TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-26-2013, 03:03 PM   #1
bebw

Question Tivo that hasn't been used for a couple years

I have a Tivo that was working when I unplugged it but haven't had time to set it up again. It's been over a year, probably two years. Is it likely I will have difficulty? It's so hard to do all the set up, I thought I'd ask ahead of time.
Philips Series 1 HDR212 20 HR (YR 2000) - not working

Last edited by bebw : 05-26-2013 at 03:04 PM. Reason: wrong title
bebw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:46 PM   #2
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebw View Post
I have a Tivo that was working when I unplugged it but haven't had time to set it up again. It's been over a year, probably two years. Is it likely I will have difficulty? It's so hard to do all the set up, I thought I'd ask ahead of time.
What model is it and does it have lifetime?
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:43 PM   #3
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebw View Post
Did you move and/or now have a different service provider? If not, just plug it in and force a connection to the Tivo servers. Otherwise you will need to do a Clear and Delete Everything and then run Guided Setup again. It's not hard, it just takes time. All that being said, if the box doesn't have active Tivo service (i.e.: it's not a lifetime box) then it's a moot point and I wouldn't waste my time with it.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:59 PM   #4
bebw

getting an old Tivo up to date

It's the Humax one. I have lifetime on it. My other two Tivos died.

I changed tv's and had trouble getting Tivo to work with the cable box and rv transmitters and procastinated on putting it all back together. Now it's been over a year, maybe two.

I was out of town for a year and I remember it took me forever to get the Tivo to start up again. I think they may not only download programming but perhaps updates to software like computers. Not sure but was wondering if anyone had done this and there was an easy way..haha
Old 05-26-2013, 09:02 PM   #5
bebw

Restarting an old Tivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
Did you move and/or now have a different service provider? If not, just plug it in and force a connection to the Tivo servers. Otherwise you will need to do a Clear and Delete Everything and then run Guided Setup again. It's not hard, it just takes time. All that being said, if the box doesn't have active Tivo service (i.e.: it's not a lifetime box) then it's a moot point and I wouldn't waste my time with it.
Oh, CLEAR AND DELETE...I didn't do that before. Perhaps that was the problem. Maybe I have to wipe everything out and do guided set up again.

- Once you get used to watching TV with Tivo, it's not the same. I rarely watch TV since I unplugged my Tivo.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:26 AM   #6
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

You don't have to do a clear and delete to change providers.

It does take a while to do updates if it hasn't been plugged in for a while. The fastest way to get updates is direct connect ethernet, but you would need a USB adapter to ethernet to do that with a DVD TiVo. I was told that all Humax Tivos have a software problem that writing to DVDs can be a problem sometimes, and the software was never fixed.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:52 AM   #7
magnus
Tivo User

If you end up getting a s03 then you may have to do a clear and delete program data. That usually takes an hour or so.
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote