TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-09-2013, 07:05 PM   #1
dawsonrd

Second Tivo Premiere

I have two questions:
1. Is there a search function on this Forum?
2. If I buy a second Tivo for another room do I need to pay an extra monthly charge? My intent is simply to view the Tivo I now have in another room. If there is another way to do this, what is it?
dawsonrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:08 PM   #2
WhiskeyTango

1. Yes, at the top of the page
2. Yes, each Tivo has to have a subscription. You could opt for a Tivo Mini but that also requires a sub, albeit much cheaper than a full fledged Tivo. Right now the Mini only works with the 4 tuner Premiere.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:19 PM   #3
heyted

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawsonrd View Post
If I buy a second Tivo for another room do I need to pay an extra monthly charge?
No. You do not have to pay for a subscription to use some of the TiVo's functions. Some of the TiVo's functions that can be used without TiVo service varies by the software version and TiVo settings.

Quote:
My intent is simply to view the Tivo I now have in another room. If there is another way to do this, what is it?
Use a wireless HDMI cable or run a long cable. A smartphone can be used as a remote.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=504146
heyted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:36 PM   #4
MeInDallas

Quote:
If I buy a second Tivo for another room do I need to pay an extra monthly charge? My intent is simply to view the Tivo I now have in another room. If there is another way to do this, what is it?
If your intent is to stream or transfer shows recorded on another Tivo then the answer is yes, you have to pay a subscription on the 2nd Tivo.

Tivo Mini and a 4 tuner model would be better for you like the other poster said.
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:23 PM   #5
mattack

Or you could easily use cheap PowerMIDs to send the existing remote control to the other room. (Tivo remotes are by far better than a smartphone, EXCEPT for typing in long text, but I do that so infrequently, I still don't get my phone out of my pocket most of the time.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:57 PM   #6
poofy

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyted View Post
No. You do not have to pay for a subscription to use some of the TiVo's functions. Some of the TiVo's functions that can be used without TiVo service varies by the software version and TiVo settings.

Wrong! Without a sub (even on your 2nd or 3rd Tivo), Tivo is a brick. (when you buy a new Tivo you have a 7 or 14 day trial period).
poofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:02 PM   #7
heyted

Quote:
Originally Posted by poofy View Post
Without a sub (even on your 2nd or 3rd Tivo), Tivo is a brick.
This is a common misconception. A TiVo is not a brick without TiVo service.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=498505
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...=462985&page=2
Old 05-15-2013, 01:58 AM   #8
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyted View Post
This is a common misconception. A TiVo is not a brick without TiVo service.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=498505
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...=462985&page=2
True, that an unsubscribed TiVo Premiere will act as a VCR for manual recordings, which indicates it's not a brick, but will not have pretty much any of the features and functions that make a TiVo a "TiVo". No guide, no program descriptions and titles, no streaming, no transferring, no searching, no TiVo suggestions, no season passes, no wish lists, and no web videos like YouTube and Netflix.
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:21 AM   #9
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhites View Post
True, that an unsubscribed TiVo Premiere will act as a VCR for manual recordings, which indicates it's not a brick, but will not have pretty much any of the features and functions that make a TiVo a "TiVo".
FALSE. An unsubscribed TiVo Premiere has no recording functions.

All you get are the 30 minute buffers for Live TV.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:54 PM   #10
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Or you could easily use cheap PowerMIDs to send the existing remote control to the other room. (Tivo remotes are by far better than a smartphone, EXCEPT for typing in long text, but I do that so infrequently, I still don't get my phone out of my pocket most of the time.)
Agreed. I LOVE the peanut. I use the iPhone if I need to do a bunch of SP's or something else with heavy text input.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:27 PM   #11
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post

I really don't think I am, but it's a possibility. Maybe it changed from 2009.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:03 PM   #12
replaytv
Lunatic Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post

If the Premiere doesn't have the latest software and it hasn't connected to the 'Mother ship' since the subscription has been discontinued, then you CAN record using the manual record function, but the time will drift after a while, so timed recording will be off. It is possible to set the time without closing the boxs' ability to record, but it is very difficult to update the time but disconnect the connection quick enough so it doesn't shutdown the recording function. It really isn't worth the time. Just pay for the monthly service or buy the lifetime service. In addition, I think legally you agree to not use the box without paying for some kind of service. You can't stream or transfer without service in any case.

If the Premiere has service of any type (even lifetime!) and has the latest software but hasn't connected to the Mother ship for long enough, recording will be shut off and it will do strange things when pressing the tv guide button.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:33 PM   #13
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by replaytv View Post
If the Premiere doesn't have the latest software and it hasn't connected to the 'Mother ship' since the subscription has been discontinued, then you CAN record using the manual record function, but the time will drift after a while, so timed recording will be off. It is possible to set the time without closing the boxs' ability to record, but it is very difficult to update the time but disconnect the connection quick enough so it doesn't shutdown the recording function. It really isn't worth the time. Just pay for the monthly service or buy the lifetime service. In addition, I think legally you agree to not use the box without paying for some kind of service. You can't stream or transfer without service in any case.

If the Premiere has service of any type (even lifetime!) and has the latest software but hasn't connected to the Mother ship for long enough, recording will be shut off and it will do strange things when pressing the tv guide button.
Actually this happened to me when I was having internet issues after Hurricane Sandy and I had about a month of leeway before the box shut down. It occurred in November and I was able to watch and record shows using the guide data until that ran out, then was able to manually record programs until the end of December when the box then listed itself as "account closed" and wiped the hard drive.
Old 05-18-2013, 04:07 AM   #14
replaytv
Lunatic Fringe

Quote:
when the box then listed itself as "account closed" and wiped the hard drive.
I have never known a case of any TiVo wiping the hard drive because the account was closed, or for that matter for any other reason. I have probably 30 Tivos of just about all series, types, sizes and with and without Lifetime and everything else and I have never seen the hard drive wiped.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:59 AM   #15
heyted

Quote:
Originally Posted by replaytv View Post
I think legally you agree to not use the box without paying for some kind of service.
What makes you think that? Did you mean to say that you agree to not use the TiVo service without paying for the TiVo service? Manual recording is not part of the TiVo service.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:48 AM   #16
heyted

Quote:
No guide, no program descriptions and titles, no streaming, no transferring, no searching, no TiVo suggestions, no season passes, no wish lists, and no web videos like YouTube and Netflix.
Adding a ~$100 Google TV device to a Premiere with no TiVo service allows many of the abilities you listed and more. A Google TV device is uniquely well suited for this due to the HDMI passthru that allows things to be overlaid on the screen without changing the TV input. I am just saying people have a choice.

Guide........................................ ✓
Program descriptions and titles... ✓
Streaming*................................ ✓
Transferring*............................. ✓
Searching................................. ✓
TiVo suggestions....................... X
Season passes......................... X
Wish lists................................. X
YouTube................................... ✓
Netflix...................................... ✓

*Independent of and not involving TiVo