TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-28-2012, 12:58 PM   #61
cwoody222

lrhorer: I have no idea if you're talking about modifying your Series3 or what but a stock model Series3 or HD cannot transfer content marked 0x02, just like a Premiere.

It sounds like you're talking about some hack that was possible with the S3/HD and not possible with the Premiere.

Great. A fantastic solution for .01% of TiVo users.

I'm talking about the rest of us who take the thing out of the box, plug it in, and use it. In that case, the S3/HD and Premiere are identical to how they handle 0x02 protected content.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:01 PM   #62
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Well, you may have spoken too soon:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=489184

I don't know if you have FIOS, or not, but if FIOS is joining the bandwagon, how long will it be before everyone jumps on?
Except there's a real world difference between the way Comcast applies their flags and the way TWC does, one I can live with, the other I can not.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:03 PM   #63
cwoody222

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
Except there's a real world difference between the way Comcast applies their flags and the way TWC does, one I can live with, the other I can not.
Exactly. I have zero problem with my cable company blocking channels when the channel themselves requested it.

TW just blocks everything 'cause they can.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:51 PM   #64
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Well, it doesn't say the FCC makes the requirements. Its says the FCC authorizes them to make the demands. In fact, of course, the FCC simply does not prohibit such a requirement, which in turn means making such a requirement part of a contract is not illegal.
Oh, I'm perfectly certain that it's legal for them to make it a carriage contract requirement. But I can't see where the FCC is involved (though they probably have some rules as to what a carriage contract cannot affect). Mentioning them seemed like Verizon trying to "hide behind the FCC's skirts", so to speak.

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
mikeyts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:43 PM   #65
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyts View Post
Oh, I'm perfectly certain that it's legal for them to make it a carriage contract requirement. But I can't see where the FCC is involved (though they probably have some rules as to what a carriage contract cannot affect). Mentioning them seemed like Verizon trying to "hide behind the FCC's skirts", so to speak.
Hey, that's what lawyers are for! TWC has emailed statements to those of us who raised the issue with them that were carefully worded so they could easily be misinterpreted as saying they copy protect because of programmer agreements. But upon careful reading all they say is that it's legal for them to copy protect.

Ah, being ingenuous! The next best thing to bald-faced lying! (Our TV sets will abound with blatant examples up til the November elections.)

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:39 AM   #66
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoody222 View Post
lrhorer: I have no idea if you're talking about modifying your Series3 or what but a stock model Series3 or HD cannot transfer content marked 0x02, just like a Premiere.
The difference is, with the Premier, there is no other option.

Quote:
It sounds like you're talking about some hack that was possible with the S3/HD and not possible with the Premiere.
IS, not was.

Quote:
Great. A fantastic solution for .01% of TiVo users.
No, a fantastic solution for any S3 class owner that wants to make tremendously greater use of their TiVo than the stock TiVo. Want an S3 that is significantly faster than the Premier? No problem. Want to get rid of Pause Ads? Go for it. Want to enable pop-up caller ID on the TiVo? A mere bag of shells. Want to back up season passes to a PC hard drive? As easily done as said. Want to view and manipulate the guide data using tools like a spreadsheet or text editor? Easy as falling off a log. Put up custom text and / or graphics on the screen? Run an NTP server on the Tivo? Telnet? FTP? OpenVPN? Want to transfer copyrighted material? 100% of S3 / THD owners can do all of this and far, far more if they want. 0% of Premier users can.

Quote:
I'm talking about the rest of us who take the thing out of the box, plug it in, and use it. In that case, the S3/HD and Premiere are identical to how they handle 0x02 protected content.
In which case you are also talking about people to whom this thread does not apply, not to mention ones who are willing to live with unacceptable limitations on equipment they paid for, but obviously are uninterested in actually owning.

