Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-11-2012, 12:29 AM   #1
ImFeklhr

Channels suddenly dissapearing

My setup:
San Francisco, CA: Comcast
2 Tivos in home: 1 Premiere & 1 Comcast Cable Box in room.
1 Tivo HD in other room

About two weeks ago I found recordings on a few HD channels didn't happen, and eventually realized it was because Tivo couldn't find a signal on those channels. The message on these channels is "Searching for signal on this cable channel..."
This problem got worse over the ensuing days to the point where at least 25% of my channels wouldn't work. Then it plateaued and has not got worse.
For example:
ESPN on both standard and HD are both effected (38 and 724)
Comcast Sports is effected in HD, but mostly working in standards (720, 40)
Many channels Comcast Sports2 (721) work with no problems at all.

I checked the signal strength of channels that are still working fine and it's around 40-43. Channels that are a bit fragmented around in the 30-35 signal strength range (standard def only, haven't found any HD channels that are fragmented; HD are either working fine or not at all). Channels that aren't working at all are 0 signal strength.

My non-DVR Comcast cable box (which I once used for OnDemand access) works fine, in the same room. They split off from the same source cable, and I have tried both cords into he cable box with no problems at all.

My Tivo HD unit in the other room works without problems, with all channels in the 40ish signal strength range.
These are all units that have been working from between 1-3 years, and this problem is new.

I have tried restarting my TIVO Primiere box, as well as re-seating the M card a few times. No help.

Any suggestions or ideas as to what might be causing this issue?
ImFeklhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:40 PM   #2
rainbow

I have been having a similar problem w/cox in northern va.

see my posting at this link:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=490996

still not resolved, but have been working with tivo support by private message (see at top right side re messages after you sign in).

Here is the last responses I have received:

I have filed a lineup report to correct incorrect PGD, and for the issue tuning channels when the tuning adapter is attached, I have submitted a request to our Engineers to deploy a fix to the unit.

------------and------------

The lineup issue occurs when the Cable Provider does not properly inform Tribune Media Services (the company that makes TV Guide) of changes in advance. The issue with the Tuning Adapter is a channel mapping issue between the tuning adapter and the TiVo. There was an increase in tuning adapter channel mapping issues after the latest software release so there really is not anything you can do to prevent that type of bug from affecting you. You did everything you could I think.
rainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:27 PM   #3
shamilian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImFeklhr View Post
My setup:
San Francisco, CA: Comcast
2 Tivos in home: 1 Premiere & 1 Comcast Cable Box in room.
1 Tivo HD in other room

About two weeks ago I found recordings on a few HD channels didn't happen, and eventually realized it was because Tivo couldn't find a signal on those channels. The message on these channels is "Searching for signal on this cable channel..."

I checked the signal strength of channels that are still working fine and it's around 40-43. Channels that are a bit fragmented around in the 30-35 signal strength range (standard def only, haven't found any HD channels that are fragmented; HD are either working fine or not at all). Channels that aren't working at all are 0 signal strength.

My non-DVR Comcast cable box (which I once used for OnDemand access) works fine, in the same room. They split off from the same source cable, and I have tried both cords into he cable box with no problems at all.

My Tivo HD unit in the other room works without problems, with all channels in the 40ish signal strength range.
These are all units that have been working from between 1-3 years, and this problem is new.

I have tried restarting my TIVO Primiere box, as well as re-seating the M card a few times. No help.

Any suggestions or ideas as to what might be causing this issue?
I think your signal strengths are too weak for the Tivo (regardless of the fact that the comcast box works.) I suggest either fewer splits or a booster...

You could ask comcast to send a lineman to check the signal level at your entry, they can boost the line in the street, but it is more hassle than it is worth.
shamilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:50 PM   #4
scole250

It's not just signal strength. The noise has to be below a certain level too, like FDC no more than +/- 10dBmv, maybe less. Any more noise than that and tuning adapter won't function properly. Not a Tivo issue, it's a fact of life with SDV. Messes up cable co set top boxes too.