Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-05-2012, 09:31 AM   #31
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
They're making fun of the *one* ASL translator, who was incredibly over the top with her body language and facial reactions, far more so than is necessary. If you go back and watch video of the real press conference, you'll see what they're making fun of.
What's really funny is that there actually were two different translators (a black woman and a white woman) who had appeared with Bloomberg at different times over the course of the storm, and they both were over the top like that.

I don't know if that was just a coincidence, or they were instructed to be like that or what.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:50 AM   #32
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Paused it after weekend update, but so far it's the best SNL I've seen in a long time. Some of the sketches I normally dislike (old time movies) were actually pretty funny.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:56 AM   #33
BrettStah

So, when the sign language translators are doing the live translating, what exactly are they doing with their mouths?

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
BrettStah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:59 AM   #34
Kablemodem
Get the ketchup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
That Fun song sounds like Cecelia by Simon and Garfunkel.
I thought that's what they were doing until the singing started.

That has got to be the worst sound mixing I've heard on SNL. It's a good thing the lead singer has a good voice because that's pretty much all I heard.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:06 AM   #35
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettStah View Post
So, when the sign language translators are doing the live translating, what exactly are they doing with their mouths?
It depends on what you pay.

Sometimes they are mouthing out words, sometimes they are doing things with their mouths that appear to be part of the overall sign they are signing.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:16 AM   #36
busyba
The Funcooker

Here's the original girl:

Old 11-05-2012, 10:18 AM   #37
busyba
The Funcooker

Nasim Pedrad's "Jersey Girl ASL Interpreter" reminded me a lot of Kristen Wiig's Kathie Lee Gifford impression

Old 11-05-2012, 10:23 AM   #38
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

I've taken ASL classes. They take pride in making their visual narrative exciting and fun to watch. It's the same as having someone read a message-a reader who puts a dramatic spin on it is always going to be more fun to listen to.

The one they're referencing, Lydia Callas, was terrific. If you want some comparison, watch a really good interpreter do their job during a musical performance.
YCantAngieRead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:32 AM   #39
busyba
The Funcooker

What I find most impressive about the interpreters is that at times they appear to be several seconds behind what is being spoken, so they're signing one thing while at the same time listening to something else which they will need to be signing next, while again listening to something else (and so on...)

Old 11-05-2012, 10:46 AM   #40
Satchel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
Yes, in Day School.
Do they have Hebrew night school?
Satchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:46 AM   #41
Amnesia
The Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
(...) so they're signing one thing while at the same time listening to something else which they will need to be signing next, while again listening to something else (...)
Yeah, same with spoken language interpreters. Cool ability.
Amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:26 AM   #42
Donbadabon
Geocacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
Here's the original girl:
Now that was entertaining. They really got into it. I hadn't seen it before, so now the SNL skit makes sense.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:21 PM   #43
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
I hope I'm not the only one a little weirded out by all the hilarity people are getting out of the ASL translators.

To each his own, but I'm uncomfortable with the seeming pleasure the hearing world is getting mocking the deaf.
As a deaf person, I can tell you that was hilarious. Not offensive in the least. But I am not easily offended...
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:46 PM   #44
sonnik
Innovations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
Sorry. Weekend before election and the best they could do was Louis C.K.?
Who were you hoping for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder View Post
Paused it after weekend update, but so far it's the best SNL I've seen in a long time. Some of the sketches I normally dislike (old time movies) were actually pretty funny.
I agree.

Stand-up comedians hosting SNL can be hit and miss for various reasons. If you know much about Louis C.K., you have to applaud him for doing things that were obviously outside of what he normally likes to do. His character acting wasn't bad at all.

I found the "last call" sketch at the end pretty funny too.