What really flummoxes me is how people seem unable to understand the difference between what needs to be possible versus what they themselves want to do. I have absolutely no desire to strip off my shirt, paint my body, and show up at a football game in freezing weather. Neither, obviously, do 99.9999% of the people in the nation. It is exceedingly important, however, that no one try to limit the rights of each and every person to do precisely that should they so choose. I think it is an incredibly silly thing to do, if you ask me, but I will fight tooth and nail for the right of every American to make that choice themselves. I also am quite willing to fight for the (far less trivial, if you ask me) right to do as I see fit with any device which I own, provided of course it does not violate the rights of any other individual. It is also just as important to oppose the activities of giant corporations that seek to so limit the rights of the individual as it is to oppose a government that does so.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:52 AM   #67
lrhorer

Quote:
Exactly. I have zero problem with my cable company blocking channels when the channel themselves requested it.
You really and truly don't mind paying hundreds of dollars a year for something and then having a wholesaler (not even the manufacturer!!) tell you what you can and cannot do with it? If so, I don't understand you, because that is utter bullcrap, and you are chugging it down like it is iced tea.

The content providers don't pay for that programming, you do. They just act as the middleman, passing the content on to you and taking a commission. Would you let a wholesale distributor of hand tools tell you what you can and cannot do with a drill you bought at Home Depot?
Old 06-29-2012, 03:58 AM   #68
lrhorer

Quote:
Oh, I'm perfectly certain that it's legal for them to make it a carriage contract requirement. But I can't see where the FCC is involved (though they probably have some rules as to what a carriage contract cannot affect).
Yeah, specifically it cannot apply to any locally OTA broadcast channel. They also specifically allow much greater restrictions on VOD and IPPV content.

Quote:
Mentioning them seemed like Verizon trying to "hide behind the FCC's skirts", so to speak.
Oh, yeah. Certainly they are seeking to deflect any blame from themselves. It is the business equivalent of Political Correctness.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:01 AM   #69
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Ah, being ingenuous! The next best thing to bald-faced lying!
Who says it is the next best? One of the slickest ways to lie is to tell the absolute truth, but do it in such a way that the listener is deliberately induced to infer something that is not true.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:30 AM   #70
lrhorer

Quote:
From the Greek's thread it isn't clear he is still doing this. The last few posts are by customers threatening to dispute his paypal charges because he hasn't delivered or communicated.
He was in Poland until just recently. He just responded yesterday, apologizing for the silence. His PM notification mechanism was apparently broken. They recently upgraded the software on the website. That may have been part of the problem.

Quote:
I don't see any signs of other people doing this either. Methinks thou doest color the situation a little too rosy!
There have been a couple doing it for pay, and quite a few have done it themselves. His diligence and fast response has pretty much driven any other wannabes out of the race, but if he were ever truly out for the count, I am sure one of the other members could be induced to pick it up.

Barring that and the owner having the relatively modest skills required for re-working small, medium pitch SMD devices, I submit a post on Craigslist or the bulletin board of any local college or tech school can roust up someone with more than sufficient skills to do the solder work, and someone who has a PROM programmer. Virtually anyone who works at an electronics repair shop should be able to do it, as well as any EE student and the majority of CS students. Heck, most people who work in a hobby shop or build radio controlled models could do it.

We're not talking about skills only a top notch veteran machinist would have, nor computing skills on a par with Linus Torvalds.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:11 PM   #71
mattack

Quote:
They block EVERY SINGLE CHANNEL on my system except the local broadcast networks (which they legally cannot). They even block one local broadcast network's secondary digital channel. I'm not sure if they're legally allowed to do that. Anyone know?
So, you're reporting them to the FCC, right?

If you fight hard enough, you could even get other channels unlocked, with someone officially from that channel saying they don't want it blocked. A few others here have said they have succeeded in that.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:28 AM   #72
Johncv

Quote:
Right. It has nothing to do with the Premiere. My Series3 did the same thing.

It also has nothing to do with the fact that my Premiere is almost full. That's just the reason I WANTED to off-load some shows (to clear up some space).
A novel suggestion why not just sit down and enjoy the show you recorded and the erase them to free up space in order to record other show to enjoy.

The TiVo is NOT a long term storage device, it time shifting device.

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:07 AM   #73
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johncv View Post
A novel suggestion why not just sit down and enjoy the show you recorded and the erase them to free up space in order to record other show to enjoy.

