TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-21-2014, 07:50 PM   #1
hummingbird_206

The Good Wife 4/20/2014 All Tapped Out

Holy moly, I love this show.

I was so bummed when they killed off Will. I know the actor wanted out, but I just loved his character so much.

Now though, it's really getting good...what am I saying, it's GREAT!

The NSA stuff has been kinda interesting, but it has just exploded into awesome.

Kalinda and Canning sparring was awesome.

Peter flexing his muscles with the senator to get the tapping stopped was awesome.

Alicia confronting the State's Attorney about G.D...going down on him...omg, I almost feel out of my chair laughing.

I love this show!! RIP Will. Can't wait to see what happens with "L,G & C"
hah!

ETA: I may be a scumbag, but I'm your scumbag. Oh, so awesome.
hummingbird_206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:54 AM   #2
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Great episode!! I love the Canning character. I hope MJF stays with the show.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:26 AM   #3
hummingbird_206

I love to hate the Canning character! I'm ok with him sticking around.

I was looking forward the LG merging with FA, but bringing in Canning instead might be interesting. I just hope they don't go overboard with him. Like with Elsbeth, small doses are good, but too much will get annoying fast.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:35 AM   #4
TIVO_GUY_HERE
I miss the ocean

Don't know what they pay the writers, but It isn't enough.

Show just keeps getting better and better.

I don't think I have replayed so many parts of 1 episode before.
TIVO_GUY_HERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:44 AM   #5
ADG
Allan

Really don't like what they've done with the Alicia / Peter relationship. Will dies and all of a sudden she was in love with him? And so much so that she doesn't want to be with her husband with whom she had just reconciled?

None of that is in line with her character and it's neither believable nor, in my opinion, an enjoyable story line as a viewer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:06 AM   #6
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADG View Post
Really don't like what they've done with the Alicia / Peter relationship. Will dies and all of a sudden she was in love with him? And so much so that she doesn't want to be with her husband with whom she had just reconciled?

None of that is in line with her character and it's neither believable nor, in my opinion, an enjoyable story line as a viewer.
I think they're giving us some hope that they can rekindle something in the future.

I just loved the interaction between Gov. Florrick and the Senator. "Of course he'll deny there's any tapping going on." Then proceed to back him into a corner that he can't get out of. Classic.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:50 AM   #7
laria
Librocubicularist

I really like Chris Noth's character, and I feel like he's kind of under utilized.

But yeah this show has always been one of my favorites, but this season has been absolutely fantastic. Not many shows actually get better as they go on.

I hope we see more of Septemberthe SA and OzymandiasFinn. Feels so weird to see the SA actor looking and sounding normal. And mrowwwwl, Finn.

Last edited by laria : 04-22-2014 at 09:52 AM.
laria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:09 AM   #8
MikeCC
TiVotee

I like Peter Florrick, too. I enjoy not always knowing if he's on the up and up; seeing him be tempted to use the office of the Governor of Illinois for corrupt purposes, or be oh-so-close to cashing in politic favors for revenge or gain, then being pleasantly surprised at his not crossing the line.

I mean, it would be a shame, really, to see the good and pristine reputation of the Illinois Governor being besmirched by political corruption and ham-handed political opportunism.

MikeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:49 AM   #9
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
I really like Chris Noth's character, and I feel like he's kind of under utilized.

But yeah this show has always been one of my favorites, but this season has been absolutely fantastic. Not many shows actually get better as they go on.

I hope we see more of Novemberthe SA and OzymandiasFinn. Feels so weird to see the SA actor looking and sounding normal. And mrowwwwl, Finn.
The SA actor? Not following.

At one point I thought that Finn was going to be Alicia's new love interest, but I'm not sure about it now.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:55 AM   #10
laria
Librocubicularist

The SA actor, Michael Cerveris, played a character on Fringe named September. I screwed up his name in the original post. If you didn't watch Fringe, he was not really a normal human on there.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:57 AM   #11
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
The SA actor, Michael Cerveris, played a character on Fringe named September. I screwed up his name in the original post. If you didn't watch Fringe, he was not really a normal human on there.
I KNEW I knew that actor's name!! Yeah, I watched Fringe but didn't put two and two together
Old 04-22-2014, 01:52 PM   #12
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:

You haven't been paying attention.
Alicia has basically been in love with Will since Season 1.
He's the guy she probably should have been with instead of Peter.
(Owen basically says as much to Will when they ran into each other at the college campus.)

And it's present enough to where those close to her and her family have noticed.
(Owen, her mother Veronica, Jackie, Diane, Eli.)

She's been conflicted because of her sense of obligation to Peter and the kids and on some level, she did love Peter (or thought that she did).

And as Owen pointed out, she was avoiding the conflict that her love for Will was creating (part of the reason she threw in with Cary).

Now that Will's dead, this has come to a full head in her mind and she's been having issues dealing with it.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:20 PM   #13
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

And Peter was being a pretty big jerk about it and demonstrated a side to him that would turn almost anyone against him.
TAsunder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 04:04 PM   #14
hummingbird_206

Yep, Alicia put her desire for Will aside to be "The Good Wife" and mother. Now she's feeling guilty that she left LG and that she left Will. If she had stayed with Will, he might still be alive...a stretch, but I think that's what her guilt is saying to her.

I do like Peter/Chris Noth a lot. Now that will is out of the picture I would like to see them truly reconcile. But I don't think that is going to happen because who wants to tune in to see a happy couple?
Old 04-22-2014, 04:48 PM   #15
Howie
Out of Pocket

This is really my favorite show on TV. If I have several ones that I like sitting on a DVR, this is the one I'll go to first. It's always intelligent and compelling, and to me it just seems to get better and better.
Howie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:56 PM   #16
smak
TV MA SLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie View Post
This is really my favorite show on TV. If I have several ones that I like sitting on a DVR, this is the one I'll go to first. It's always intelligent and compelling, and to me it just seems to get better and better.
It's funny how that works. If somebody asks me what my favorite shows are, I just think to which shows I watch the same night as aired, and that's pretty much my list.

With Sunday nights, it's hard to even get through all the good shows before the end of the night.

-smak-
smak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:30 PM   #17
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird_206 View Post
Yep, Alicia put her desire for Will aside to be "The Good Wife" and mother. Now she's feeling guilty that she left LG and that she left Will. If she had stayed with Will, he might still be alive...a stretch, but I think that's what her guilt is saying to her.
Not only that but Jeffrey Grant was her client at LG.
Had she stayed at Lockhart/Gardner, she would most likely have been the lead attorney and who knows what would have happened.
That's playing on her guilt as well.

Quote:
I do like Peter/Chris Noth a lot. Now that will is out of the picture I would like to see them truly reconcile. But I don't think that is going to happen because who wants to tune in to see a happy couple?
In spite of the fact he cheated on his wife with prostitutes and forced employees to sleep with him?

"I aim to misbehave"
Old 04-23-2014, 06:56 AM   #18
ADG
Allan

While it's clear we all have our own opinions on this, I still feel it is completely out of character for her to react the way she did, furthering the split with Peter, because Will died. I simply don't see any rational individual responding that way. Also, I disagree that Peter "acted like a jerk" when Will died - if anything, it seemed to me he was trying his best to be sensitive to Alicia's feelings - this despite the fact she had an affair with Will.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:13 AM   #19
MikeCC
TiVotee

Quote:
While it's clear we all have our own opinions on this, I still feel it is completely out of character for her to react the way she did, furthering the split with Peter, because Will died. I simply don't see any rational individual responding that way. Also, I disagree that Peter "acted like a jerk" when Will died - if anything, it seemed to me he was trying his best to be sensitive to Alicia's feelings - this despite the fact she had an affair with Will.
I tend to agree with you. Alicia's angry outburst at Peter seemed misplaced and out of proportion. Maybe she hadn't really forgiven Peter for his past indiscretions, or maybe her emotions were in such turmoil that the past marital problems seemed easier to dredge up than deal with the guilt and sense of loss she felt with Will's death.

The only explanation I can possibly use to reconcile this behavior is implicit in your comment: "I simply don't see any rational individual responding that way." Perhaps she was so distraught that she was NOT rational at that point. Her bedridden depression, and the deep concern of her children regarding her behavior, might support this.
MikeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:05 AM   #20
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCC View Post
I tend to agree with you. Alicia's angry outburst at Peter seemed misplaced and out of proportion. Maybe she hadn't really forgiven Peter for his past indiscretions, or maybe her emotions were in such turmoil that the past marital problems seemed easier to dredge up than deal with the guilt and sense of loss she felt with Will's death.

The only explanation I can possibly use to reconcile this behavior is implicit in your comment: "I simply don't see any rational individual responding that way." Perhaps she was so distraught that she was NOT rational at that point. Her bedridden depression, and the deep concern of her children regarding her behavior, might support this.
That's how I read it. She was distraught, tired, moody, upset, and all those emotions welled up inside. Peter was in the wrong place at the wrong time and one spark set her off on him. You could see the difference in her reaction this week, when Peter was able to work the Senator on the NSA problem.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:53 AM   #21
tlc

Quote:
The NSA stuff has been kinda interesting, but it has just exploded into awesome.
Peter flexing his muscles with the senator to get the tapping stopped was awesome.
Yes, the way all the NSA stuff got wrapped up was great.
Alicia purposefully saying keywords to L,G&C.
Peter dropping bombs on the senator right after the senator said he was clear.
Do we know who put up the car for sale flyer?
Old 04-23-2014, 09:00 AM   #22
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

I must be watching a different show if you did not think Peter was a bit of a jerk to her. She was in the grieving process and he made snarky comments towards her about getting over it and getting back to normal, thus setting a flame on the conversation.
TAsunder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:00 AM   #23
billypritchard
Embiggener

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc View Post
Yes, the way all the NSA stuff got wrapped up was great.
Alicia purposefully saying keywords to L,G&C.
Peter dropping bombs on the senator right after the senator said he was clear.
I thought the NSA tap got wrapped up a little easily. And what of the investigator who has been using that info? Nothing on him since Will died, but won't he be pissed about this?

I wish they would have talked about the sale flyer a bit more. That smelled like Eli, but why not give him any credit?
Old 04-23-2014, 09:01 AM   #24
billypritchard
Embiggener

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder View Post
I must be watching a different show if you did not think Peter was a bit of a jerk to her. She was in the grieving process and he made snarky comments towards her about getting over it and getting back to normal, thus setting a flame on the conversation.
Not to mention she asked him multiple times to give her space and let her work it out, and he kept pushing. Then when she lashes out, he calls her a bitch. Nice work there, Peter.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:34 AM   #25
hummingbird_206

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
Not only that but Jeffrey Grant was her client at LG.
Had she stayed at Lockhart/Gardner, she would most likely have been the lead attorney and who knows what would have happened.
That's playing on her guilt as well.

In spite of the fact he cheated on his wife with prostitutes and forced employees to sleep with him?
No "in spite of", I like the Peter character and I like the actor. Would I want to be married to him...No. Peter is a politician. I guess right or wrong, I'm not surprised at that kind of behavior from a politician and I enjoy watching him. If he and Alicia don't get back together, then there probably won't be much use in keeping him on the show. So yes, I do hope they get back together...but it's a TV drama, so even if they get back together, they won't be happy.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:09 AM   #26
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
No "in spite of", I like the Peter character and I like the actor. Would I want to be married to him...No. Peter is a politician. I guess right or wrong, I'm not surprised at that kind of behavior from a politician and I enjoy watching him. If he and Alicia don't get back together, then there probably won't be much use in keeping him on the show. So yes, I do hope they get back together...but it's a TV drama, so even if they get back together, they won't be happy.
I don't think they need to get back together to make it work. They've been apart since the beginning of the show really. They have their times when they get closer and they fight and drift apart (which is where they are now). In some respects the whole argument they had is their relationship in a nutshell. They need each other but they really suck together, and they suck toward each other. But they have both used each other many times over. And of course there's the kids.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:24 PM   #27
Dawghows

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc View Post
In the very first scene of the little flyer montage, you can see a glimpse of the person tacking the first one to the wall. I'm reasonably sure it's the same intern whose phone Peter borrowed when he first learned of the NSA tap.
Dawghows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:43 PM   #28
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

So great to see Alicia back in the groove!

I enjoyed her phone call to grace enough to overlook that she could have called her own voicemail or the weather line and not confused her kid to get the same end result.

Peter manipulating the situation to get the tap turned off was majestic. As soon as Eli shifted in his seat I thought "he's not worthy!" but I didn't think he'd actually do it!
Old 04-23-2014, 03:12 PM   #29
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by billypritchard View Post
Not to mention she asked him multiple times to give her space and let her work it out, and he kept pushing. Then when she lashes out, he calls her a bitch. Nice work there, Peter.
Not to mention he was very dismissive of her feelings, telling her essentially to "get over it because it wasn't like she lost a family member like her children or her husband".

Once he said "husband", I knew she was going to lash out at him.
Peter really doesn't understand her.

Quote:
Ok, so you want them "back together" because keeping Peter on the show makes things interesting, not because you're on "Team Peter".
(Nods)

Well, considering that they have two kids together and still aren't legally divorced, I don't think they need to put them together to keep Peter around.
(Although I'd be more worried about them getting rid of Eli then Peter.)

"I aim to misbehave"
Old 04-23-2014, 03:34 PM   #30
hummingbird_206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
I don't think they need to get back together to make it work. They've been apart since the beginning of the show really. They have their times when they get closer and they fight and drift apart (which is where they are now). In some respects the whole argument they had is their relationship in a nutshell. They need each other but they really suck together, and they suck toward each other. But they have both used each other many times over. And of course there's the kids.
I don't think that Peter and Alicia will ever be a real couple again as in living together, happy, trusting, blah, blah, blah. But they were what I'd call 'together' after he got out of prison and was running for Gov. They supported each other, worked together, and even had sex, they just didn't live together. That's what I see as being 'back together' for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
Ok, so you want them "back together" because keeping Peter on the show makes things interesting, not because you're on "Team Peter".
(Nods)

Well, considering that they have two kids together and still aren't legally divorced, I don't think they need to put them together to keep Peter around.
(Although I'd be more worried about them getting rid of Eli then Peter.)
Yes, exactly, not on Team Peter!

And I don't want to see Eli gone, either. He's great, too! But if Peter isn't around, then there's not really anything to keep Eli around, either. Is Eli even part of LG (&C) any longer? It's like they created that connection just to keep Eli in the picture while Peter was in prison, and I didn't think it fit.