TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Suggestion Avenue
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-17-2013, 02:51 PM   #1
ahwman

Unify "My Shows" between multiple TiVo's

Whole home DVR isn't a new concept and therefor isn't it time to unify multiple TiVo's into one master "My Shows", "To Do List", "Season Passes"' etc.? This certainly would make navigation across multiple TiVo's MUCH easier...
ahwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:39 AM   #2
Christian Dad
TiVo Tinkerer

How do I "Thumbs Up" on this!

(2011) TiVo XL
(2007) TiVo HD --> 1TB
Wireless
(2005) S2 --> 182hrs. (2006) --> 611hrs.
Christian Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:20 AM   #3
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Dad View Post
How do I "Thumbs Up" on this!
Make your preference known.

http://advisors.tivo.com/wix5/p2272893819.aspx

TiVo is more likely to see it there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:44 AM   #4
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Make your preference known.

http://advisors.tivo.com/wix5/p2272893819.aspx

TiVo is more likely to see it there.
I would say that has been the number one most requested feature for ten years - Closely followed by
cooperative tuners.

But I also do not want the consolidated NPL if it slows down my current Now Playing list.

Consider how today when you select the NPL from your local TiVo, you have a second or two delay as it builds the NPL. Imagine now if you had three or four TiVo's that had to be polled, the data consilidated and the NPL rendered.

Might as well go to the bathroom while you wait!

If that is what a consolidated NPL looks like, then no thank you.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:21 PM   #5
mr_smits

Yes; this is a desirable feature. The thought is that this will likely not happen anytime soon because Tivo is moving towards the hub/spoke model with hubs being Tivo Elites or rumored 6-tuner Tivo (maybe one day there will be a 8 tuner Tivo?) with Tivo Minis as the spokes that stream content. It's a better model and likely the way the unified My Shows will work.
mr_smits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:43 PM   #6
lpwcomp

If they ever implement this, it better be something I can disable because I sure don't want it.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:15 PM   #7
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
If they ever implement this, it better be something I can disable because I sure don't want it.
Why would you not want it? I can't for the life of me think of a reason why anyone would not want these features.
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:07 PM   #8
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus View Post
Why would you not want it? I can't for the life of me think of a reason why anyone would not want these features.
Because I don't want the NPL of the TiVo only I use cluttered up with all of the crap recorded by other members of the household.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:20 PM   #9
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Cooperative tuners are higher on my list.

If they ever did create a consolidated NPL, I hope it comes with the user profiles mocked up some time ago.

I would hate to have all my kids stuff in my NPL.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:50 AM   #10
compnurd

This is thought to be included in the Spring Update. When I asked Margrat about this after the Fall Update, she mentioned this was coming next. We shall see.

I would imagine it would look like most cable companies or Direct TV's NPL and just list all shows between DVRS on the list. If there is duplicates it will group them
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:19 AM   #11
PCurry57
Liberal Hippie Chick

This is what DirecTV did when they introduced Whole Home to their HD DVR's. In the information segment it also included the name if on another TiVo. For the nah sayers getting all uptight calm down. I would expect that in the NPL list filter options i.e. Alpha/Date perhaps by TiVo or limit by THIS TiVo ONLY would be.

The one other thing this would affect is how then do you schedule a recording or season pass in another room. Of course this needs work anyway the convoluted way it works now is to convoluted. It's a lot of excess work to first browse the NPL, scroll to the TiVo you want to schedule on, press guide, select program, press info, press explore. It would really be nice if I could press record and choose the TiVo; recording conflict fine just choose a different TiVo w/o going through the preceding mess-o-steps again.
PCurry57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:59 AM   #12
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCurry57 View Post
This is what DirecTV did when they introduced Whole Home to their HD DVR's. In the information segment it also included the name if on another TiVo. For the nah sayers getting all uptight calm down. I would expect that in the NPL list filter options i.e. Alpha/Date perhaps by TiVo or limit by THIS TiVo ONLY would be.

The one other thing this would affect is how then do you schedule a recording or season pass in another room. Of course this needs work anyway the convoluted way it works now is to convoluted. It's a lot of excess work to first browse the NPL, scroll to the TiVo you want to schedule on, press guide, select program, press info, press explore. It would really be nice if I could press record and choose the TiVo; recording conflict fine just choose a different TiVo w/o going through the preceding mess-o-steps again.
To be honest, If you have multiple DVR's then the Season passes and To do lists should remain with each unit. it should not be rocket science for people to sort there season passes and know what conflicts.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:07 AM   #13
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnurd View Post
To be honest, If you have multiple DVR's then the Season passes and To do lists should remain with each unit. it should not be rocket science for people to sort there season passes and know what conflicts.
Wrong. I have 4 tivos, 3 family members, each setting season passes on each unit. It is near impossible to do this, since you cannot see the season passes on the unit you are not on.

A user program kmttg allows this a bit. It lets you see and MOVE season passes between tivo premiere units!
Tivo (S2-retired, 500gb HD, 2 units)
TivoHD (2tb HD, chip mod, 2 units)
Tivo Premiere (2tb HD)
Tivo Premiere4 (2tb (JMFS) HD)
philhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:48 PM   #14
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by philhu View Post
Wrong. I have 4 tivos, 3 family members, each setting season passes on each unit. It is near impossible to do this, since you cannot see the season passes on the unit you are not on.

A user program kmttg allows this a bit. It lets you see and MOVE season passes between tivo premiere units!
Tivo.com does the same thing. Pull up two tivos next to each other and sort the season passes.. very easy
Old 02-22-2013, 12:59 PM   #15
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnurd View Post
Tivo.com does the same thing. Pull up two tivos next to each other and sort the season passes.. very easy
Except it does not work on the tivo.com one.

1) The season passes are always sent to the other tivo out of order
2) Any season passes for shows that do not have any scheduled episodes for more than 14 days out get moved with the program name 'Corrupt-Delete Me'

I spent 4 days trying to use that feature. It simply does not work
Tivo (S2-retired, 500gb HD, 2 units)
TivoHD (2tb HD, chip mod, 2 units)
Tivo Premiere (2tb HD)
Tivo Premiere4 (2tb (JMFS) HD)
philhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:45 PM   #16
compnurd

Hmmm never had that issue with it.. everything is in order
Old 02-23-2013, 11:54 AM   #17
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Because I don't want the NPL of the TiVo only I use cluttered up with all of the crap recorded by other members of the household.
Ah, that makes sense. I have two Premiers and use OTA only. There are not enough tuners in one box to record everything. I don't like having to manage which box should record what and what each box has on it. Yes, a drawback would be having all my kids' shows in an integrated NPL but I'm willing to live with that to not have to worry about where things record and which box they are on.
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote