TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2012, 10:34 AM   #1
CorinaB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 21
Tivo Premier died before service contract ended

My tivo premiere died while I still had a few months left on my initial 2 year service contract. I called tivo to see if I could switch my service to a new box, but they told me they would replace the old one for $49. They offered me a refurb for that price, but I asked for a new one and they gave it to me for the same price! With the new box I am only obligated to finish out the last few months on my contract, and then I can pay month to month at the lower rate.

I just wanted to make sure other people in the same situation know about this, because I had planned to just buy a new tivo (with its obligatory one-year contract), and was worried I might even have to pay out the rest of my old contract in addition to the new one!

The only hitch with the exchange policy is that you need to send your old tivo back. You can do that first and then wait for it to process before they send your new box out, or you can pay a $99 deposit and they will ship your new one immediately and credit your money back when they receive your old box. Either way, they send you a prepaid shipping label.
CorinaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:05 AM   #2
lessd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: CT
Posts: 6,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorinaB View Post
My tivo premiere died while I still had a few months left on my initial 2 year service contract. I called tivo to see if I could switch my service to a new box, but they told me they would replace the old one for $49. They offered me a refurb for that price, but I asked for a new one and they gave it to me for the same price! With the new box I am only obligated to finish out the last few months on my contract, and then I can pay month to month at the lower rate.

I just wanted to make sure other people in the same situation know about this, because I had planned to just buy a new tivo (with its obligatory one-year contract), and was worried I might even have to pay out the rest of my old contract in addition to the new one!

The only hitch with the exchange policy is that you need to send your old tivo back. You can do that first and then wait for it to process before they send your new box out, or you can pay a $99 deposit and they will ship your new one immediately and credit your money back when they receive your old box. Either way, they send you a prepaid shipping label.
Did you purchase the first TiVo from TiVo itself, and if you did what did you pay? if $0 + 2 years monthly (at a higher rate) I thought you also got a 2 year full warranty on the system, than you should have paid nothing to TiVo for the exchange.
If I am incorrect on the above please let me know.
__________________
Les Daniels

_____________________________________________
3 Roamio Plus upgraded to 2Tb & 3Tb, and 2 Minis,
lessd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:59 PM   #3
steve614
what ru lookin at?
 
steve614's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 10,722
Here is what TiVo says about the hardware warranty.

Quote:
All Series2 DT, Series3, and Premiere series boxes have a 90-day warranty on parts and labor.

The parts warranty continues for the length of the commitment of the original service plan used to activate the box.

This warranty covers all new and factory-renewed boxes whether purchased from TiVo Direct or a third-party retailer.

Warranty for boxes activated with Product Lifetime Service

If you have purchased a Product Lifetime Service for the life of your Series2 DT DVRs, Series3, or Premiere series box has a 90-day warranty on parts and labor.

Following 90-days, you will have a limited warranty for no more than one (1) year from the original purchase date.
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/32

If you are past the 1 year limited warranty, normally you are charged for parts and labor when doing an exchange with TiVo.
But because the OP was under a 2 year commitment, they were only charged labor.
__________________
The Man Prayer: I'm a man ...... I can change ...... If I have to ...... I guess.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:50 PM   #4
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
...
But because the OP was under a 2 year commitment, they were only charged labor.
What labor? Shipping him a different unit?

It's not like his original is actually getting repaired and returned to him.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:58 PM   #5
steve614
what ru lookin at?
 
steve614's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 10,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
What labor? Shipping him a different unit?

It's not like his original is actually getting repaired and returned to him.
No, but the unit he returns still gets fixed and will become an exchange unit for someone else or be resold as a refurb.

I think the only reason TiVo doesn't return the same unit is because of turn around time.
__________________
The Man Prayer: I'm a man ...... I can change ...... If I have to ...... I guess.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:45 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |