TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-10-2013, 04:43 PM   #1
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Just when you thought there were enough Gordon Ramsay shows

Fox just announced they are going to air Junior Masterchef, where the chefs are ages 8-13. (It also announced that it picked up Hell's Kitchen for another season ("Don't shut it down!"), and (regular) Masterchef for another two.)

Didn't Fox learn anything with American Juniors?

Actually, maybe it did; AJ made sure Simon Cowell had nothing to do with it, at least on the air (somebody was afraid of the backlash if Simon started making fun of a 12-year-old, or even just telling him that he can't sing), but according to the Junior Masterchef announcement, Gordon Ramsay will be one of the hosts.

What's next - Junior So You Think You Can Dance? (or, for that matter, So You Think Thirtysomethings Can't Dance?, considering how many people call for SYTYCD to get rid of its maximum age limit, and which is more likely as I'm pretty certain the reason SYTYCD has an 18-year-old minimum rather than the 15 of Idol or 12 of The X Factor is because of child labor laws and the amount of time it takes to teach someone dance choreography)?
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:47 PM   #2
steve614
what ru lookin at?

If it is done right, it could be a good show. Do you automatically think Ramsey's involvement will result in the berating of children?
I would like to think Ramsey is better than that. I'm sure that it is taken into account that these are KIDS cooking. Chef Ramsey could be a good role model in the technical aspect of cooking food.

Hell's Kitchen is the extreme. I think Ramsey is more realistic in Master Chef. He treats adults as adults...if their food sucks, he will tell them.
Same thing with Kitchen Nightmares. He actually seems to care about the people he's trying to help there. Sure, it's a little exploitative putting that kind of laundry on TV...

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:56 PM   #3
Lee 2.0
Hoopy frood

I actually think there's a dearth of education about nutrition and the whole food industry for kids, this isn't a bad show idea if it gets kids interested or families talking about cooking and eating together.

Remember this?

What the average kid knows about food

Full disclosure: I was raised on microwaved frozen dinners eaten alone in front of the TV. We can do better.
Lee 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:08 PM   #4
Cearbhaill
I was provoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
If it is done right, it could be a good show. Do you automatically think Ramsey's involvement will result in the berating of children?
I would like to think Ramsey is better than that. I'm sure that it is taken into account that these are KIDS cooking. Chef Ramsey could be a good role model in the technical aspect of cooking food.

Hell's Kitchen is the extreme. I think Ramsey is more realistic in Master Chef. He treats adults as adults...if their food sucks, he will tell them.
Same thing with Kitchen Nightmares. He actually seems to care about the people he's trying to help there. Sure, it's a little exploitative putting that kind of laundry on TV...

I guess we'll have to wait and see.
I remember hearing that he did Hell's Kitchen to be able to make Master Chef.
Or to finance Kitchen Nightmares.
Or something like that

In other words he does the trashier shows that generate more revenue so that he can do the classier shows that aren't as lucrative.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:18 PM   #5
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
His British Kitchen Nightmares was quite good, he seemed to genuinely want to help the people get on the right track.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:55 AM   #6
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
What's next - Junior So You Think You Can Dance? (or, for that matter, So You Think Thirtysomethings Can't Dance?, considering how many people call for SYTYCD to get rid of its maximum age limit, and which is more likely as I'm pretty certain the reason SYTYCD has an 18-year-old minimum rather than the 15 of Idol or 12 of The X Factor is because of child labor laws and the amount of time it takes to teach someone dance choreography)?
I'm pretty sure the reason SYTYCD has an 18-year old minimum is to protect the young dancers from tearing themselves up while they are still developing. If you train in ballet, for example, you have to mature past a certain point before you can go on point.

Also, if junior dancing is anything like juniors in ice skating, the maturity of the performances just isn't there yet. The ballroom kids could bring it, and maybe the ballet and street kids, but for a lot of the other disciplines, they won't have enough sense of who they are as dancers yet. We might see a lot of 'one note dancing' and IMHO we see enough of that on the main show as it is.
[/hijack]
Old 05-11-2013, 03:17 AM   #7
rahnbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by zordude View Post
His British Kitchen Nightmares was quite good, he seemed to genuinely want to help the people get on the right track.
His F Word was very good too. A little mix of No Reservations, a cooking competition occasionally with celebrities, and a healthy cooking show.
rahnbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:22 AM   #8
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

IMO the American incarnations of his shows have been trash, while the British versions have been quite good.
pdhenry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:51 AM   #9
Idearat

On one of his UK shows he would frequently have his kids on, showing them how to make things. They also raised a couple pigs ( to be eaten ) and discussed with his kids along the way what the pig's ultimate fate would be.

So I've seen him work with kids and cooking so I'd be optimistic. Hopefully the American producers don't try to crank up the faux drama like they do on so many other reality shows.
Idearat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:02 AM   #10
sharkster

Hmm, little kids, eh? I'm not a kid person so, while I tend to watch all Ramsay's shows, I'm not sure if I will want to watch a kiddie version. Maybe if they're Brit kids. I'd watch that.

I'm sure he won't have on his Hell's Kitchen personna for a kid's show. Except for HK, he has always been very respectful toward women and kids.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:19 PM   #11
cheesesteak
Meh.

I used to love Gordon Ramsay a long time ago. Like Emeril, he got overexposed and I stopped caring. I'll skip his newest endeavor too.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is online now   Reply With Quote