TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-28-2013, 01:18 PM   #31
JYoung
Series 3

I liked it.
I like the relationship between Williams and Gellar and want to see more.

However, since this is David E. Kelley production, there's a good chance that this could go off the rails down the road.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 04:06 PM   #32
Lord_Skywalker

I loved the extended scene/gag scene at the end of the credits with Clarkson cracking up due to Williams and the other guy ad libbing their singing lines.

Xbox Gamertag: Lord Fett
Lord_Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 05:17 PM   #33
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchance View Post
Blatant product placement is horrible and jarring. Product placement in a realistic situation is REALISTIC. I think it wouldn't have worked as well if it was some made up product. And as mentioned above, it wasn't purchased by McDonald's, and if it was, the plot about singing about sex probably wouldn't be there. As an aside, RW mentioning taking SMG to McDonald's when she was 5 immediately made me think of: <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ss7_5PSnyA">YouTube Link: Burger King</a> Not McDonald's, but still. Greg
Highslide JS

Old 09-30-2013, 08:00 AM   #34
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I thought this was the funniest of the new sticoms. I agree, the chemistry between RW and SMG was terrific. I think it works because she's very understated in the part and he's a bit of a loon, so she kind of brings him back. I thought the supporting cast was really good as well. I am a RW fan, but didn't have high hopes for this show. I am very surprised it was that good.

I too wondered how much McDonalds paid for the product placement and surprised they didn't. I know of like that they used a real product, as it gives some credence to the ad agency, much like the real products do the same on Mad Men.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:01 PM   #35
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Though I don't really care for SMG, I'll keep watching.
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:30 PM   #36
2004raptor

Never been a RW fan at all. Caught this Saturday night and was surprised I liked it. Once or twice he made some annoying voices, etc that reminded me of why I don't care for him but he didn't really overdo it.

I'll set a season pass for it in hopes he doesn't get too wild.
2004raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:42 PM   #37
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
I liked it.
I like the relationship between Williams and Gellar and want to see more.

However, since this is David E. Kelley production, there's a good chance that this could go off the rails down the road.

A good chance?

About as good a chance the sun will set in the west today and rise in the east tomorrow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:22 PM   #38
mattack

When has a David E. Kelley show go off the rails?

(semi-joking.. but the only one I can think of that I started that I *didn't* stick with is the one set in the school.. Though they mucked with Harry's Law in the 2nd season.. Though I think I lost some eps in my self-inflicted hard drive crash and/or there are some on my unplugged S1 Tivo).

But seriously, being a David E. Kelley show is a stamp of approval in my opinion.. Same with David Mamet and Aaron Sorkin.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:32 PM   #39
fmowry

Too much Robin Williams for me. If you don't like the nonsensical "say a bunch of unrelated crap real fast" Robin Williams schtick I don't think you will like this. He does it every time he talks which is half the dialogue of the show. If it was funny in spite of him I'd give it a few episodes but it wasn't.
fmowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:42 PM   #40
phox_mulder
I get paid 2watch TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmowry View Post
Too much Robin Williams for me. If you don't like the nonsensical "say a bunch of unrelated crap real fast" Robin Williams schtick I don't think you will like this. He does it every time he talks which is half the dialogue of the show. If it was funny in spite of him I'd give it a few episodes but it wasn't.
It was just the pilot, so they'd tend to feature the main attraction.

I do agree though, Robin is good in small doses, so I'm hoping the next episodes use his schtick less.

phox

TiVo S3-65 HD Hours-Lifetime
TiVo HD 20 HD Hours
DirecTV HR21-700 80+ HD Hours
DirecTV HR20-100 80+ HD Hours
Harmony 880 Remote Control
phox_mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:45 PM   #41
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmowry View Post
I know not everyone likes his riffs but "unrelated?" Not at all. There are always threads of relationship. Many are subtle and it is all done so fast that it may sound unrelated but it isn't.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:12 AM   #42
Craigbob

I enjoyed it more than I expected, and I think it was a stronger pilot/1st ep than the Michael J. Fox Show.

Robin Williams is one of my favorite actors/comedians. SP set.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:32 AM   #43
headless chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacieH View Post
I didn't realize it was a half-hour show until I watched it last night.
What's unusual about that is the show was created by David E. Kelley, who's known for his one hour dramedies like Boston Legal and Ally McBeal. I've never seen him do anything in the half hour comedy format before.
headless chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:40 PM   #44
fmowry

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
I know not everyone likes his riffs but "unrelated?" Not at all. There are always threads of relationship. Many are subtle and it is all done so fast that it may sound unrelated but it isn't.
OK. Replace unrelated with unfunny. I can take rapid fire subtle humor that is funny like many of the riffs in Happy Endings but Williams just blurts out crap that isn't funny. Changing his voice to make it a different character doesn't make it funny. To each his own.
fmowry is offline   Reply With Quote