Being a fan of the FX show "Louie" - I thought the "Lincoln" parody was one of the most original/creative SNL parodies I may have ever seen ... dating back to Patrick Stewart's episode in the 90s where they did "The Love Boat: The Next Generation".
sonnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:50 PM   #45
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnik View Post
Stand-up comedians hosting SNL can be hit and miss for various reasons. If you know much about Louis C.K., you have to applaud him for doing things that were obviously outside of what he normally likes to do. His character acting wasn't bad at all.
Well, as I found out in the Louis C.K. thread in Happy Hour, he does have a little sketch acting experience from his time on Late Night with Conan O'Brien, which probably helped.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:03 PM   #46
Amnesia
The Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnik View Post
If you know much about Louis C.K., you have to applaud him for doing things that were obviously outside of what he normally likes to do.
Well, pretty much every host does something (live sketch comedy) outside what they normally like to do.

My complain with Louis CK was that he did too much of what he normally does. I dislike when singers do a song for their cold open and I didn't like Louis CK's stand-up routine as a cold open. (Now if he did a song instead, then I'd be happier)
Old 11-05-2012, 02:24 PM   #47
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia View Post
Well, pretty much every host does something (live sketch comedy) outside what they normally like to do.

My complain with Louis CK was that he did too much of what he normally does. I dislike when singers do a song for their cold open and I didn't like Louis CK's stand-up routine as a cold open. (Now if he did a song instead, then I'd be happier)
The cold open is the part of the show before the title sequence. It is the part that ends "Live from New York, it's Saturday Night!"

The part he did the stand-up routine for is the monologue.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:36 PM   #48
Amnesia
The Question

Yes, you're right. The monologue was pure Louis CK stand-up routine. He could have done something---anything---different.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:41 PM   #49
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Seemed like new material to me. But maybe I just haven't seen anything of his for a while.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:46 PM   #50
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
He's widely regarded as the top working comic in America right now, and it was huge news when SNL announced that he'd be hosting the show. Sure, there are A-List celebs that might have provided more mass appeal, but I think that outside of that, Louis had to have been at or near the top of their list of possible hosts.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:47 PM   #51
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder View Post
Seemed like new material to me. But maybe I just haven't seen anything of his for a while.
He wasn't complaining about the material. He was complaining that a stand-up comic did stand-up comedy for his monologue. He was hoping to see Louis do something outside the box.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:15 PM   #52
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
He's widely regarded as the top working comic in America right now, and it was huge news when SNL announced that he'd be hosting the show. Sure, there are A-List celebs that might have provided more mass appeal, but I think that outside of that, Louis had to have been at or near the top of their list of possible hosts.
If anything, the fact that it's right before the election means that they're going to get viewers anyway, and they didn't have to waste that slot on a "gimmick" guest host and get a quality host instead, even if he's a little "inside".

Old 11-05-2012, 03:16 PM   #53
trainman
Nice to see you

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettStah View Post
Here's a post from Mental Floss that explains a lot about sign language.

This episode seemed to have a noticeably high amount of uses of the word "boner." I pictured one of the "SNL" producers interrupting an NBC executive to ask about the "boner" policy, and the executive, distracted by Sandy issues, saying "just do whatever you want" to get the producer to go away.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:28 PM   #54
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
He wasn't complaining about the material. He was complaining that a stand-up comic did stand-up comedy for his monologue. He was hoping to see Louis do something outside the box.
Right. I was just thinking that at least it didn't seem like re-hashed material like many stand-ups do.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:33 PM   #55
mdougie

Quote:
I thought Lois C. K. was a fine choice.

Is your issue he wasn't a famous enough celebrity?

I like talent more than celebrity.
mdougie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:34 PM   #56
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

I think another thing that most people (myself included, for a time) don't understand is that sign language utilizes not a word-for-word translation, but a rough, bare bones translation, and the expressions help fill that all in.
YCantAngieRead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:06 PM   #57
inaka

I thought the sign language skit was pretty darn funny.

And over-the-top exaggeration of real-life events, like the candidates in the debates, the people asking questions from the debates, etc. If anyone is offended, oh well. I'm guessing SNL might not be the show for them.
inaka is offline   Reply With Quote