edited by jerryr001 : 06-08-2012 at 09:51 PM.
jerryr001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:50 PM   #9
rhsdfx

rhsdfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:13 AM   #10
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhsdfx View Post

After you get that new TV, assuming it has a composite (yellow jack) input, or an S-Video input, or can do analog channel 3 or 4 on its antenna input, fire up those boxes and make sure they still work and let them connect, via phone line or internet, to TiVo, Inc's servers for a day or 3.

Then you can get a $100 discount on lifetime for the new Series4 when you get it.

Then once it's lifetimed, it's lifetimed, and you can sell the S2s.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 02:52 AM   #11
Northerner26

thanks lessd and unitron, thats the info i was wanting.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:59 PM   #12
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

This is somewhat redundant but, to summarize, you need to plug in at least one of the boxes and let it call Tivo if it is the qualifier for your MSD on the proposed XL4. Also keep in mind that if you sell the box that qualifies you for the MSD, then the XL4 will not take it's place as a MSD qualifier for future purchases. Nominal price on eBay for a standard S2DT with lifetime has been about $160 the last I looked.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:18 PM   #13
Northerner26

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
Also keep in mind that if you sell the box that qualifies you for the MSD, then the XL4 will not take it's place as a MSD qualifier for future purchases.

lillevig, im not sure what you mean?
i think i need to buy my new box first and then get lifetime for it, then i can sell my other two boxes? but if im down to one lifetime box why wouldnt it qualify for future purchases?
Old 06-09-2012, 03:05 PM   #14
Merle Corey

Quote:
lillevig, im not sure what you mean?
i think i need to buy my new box first and then get lifetime for it, then i can sell my other two boxes? but if im down to one lifetime box why wouldnt it qualify for future purchases?
The requirement for MSD isn't that you have another TiVo, the requirement is that you have another TiVo with a full price sub (either for the lifetime or for the month to month). So if you buy the XL4 with MSD-discounted lifetime and sell the other two, you'll no longer have a TiVo that qualifies for future MSD discounts.

Correction: Or not. I may be misinterpreting the MSD terms and can't find conclusive information either way. Just follow Unitron's instructions and don't let me confuse things.

Also, there's a limit of 5 MSD discounts per account.

Last edited by Merle Corey : 06-09-2012 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Correcting incorrect/unconfirmed info
Merle Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 03:17 PM   #15
Northerner26

Merle, if thats so how did i get my second lifetime after i bought my first on the older boxes?

also, what is the difference in an XL4 and an Elite box??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-09-2012, 03:46 PM   #16
lpwcomp

Quote:
also, what is the difference in an XL4 and an Elite box??
Nothing. Just a name change.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 04:01 PM   #17
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merle Corey View Post
The requirement for MSD isn't that you have another TiVo, the requirement is that you have another TiVo with a full price sub (either for the lifetime or for the month to month). So if you buy the XL4 with MSD-discounted lifetime and sell the other two, you'll no longer have a TiVo that qualifies for future MSD discounts.
So you are interpreting the phrase "Product Lifetime Subscription must be fully paid" as referring to a non-discounted PLS. Has TiVo confirmed that this is the correct interpretation?

Old 06-09-2012, 05:21 PM   #18
Northerner26

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Nothing. Just a name change.
just a name change? why would they do that? unless one is an older model?

Old 06-09-2012, 05:27 PM   #19
lpwcomp

Quote:
just a name change? why would they do that? unless one is an older model?
I guess they wanted to emphasize the fact that it has 4 tuners.

Old 06-09-2012, 09:13 PM   #20
Merle Corey

Quote:
Merle, if thats so how did i get my second lifetime after i bought my first on the older boxes?
Presumably you gave TiVo a pile of money?

I may have introduced some confusion here. MSD is the Multi-Service Discount. I'm not saying that you can't buy lifetime, I'm saying that you'll have to jump through some hoops in order to get a $100 discount on buying lifetime. (The hoops are the ones that Unitron outlined previously - let the old S2 units call the mothership, buy the new unit, buy lifetime for it, then sell the old ones.)

I just went through that process myself - after they were offline for years, I plugged in my old S1 lifetime units in order to get the $100 discount on buying lifetime for a new Premiere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
So you are interpreting the phrase "Product Lifetime Subscription must be fully paid" as referring to a non-discounted PLS. Has TiVo confirmed that this is the correct interpretation?
I was. After searching through the forums for concrete examples, I'm completely lost. I'm no longer sure whether this is the correct interpretation, so I'll edit my previous post to reflect that. The closest I found (that included sufficient detail) related to people using a lifetime unit to get MSD on monthly units. Removing the lifetime unit resulted in having to pay full rate on one of the monthly units. I didn't find anything definitive relating to multiple lifetime units.

If nobody else can clarify, I'll at least have an answer in about 5 months. My old S1 units will go inactive again in November, so I'll see whether I qualify for MSD based on having only the discounted Premiere active.

Speaking of corrections to my previous post, the limit of 5 MSD units is per account, not per full price unit.
Merle Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:49 PM   #21
ShellKing

When I spoke to a tivo customer service rep today, he indicated that even if I stopped using my Series 1 with lifetime -- I would still qualify for MSD because I had purchased a TivoHD with lifetime a few years ago. I'm sure that I used my MSD discount to purchase that lifetime subscription. So, it would seem, that as long as you maintain one unit with a lifetime subscription you would qualify for MSD.
ShellKing is offline   Reply With Quote