No one's talking about using TiVo as a long term storage device. They want to use storage devices on their PCs for that.

"
" -- hookbill
mikeyts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:07 PM   #74
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Quote:

Also, an issue is that without Streaming on S2, S3, and THD's, MRV doesn't work when shows are protected. For someone like me that pools the tuners of all the TiVos in the house it becomes an issue when I can't watch from any room I want, but am forced to be in another room that might be in use for other purposes.
180hr S2

Stormspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:14 PM   #75
cwoody222

Quote:

If you must know, I had been recording the nightly re-airings of the last 4 seasons of Breaking Bad. I had close to 30 episodes of that show because they were airing them (3 times per night) faster than I was watching them.

With my TiVo becoming VERY close to being 100% full, I just wanted to temporarily move a few shows off to my PC because I did not have the time to watch episodes in the short-term.

However, as I said, only 2 hours (of close to 40) were able to be off-loaded (due to Time Warner) so I was forced to delete some shows off TiVo that I had not watched yet. I selected shows that had upcoming re-airings so I could record them again in the near future.

I don't keep ANYTHING on my TiVo that I have already watched.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:51 PM   #76
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormspace View Post
Also, an issue is that without Streaming on S2, S3, and THD's, MRV doesn't work when shows are protected. For someone like me that pools the tuners of all the TiVos in the house it becomes an issue when I can't watch from any room I want, but am forced to be in another room that might be in use for other purposes.
Once again, there is a solution for that.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:08 PM   #77
lrhorer

Quote:
If you must know
I'm not so sure he must, but it is kind of you to inform him nicely.

Quote:
I had been recording the nightly re-airings of the last 4 seasons of Breaking Bad. I had close to 30 episodes of that show because they were airing them (3 times per night) faster than I was watching them.
Well, there is the rub. It may be a larger hard drive may be a part of your solution, but in the larger picture and in the long term, if there are more shows being broadcast than you have time to watch, you are just going to eventually have to miss some. The TiVo does a fabulous job of "smoothing out" the time demands of watching shows, especially with a video server attached, but neither the TiVo nor any other piece of hardware is going to create more time for you to watch - other than fast forwarding through commercials, of course.

Quote:
With my TiVo becoming VERY close to being 100% full, I just wanted to temporarily move a few shows off to my PC because I did not have the time to watch episodes in the short-term.
And that is certainly reasonable, if you ask me. Of course, I don't write the CableLabs requirement specifications. Other ass... <ahem> individuals do that.

Of course, it's too late to do anythng further as far as this particular instance is concerned, but if you are occasionally but not continuously running into this issue, then a larger hard drive is indeed probably a good solution. The "other" solution still has great merit, however, quite apart from hard drive capacity issues.

Quote:
I don't keep ANYTHING on my TiVo that I have already watched.
OK, that's not a bad habit. Especially if you have a large hard drive, however, it isn't strictly necessary. Don't get me wrong, I, too, usually delete a program on the TiVo after I have watched it, or even if it is one I don't care to watch, but the fact is, the TiVos do most of the deleting, especially of suggestions.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:14 PM   #78
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Quote:
Once again, there is a solution for that.
Yeah, I know. My current no cost solution is to forgo cable cards and tuning adapters and purchase from Amazon or torrent those shows I pay for but can't access without them. It's worked so far, and with the issue I just discovered on my THD I'm not certain I want to put any money into it.
180hr S2

Stormspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:12 PM   #79
CreepinDeth

Comcast encrypts almost anything that's a protected channel.

PPV, Adult, Premium Channels, etc.
They're done with Motorola SEM's.

I'm not going to say there isn't ways around it, but that's not something I can discuss.
CreepinDeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:57 PM   #80
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Comcast encrypts all but the basic (local) channels, but only protects the movie and PPV channels.

Lots of people confuse encryption with copy protection - just because it's decrypted by the Cablecard does NOT mean that it can't be transferred to a PC - that's only prohibited by the copy once/never protection flags.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote