TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-18-2014, 12:14 PM   #751
telemark

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomba View Post
I have attempted a JMFS copy to a 1TB drive both with source and destination SATA connected and the copy fails.

I have not run through the initial setup of TiVo yet because I was hoping to end up with a virgin image. do I need to run through that first to get these applications to work?
Also whats the error JMFS gave? But No, you should not have to run through setup to start making backups.

You can use "dd" on the JMFS cd if you're just trying to copy to another drive. My question is how is this going to be a virgin image, you never booted this drive ever before?
telemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 01:58 PM   #752
dbwilbur

I just wanted to thank ggieseke for this utility... it works like magic!
dbwilbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 05:49 PM   #753
ggieseke

Quote:
I have a TiVo Premiere TCD746320 with the original 320GB drive. I have attempted a backup on three different computers USB, USB and SATA connected using DVRBARS and in all cases the application crashed. It doesn't seem to matter whether I run the application as administrator or not and one of the computers has XP anyway.

I have attempted a JMFS copy to a 1TB drive both with source and destination SATA connected and the copy fails.

I have not run through the initial setup of TiVo yet because I was hoping to end up with a virgin image. do I need to run through that first to get these applications to work?

Has anyone seen DVRBARS crash so consistently and if so did you find a solution?

Thank you for your help.
I tried to send you the 746320 image, but you have PMs and email turned off.

I have never managed to crash the release version at all, but it should give you some kind of error message in any case. I've tried USB 2.0, USB 3.0, SATA & eSATA on XP, Windows 7, 8 & 8.1.

In any case we need the exact error messages from both jmfs and DvrBARS to troubleshoot.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 05:57 PM   #754
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbwilbur View Post
I just wanted to thank ggieseke for this utility... it works like magic!
Thanks!

P.S. I will give a free copy of DvrBARS and a gold star to the first person who can correctly identify the screen background that I used.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:50 PM   #755
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemark View Post
Also whats the error JMFS gave? But No, you should not have to run through setup to start making backups.

You can use "dd" on the JMFS cd if you're just trying to copy to another drive. My question is how is this going to be a virgin image, you never booted this drive ever before?
I think the jmfs cd v1.04 also has

ddrescue

which might be preferable to plain old

dd

for copying an entire drive.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 06:51 PM   #756
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
Thanks!

P.S. I will give a free copy of DvrBARS and a gold star to the first person who can correctly identify the screen background that I used.
But wouldn't I already have to have a copy of DvrBARS in order to see the screen background in the first place?

Granted, the gold star and bragging rights would be nice.

Old 10-18-2014, 08:25 PM   #757
mojomba

JMFS Copy attempts say somthing like "Copy Operation Failed" I don't know the specifics on that one and it takes a couple of hours for it to fail

DVRBARS crashes right after "Scanning drive A partition 9 (/var)" and generates a file that starts with a few random characters and ends with appcompat.txt. The information in that file just seems to be version info with no specific error information.

Looking at the details the Error Signature windows shows AppVer: 1.0.0.3 and Offset: 00012d92 so maybe that tells us if I have the latest version.

The Technical information link shows Exception information - Code:0xc0000005

If you have a specific set of steps you want me to follow to get better information please let me know.

Thank you.
mojomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 09:00 PM   #758
mojomba

Quote:

I booted it to make sure it worked but didn't go through any steps to set it up. If booting it up at all keeps it from being a virgin image then I stand corrected.

FYI, I now have PM and Email turned on.

Thank you again
Old 10-18-2014, 09:24 PM   #759
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
I booted it to make sure it worked but didn't go through any steps to set it up. If booting it up at all keeps it from being a virgin image then I stand corrected.

FYI, I now have PM and Email turned on.

Thank you again
Booting it has married the TSN to your drive. You may as well just let it download and update the software, since you missed the plethora of posts explaining that "virgin" means "never booted".

You can update the software, keep the image small, and un-marry it from the TSN, by following the directions I posted on how to do so, step-by-step, earlier in the thread (more than once). Look for mention of Zip Code 00000 & Tiny TiVo channel lineup, in the posts I speak of.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:28 PM   #760
telemark

Maybe one of the drives is bad or throwing an error.
This is why I proposed dd.

ddrescue is a great tool. I was concerned it would mask an error since it knows how to do a retry.

Oh wait:
0xc0000005 is an access violation.

Do you have a 2nd PC you can use instead? This one is being suspicious.

