TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-10-2013, 01:32 AM   #1
caddyroger

Buy hard drive from weakness or pay tivo$149

My hard drive might failing. What would be the best to do. 1 buy a hard drive for weaknees for $199. 2 Pay Tivo $149 for a equipment exchange.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:34 AM   #2
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

We upgraded with a drop-in replacement from weaknees. The advantages are 1) you keep your own TiVo, so you know what condition the TiVo is in, and 2) since we put the drive in ourselves, we had much less down time than we might have had, waiting for a replacement from TiVo.

Only you can tell what's best for you, but those are the reasons we chose the replacement drive.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:22 AM   #3
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddyroger View Post
My hard drive might failing. What would be the best to do. 1 buy a hard drive for weaknees for $199. 2 Pay Tivo $149 for a equipment exchange.
If you are sure it is a hard drive I would replace it with a larger one. Along with Weaknees many people have bought from DVR_dude on ebay you can get a 2TB upgrade from him for $178 shipped.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:47 AM   #4
mr.unnatural

A third option is to make a backup of your existing drive before it dies completely and then restore it to a virgin drive you purchased. You can do it for much less than buying a preconfigured drive from the aforementioned sources. The process is relatively simple with the current tools and there are tutorials and links to the required software in the sticky threads.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:57 AM   #5
replaytv
Lunatic Fringe

If you don't require a size upgrade , buy a used Tivo on craigslist or ebay for cheap.
If your TiVo doesn't have lifetime, put it on the shelf and save if for parts, and replace it with another working TiVo. Preferably one with lifetime.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:17 AM   #6
moedaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by replaytv View Post
If you don't require a size upgrade , buy a used Tivo on craigslist or ebay for cheap.
If your TiVo doesn't have lifetime, put it on the shelf and save if for parts, and replace it with another working TiVo. Preferably one with lifetime.
This is exactly what I did. The power supply on my Series 2 40gb model died. I found a 80gb model on craigslist for $20 and replaced both the ps and hdd. Now I have a fully functional Series 2 that has doubled the capacity, while spending $20 and some labor to fix.

You didn't say what model of Tivo you have. But I see Series 3 and Series 4 models without lifetime all of the time on craigslist for $50 - $100.
moedaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:51 AM   #7
ah30k

There are several DIY options in the upgrade forum. If your current disk is still readable you can buy your own disk and use freeware tools to copy.
ah30k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:24 PM   #8
ggieseke

Caddy,

What model number is it? There's a lot of free software like MFSLive, WinMFS & DvrBARS that will let you do it yourself fairly painlessly for around $95.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:29 PM   #9
caddyroger

Thanks guys for trying to help this dumb ass out. I ran a kick start 54 on it and every thing passed after 6 hours. When I went to the hda and others for read and write it failed.
This was 2 am this mourning. I got pissed and ordered a hard drive from weaknees. Then after I got up and read the reply I had forgotten about buying a hard drive and imaging my self.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:30 PM   #10
caddyroger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
Caddy,

What model number is it? There's a lot of free software like MFSLive, WinMFS & DvrBARS that will let you do it yourself fairly painlessly for around $95.
It is the Premiere elite TCH 758
Old 07-10-2013, 02:39 PM   #11
ggieseke

I have a factory-fresh DvrBARS 758 image if you ever need it. Since you ordered a drive from Weaknees that's probably a no, but I'll send you a PM just in case.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:02 PM   #12
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Thanks guys for trying to help this dumb ass out. I ran a kick start 54 on it and every thing passed after 6 hours. When I went to the hda and others for read and write it failed.
This was 2 am this mourning. I got pissed and ordered a hard drive from weaknees. Then after I got up and read the reply I had forgotten about buying a hard drive and imaging my self.
I highly recommend making a backup image of the weaknees drive after you get it set up.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:05 PM   #13
caddyroger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
I highly recommend making a backup image of the weaknees drive after you get it set up.
What do you use to make a backup copy?
Old 07-11-2013, 01:09 AM   #14
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
What do you use to make a backup copy?
I'd use the JMFS bootable CD, then drop down to the command line and use the same GNU dd_rescue utility that JMFS guided menus use. I doubt a weaknees drive would be recognized as a vlid drive by JMFS guided menus. You can also greatly increase the speed of the copy by using your own command line options. It works great on DVR_DUDE drives for any model.

If you don't have another equal size drive to do that with, then DVRBARS is the way to go, and has it's own thread here. Also, playing around with dd_rescue, without knowing what you are doing can lead to disasters, like selecting the wrong source & target drives for the copy/clone.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote