TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Stream
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-19-2012, 11:25 AM   #31
kfb5926

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Dave Zatz made a comment in an article about the Stream..

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2012-09/...ream-take-two/

Which I really hope is not true. 2013 is a long ways away. I could really get some use out of a stream right now.
I'd be curious to know where Dave got that from. As vocal as Tivo has been about it being in development, I really wasn't getting the impression it would be that long.
kfb5926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:46 PM   #32
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Dave Zatz made a comment in an article about the Stream..

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2012-09/...ream-take-two/

Which I really hope is not true. 2013 is a long ways away. I could really get some use out of a stream right now.
September 2013 probably with TiVo's track record.
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:50 PM   #33
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfb5926 View Post
I'd be curious to know where Dave got that from. As vocal as Tivo has been about it being in development, I really wasn't getting the impression it would be that long.

over the years tivo has crowed about projects that never materialized and others that have taken years and years to get done. I'm a big TiVo fan but they are just painfully slow for just about everything- its painful to wait all the time.

The good news is- maybe the current MSRP includes and apple-tax and it will drop a bunch before they finally get it ready for Android.

(also it's not entirely impossible they stop selling the stream before the android support is ever completed and instead they tell us we need to buy series 5 hardware to get android support)
Old 09-27-2012, 02:13 PM   #34
compnurd

Just saw this on the release notes for the Kindle App Update

? TiVo Stream support will be coming to Android in a future release
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:05 AM   #35
kfb5926

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnurd View Post
Just saw this on the release notes for the Kindle App Update

? TiVo Stream support will be coming to Android in a future release
They should make it an open source project for their users, we'd have it written by now.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:51 AM   #36
kfb5926

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
That article says they expect Android to overtake Apple soon. I don't think that's going to happen.
Dan
According to Pew Research, it's already happening. It puts the numbers at 52% for iOS to 48% for Android. In one year, Apple's market share went from 81% to 52%.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:27 PM   #37
Dan203
Super Moderator

Thats based on a survey of 9,500 people, hardly conclusive evidence. Unfortunately most of the companies involved don't release exact sales figures so there is no way to say for sure. And as I said in my original post the main reson people buy Android tablets is price. Once the iPad Mini hits that's going to be less of a factor and I think it's going to slow Android's adoption in the space. Now I'm not some Apple zealot, they can be beat, I just don't think it will happen any time soon. But obviously they are worried which is why they are releasing a Mini even though Jobs said they never would.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:42 PM   #38
hefe
Rebus Philbin

The relative ratio isn't even that important. The point is that there's enough android devices out there for it to be worth it to do.

Hefe's a cruel man, but fair.~edhara
That hefe, he's really smart!~Fish Man
hefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:56 PM   #39
Dan203
Super Moderator

I agree, and TiVo seems to as well since they've said they are working on it. However if I were working on a product that I planned to release for both, but only had enough resources to do one at a time, I'd choose the iPad first too. Not only are there more iPad users but they tend to have more disposable income, as evidenced by the expensive toy, which means they're more likely to buy the product.

Dan
Old 10-02-2012, 03:05 PM   #40
jrtroo
User

I believe that studies have been done that show that iOS users are way more likely to download any given app, pay for an app, and pay through an app. I would guess that is a gap that is closing, but still supports putting your money where the money is.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:07 PM   #41
DCleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Thats based on a survey of 9,500 people, hardly conclusive evidence. Unfortunately most of the companies involved don't release exact sales figures so there is no way to say for sure. And as I said in my original post the main reson people buy Android tablets is price. Once the iPad Mini hits that's going to be less of a factor and I think it's going to slow Android's adoption in the space. Now I'm not some Apple zealot, they can be beat, I just don't think it will happen any time soon. But obviously they are worried which is why they are releasing a Mini even though Jobs said they never would.

Dan
I don't really care about the Apple.v.Google debate but a sample of 9,500 people is a VERY good sample size. I'm not sure how much margin of error you would need but that would more than suffice for most purposes.
DCleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:23 PM   #42
Dan203
Super Moderator

Not when you consider the types of people who actually talk to pollsters. That's why I put absolutely no weight in the current political polls. The only people who actually answer the phone and talk to those people are retirees and hermits with nothing better to do. The rest of us just send the call to voicemail or hang up immediately.

Dan
Old 10-11-2012, 07:20 PM   #43
aaronwt
HD Addict

I answer the polls periodically. I do about one or two a week. But I'm getting many more calls than that for polls each week since I am in swing state. Between the calls to answer polls and the calls to support Obama or Romney, I see around five to ten every day.

Although Columbus day seemed like it was none stop. There were over twenty calls that day. Although I only picked up the phone once.

And then there is everything that shows up in my mailbox each day. What a waste of trees.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt : 10-12-2012 at 12:53 PM. Reason: spelling doh!!
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:32 AM   #44
danjw1

This is pretty standard. Two reasons, iOS is a single target, Android has multiple flavors. Google is cracking down on that a bit, but it still isn't as easy as iOS. Also, this is targeted at tablets, and iPads have outsold all other tablets. Most manufacturers of consumer electronics have released an iOS app before the comparable Android one.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:46 PM   #45
MichaelK

just to pipe in again- doesn't matter to me that they go ios first- that's understandable. The STUPID bit is that they take forever to come out with android after ios.

I dont know- so I'll ask- are their tools or a language or something so you could write one app and for the most part it would work on both ios and android (even with some reasonable amount of tweaking)? Is that the point of what adobe air is supposed to become?
Old 10-13-2012, 02:42 AM   #46
Dan203
Super Moderator

There are some cross platform tools that allow you to once and publish to both devices. However they're relatively new so most apps that were written more the a year or so ago were most likely written in the native languages of the devices. In the case of iOS that's Objective C and in the case of Android thats mostly Java with a little native C/C++ for the real low level stuff. Not only are the two languages very different but the APIs for the two platforms are also very different. It's basically the same as writing an app for both Windows and Mac. You pretty much need two teams, or one very versatile team, to create native apps for each platform.

Dan