TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-02-2012, 08:07 AM   #1
buscuitboy

Question Anyone use a Vulkano with TiVo?

I am looking at several options to get my HD digital cable TV subscription to a basement TV. Its not used frequently down there so I want something flexible. The TiVo "mini" is one option I am waiting for (provided it doesn't fully "hijack" a tuner) and using an Xbox360 with Ceton/SiliconDust products is another route I am considering.

A few months ago I got a Western Digital Live Hub player and Slingbox SOLO since both can be used together to stream live content from my upstairs TiVo to a basement TV (using the WDTV as the receiver). However, the quality stunk and the controls were EXTREMELY lagging. Even over my hard wired home network, changing a channel took a good 10-15 secs. The Slingbox had to be reset frequently too. Needless to say, I returned the Slingbox SOLO (but did keep the WDTV hub) since I didn't feel it was worth the price tag.

I know they also have new slingboxes out (model 350 & 500), but am hesitant to try them again thinking I would experience the same results as before.

Another similar product I have seen out there and considered is the Monsoon Multimedia Vulkano devices. I thought about getting both a 'Flow' & 'Blast' in order to be able to send the live TV (from TiVo) to this basement TV. Like the Slingbox, I am aware that changing channels will affect BOTH TV viewings so no need to point this out.

Has anyone used these Vulkano products with TiVo to stream live TV in their home to an additional TV? Is it any good and/or worth it? Quality good or bad? Any other advantages/disadvantages?
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:14 AM   #2
aaronwt
HD Addict

I have a SlingBox 350 and a Hava HD which is the predecessor to the Vulkano. The Hava HD is only SD and from the PC program does provide good quality. But the viewing from the Slingbox350 blows away the quality of the HavaHD/Vulkano with their tablet and phone apps, even though it's still SD on those devices. The PC app for the Slingbox will show it in HD though. And you can get HD from the Boxee Box Slingbox app too.

But if I were getting something and didn't already have the SLingBox and Hava, I would either wait for the mini or get something cheap to tide me over until the mini is released. If you can find a Hava HD for only $60 or so (I paid around that for mine over 3 years ago from Woot!) and you have a PC at the TV, you could use that for now until the TiVo Mini is released. Otherwise the Slingbox 350 retails for $180 which is a little high.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:18 PM   #3
WestTx

I've had the Vulkano Flow for a year-and-a-half. Although the picture quality is fine on an iPad, the trick-play controls are just like you experienced with the Slingbox. The lag is annoying.

I now use the Stream which works very well for me - although I know the Stream wouldn't be of use in your case with a second TV.

Les
dead Tivo Series 2 w/Lifetime
WestTx is offline   Reply With Quote