Last edited by telemark : 10-18-2014 at 10:35 PM.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:42 AM   #761
ggieseke

Quote:
JMFS Copy attempts say somthing like "Copy Operation Failed" I don't know the specifics on that one and it takes a couple of hours for it to fail

DVRBARS crashes right after "Scanning drive A partition 9 (/var)" and generates a file that starts with a few random characters and ends with appcompat.txt. The information in that file just seems to be version info with no specific error information.

Looking at the details the Error Signature windows shows AppVer: 1.0.0.3 and Offset: 00012d92 so maybe that tells us if I have the latest version.

The Technical information link shows Exception information - Code:0xc0000005

If you have a specific set of steps you want me to follow to get better information please let me know.

Thank you.
PM sent. My 746 image isn't "virgin" either, so you will have to run Clear & Delete Everything on the TiVo to marry it to the motherboard.

1.0.0.3 is the latest official version. Downloading a fresh copy couldn't hurt just in case it got corrupted somehow, but given that you have tried it on multiple PCs I'm inclined to think that the file system on that drive is corrupted. The /var partition isn't actually necessary and can be all zeros, but if it has a valid ext2 header I try to analyze & copy it for the sake of hacked S1 and S2 owners.

If you have at least 320GB of free disk space available you could try the Full Backup mode. It doesn't analyze anything, it just copies the drive byte for byte (similar to dd).
Old 10-19-2014, 07:05 AM   #762
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
But wouldn't I already have to have a copy of DvrBARS in order to see the screen background in the first place?

Granted, the gold star and bragging rights would be nice.

Darn, I knew someone would catch that.

It's free anyway, so the bragging rights are the only real incentive. I'll sweeten the pot and throw in a WAV file with the TiVo sound effect of your choice. I use the error sound (a longer version of the standard bonk) as a ringtone for people I don't like.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:41 AM   #763
telemark

Quote:
bragging rights are the only real incentive.
Shot in the dark here, but there used to a rare version of Tivo (DVR functionality) that ran on Windows PC's.
Seems like one place Tivo UI elements would come from.

Last edited by telemark : 10-19-2014 at 06:18 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:56 AM   #764
ggieseke

Quote:
Shot in the dark here, but there used to a rare version of Tivo (DVR functionality) that ran on Windows PC's.
Seems like one place Tivo UI elements would come from.
I think you mean Nero LiquidTV. Good guess, but no gold star.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:19 AM   #765
mojomba

Quote:
PM sent. My 746 image isn't "virgin" either, so you will have to run Clear & Delete Everything on the TiVo to marry it to the motherboard.

1.0.0.3 is the latest official version. Downloading a fresh copy couldn't hurt just in case it got corrupted somehow, but given that you have tried it on multiple PCs I'm inclined to think that the file system on that drive is corrupted. The /var partition isn't actually necessary and can be all zeros, but if it has a valid ext2 header I try to analyze & copy it for the sake of hacked S1 and S2 owners.

If you have at least 320GB of free disk space available you could try the Full Backup mode. It doesn't analyze anything, it just copies the drive byte for byte (similar to dd).
Thank you all for the help. I restored the image provided by ggieseke to my 1TB hard drive using DVRBARS and then expanded it with JMFS and it is working perfectly. I am still going to try and make a backup of the original drive with another machine when I have some free time and let you guys know if I get a different error or if it works.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:23 AM   #766
jmbach

Try the manufacturer's diagnostic on it first if you have not already tried it.
Old Yesterday, 06:06 AM   #767
unitron

Quote:
Thanks!

You haven't been seeing one of those Aussie TiVos behind our backs, have you?

Old Yesterday, 06:06 PM   #768
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
You haven't been seeing one of those Aussie TiVos behind our backs, have you?
I wish. Someone posted here a while back and used DvrBARS to back up their 663, but my pleas and PMs for a copy of the image fell on deaf ears. Guess a crock ate it.

Even though it's basically just a Series 3 I always wanted to take a peek under the hood to see if I could enable TTG or add anything from the US models that was missing or "cough up more money" down under.

The UI was designed to replicate the overall look and feel of my 649 S2DTs as closely as possible without actually using anything from TiVo. One forum member still doesn't agree with the shade of yellow that I chose for the "weiners", but that's life.
Old Today, 05:56 PM   #769
jefeuno

Newbie - Questions re Jmfs and DVBARS

Hello all, I am a newbie and have a couple of questions.

I have the Jmfs download. I have a perfectly running Premiere TCD746320, and want to upgrade to 2tb drive. I see this program, DVBARS, and don't know if I need it or not. Is there any advantage to using DVBARS over Jmfs? I intend to follow the instructions for transferring my files over to the 2tb drive and expanding, as the instructions for Jmfs seem pretty bulletproof. Am I missing anything?
Thanks
jefeuno is online now   Reply With Quote