TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-11-2012, 06:26 AM   #1
Morpheus101

PyTivo - Standard TV to 720p ???

Using PyTivo: I have two files to transfer from my PC to my TiVo. One is 480? and the other is 720p, will PyTivo give me the higher resolution on the 720p, or will they be the same resolution?

Thanks...

Last edited by Morpheus101 : 09-11-2012 at 06:31 AM.
Morpheus101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:15 AM   #2
buscuitboy

Is the 720p file in .mkv format? If so, I have never had good luck transferring .mkv files to ANY of my TiVos via PyTivo. While the video is OK, I wind up getting stuttering in the audio and its unwatchable.

480 material transfers fine. Its just the HD material that gives me issues when transferred through PyTivo (or even Streambaby).
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:28 AM   #3
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I don't really understand the question. But pyTivo doesn't downrez, unless you're sending to a Series 2 TiVo, or you explicitly told it to.

There is no general issue with MKV files, either.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:35 PM   #4
Morpheus101

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
I don't really understand the question. But pyTivo doesn't downrez, unless you're sending to a Series 2 TiVo, or you explicitly told it to.

There is no general issue with MKV files, either.
It's a premireXL. So basically PyTiVo will stream the original files from my PC to the TiVO with no loss of original quality, based on the format (480, 720, 1080), by default?

I'm having no problems with .mkv files. However I do get a little jerky when I start the transfer from the Tivo and instantly watch. It clears up in less then a minute.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:50 PM   #5
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus101 View Post
So basically PyTiVo will stream the original files from my PC to the TiVO with no loss of original quality, based on the format (480, 720, 1080), by default?
I wouldn't say that. It will retain the original resolution. But the files will be reencoded, unless they're already in the right format.

Also, if you're using a really old version of pyTivo, from before the Premiere was introduced, it won't recognize the Premiere as an HD unit, and will treat it as a Series 2. There is no reason for you to be running such an old version, but a few people are, so this still comes up occasionally. I mention it because I'm still wondering what prompted your question.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:18 PM   #6
Morpheus101

I have two files; a 300Meg .avi and a 1GB .mkv, of the same video. Normally I stick to the smaller .avi files because I wasn't real sure if PyTiVo actually transfered the files any differently.

PyTivo is current.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:03 PM   #7
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

You should definitely see a difference.

For maximum quality, if these MKV files contain h.264 video, you may want to try pushing them from pyTivo's web interface instead of pulling them from the TiVo's UI. But it actually makes more of a difference in transfer speed than in PQ.

Old 09-12-2012, 03:12 PM   #8
rhettf
R3T1CAL

I pull 6Gig .mkv files from my mac and can watch in real time on a gigabit network. When the file is bigger than 10Gigs I need a buffer, earlier this week I transfered a 17Gig 3D .mkv file which need a 20 minute buffer.

Also I am transferring from a Core 2 Duo Mac Mini. I don't know if having a faster processor would make a difference.
rhettf is offline   Reply With Quote