TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-15-2013, 08:04 AM   #1
Spiff72

Upgrade Confusion - Tivo HD to Premiere XL4

Hello everyone...

I have been a Tivo customer for a LONG time back to the first series 2 single tuner DVR, but now have a Series 3, and a Tivo HD. I am paying about $13 for one of them and $7 for the second one.

I would like to replace the Series 3 with a Premiere XL4, and want to know my options. Can I just replace the Series 3 online with the Premiere and keep the same monthly pricing?

I see that this DVR is available online and in store (Best Buy) for $350 ($50 off) right now, and I would love to have 4 tuners at my disposal on one device.

Is this an option?

Thanks!
Spiff72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:21 AM   #2
jrtroo
User

If you plan on being a customer for the next two years, what you should really consider is LIFETIME.

In addition, if you purchase a premiere with lifetime, you will probably be offered 99 lifetime on your older unit. Jump on that, and sell if unneeded to offset the new Premiere.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:42 AM   #3
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

I did exactly what you are proposing (and actually mirror your history -- my first TiVo was a Series 2). TiVo will tell you that the monthly pricing for the Series 4 units is now $14.99/month. I dickered with them until they let me keep my S3's rate of $12.95.
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:58 AM   #4
Spiff72

Crazy question...

I could be remembering this wrong, but when my S2 died, and Tivo offered me a refurb Tivo HD, when I went to activate it I think I went to the "Change Service Number" option on the account, picked the S2 number, changed it to the HD service number, and I was off and running. Never even had to call Tivo. Is that a different situation because they were offering me a replacement for cheap, or did I somehow find a loophole?

And I don't know about the lifetime subs. That is a big chunk of change up front ($400 for the Premiere and another $100 if they offer it for the other one). That is a 25 month time to pay off if I can keep paying the $20/month I am for my two boxes.
Spiff72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:16 AM   #5
jrtroo
User

Yes, it is a big pot of $$. But, financially you are way better off. Plus, it strongly reflects in resale value, which helps with future upgrades.

Look up the value of a S3 on ebay with/without lifetime- the difference is way more than the 99, which helps defray the upfront costs.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:49 AM   #6
MsUnderstood

You should call TIVO and ask them if you are eligible for the upgrade offers that are pooring out for customers (it may only be lifetime members but see what you can get). They are offering the Premiere 4 for $549 with lifetime (but not the XL).
MsUnderstood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:38 PM   #7
Ben_Jamin75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiff72 View Post
Crazy question...

I could be remembering this wrong, but when my S2 died, and Tivo offered me a refurb Tivo HD, when I went to activate it I think I went to the "Change Service Number" option on the account, picked the S2 number, changed it to the HD service number, and I was off and running. Never even had to call Tivo. Is that a different situation because they were offering me a replacement for cheap, or did I somehow find a loophole?.
I just upgraded from a HD box to a XL4 box. I tried the TSN change link on the website and it wouldn't take it, it recognized it as a premiere TSN and gave an error. Wheni called they said I couldn't transfer a monthly 6.95 or 9.95 to a premiere, it had to be 12.95 or 14.95.
Ben_Jamin75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:52 PM   #8
ohporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_Jamin75 View Post
I just upgraded from a HD box to a XL4 box. I tried the TSN change link on the website and it wouldn't take it, it recognized it as a premiere TSN and gave an error. Wheni called they said I couldn't transfer a monthly 6.95 or 9.95 to a premiere, it had to be 12.95 or 14.95.
I tried the same thing with my HD box. They said you had to have a S3/HD with a lifetime TSN for the $550 offer. Fortunately, today's BIGGAME promo was $50 more so we went to P4 w/ lifetime and added lifetime for $99 to our HD to sell it off. Wife won't let me pull the plug and wants a Tivo Mini for the other room so this is the best I could do...can't go back to the TWC boxes.
ohporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:35 PM   #9
PooperScooper

I had a TivoHD and bought a XL4. It cost the same to get lifetime on both as it would have for just the XL4. So I now have 2 lifetime Tivos. I decided to keep TivoHD but I could have gotten more than $99 that it cost more to get lifetime on it.

larry