TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-08-2012, 05:36 AM   #31
cheesesteak
Meh.

I watch it, enjoy it and ignore the many absurdities.

Jim Caviezel is the least charismatic actor in the history of tv. Maybe he's doing it on purpose to help define the character but good lord, his monotone speech pattern and expressionless face make him bland and uninspiring.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:48 AM   #32
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
Originally Posted by holee View Post
I see it as a modern day superhero show. Reese is basically Batman. Once I accepted that, the plot holes got a lot easier to accept.
My wife and I really like this show. We always joke about the way Reese talks. We always quote him saying "I'm Batman" in a Christian Bale voice.

It's not surprising that people think of Reese as Batman since the show is written by Jonathan Nolan, brother of Christopher Nolan. He was a writer on Dark Knight too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:13 AM   #33
ClutchBrake
Pass the gravy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
Jim Caviezel is the least charismatic actor in the history of tv. Maybe he's doing it on purpose to help define the character but good lord, his monotone speech pattern and expressionless face make him bland and uninspiring.
Kinda like Burn Notice.

Bachelorhood: Life, liberty, and the happiness of pursuit.

Xbox Live: ClutchBrake
ClutchBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:56 AM   #34
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
The thing about "plot holes" is that there are shows with many redeeming factors that make the plot holes easily ignored/dismissed, and there are shows where the plot holes so overwhelm the story they cannot be ignored and ruin the experience.

I find I enjoy Persons of Interest, even if some think there are plot holes. The story and characters just gel together well enough it doesn't bother me and I couldn't even tell you what the plot holes are, even after reading this thread.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:25 AM   #35
Mr. Soze
The Devil you know

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
That was addressed in the pilot, and it's not a question of bandwith. When Finch built the backdoor alerts into the machine (which is now physically and operationally in complete control of the government), he deliberately set it up to only send him SSNs because he felt that having the machine send anything more than that would unacceptably increase the risk of detection.
Has it been explained why Finch needs Carter to run plates for him?

Otherwise we enjoy it, and they don't tend to pile up on the DVR.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:51 AM   #36
kettledrum

We like it at our household, although sometimes it is hard to hear Jim Caviezel as he is always whispering.
kettledrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:39 PM   #37
Church AV Guy

Quote:
...Jim Caviezel is the least charismatic actor in the history of tv. Maybe he's doing it on purpose to help define the character but good lord, his monotone speech pattern and expressionless face make him bland and uninspiring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchBrake View Post
Kinda like Burn Notice.
Awww. You beat me to it. When I read the comment by cheesesteak, my immediate reaction was, Michael Weston--Burn Notice!

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:36 PM   #38
holee
Uncertain

I'd rather hear Jim Caviezel whispering versus Christian Bale rasping. Besides, this'll be worth it down the line when at some point, Reese loses it and starts screaming like Bobcat Goldthwaite.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:09 PM   #39
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
...Jim Caviezel is the least charismatic actor in the history of tv. Maybe he's doing it on purpose to help define the character but good lord, his monotone speech pattern and expressionless face make him bland and uninspiring.
Dumb question: I suppose he was that quiet and more when he played JC.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:17 PM   #40
verdugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
We also had Reese thinking that's there's no machine at all - it's all from Finch.

Come to it, we haven't yet come across whatever sinister DHS agency that is running the machine.
They were introduced at a meeting when they handed over the company (Finch pretended to be an employee.) They gave the company for $1.

The lady representing the government later appeared in an episode meeting with the kid of the CEO (acting CEO since Finch was the real CEO.) She was living as off the grid as possible.

AFAIK, there haven't been any further mentions of the agency.
verdugan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:14 PM   #41
ronsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Soze View Post
Has it been explained why Finch needs Carter to run plates for him?

Otherwise we enjoy it, and they don't tend to pile up on the DVR.
She needs to have something to do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettledrum View Post
We like it at our household, although sometimes it is hard to hear Jim Caviezel as he is always whispering.
Closed captioning is your friend!
Old 05-13-2012, 02:17 AM   #42
Johncv

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettledrum View Post
Come on people you all need a 7.1 THX surround sound system. Jim Caviezel voice come out like Drak Vader, a very threatening whisper.

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:43 AM   #43
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

I just noticed the title of this thread is wrong. The show is called "Person of Interest".
Old 05-14-2012, 11:27 AM   #44
kettledrum

Oh believe me, pause - turn CC on - 7 sec back - is definitely our friend.
kettledrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:34 AM   #45
busyba
The Funcooker

total thread hijack, but speaking of CC, sometimes I really wish TiVo had a better way of toggling CC on and off.

Right-Down-Down-Down-Select-Clear is a pain. Especially when I just want to turn it on briefly to see a single line that I can't make out.

#firstworldproblems

"of course, you are 100% correct" --

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:48 PM   #46
jeff92k7

Quote:
I'd venture to guess that's what the directors want from him at this point. The "nothing gets him upset or catches him off-guard" expression is what average TV viewers expect from a former super-CIA-spy who would take on a job like this character.

The expressionless character is typical of roles that he takes though. In "Passion of the Christ", excepting the torture scenes, and the one where he makes the table, he is mostly expressionless. Reading the Bible, Jesus Christ didn't get excessively emotional. He was typically very calm and understanding.
In "The Count of Monte Cristo", he is mostly expressionless after becoming the count. Prior to that, he has some normal emotions. This is exactly what the character demands. A calm demeanor makes it much easier to hide your identity.
Based on the other scenes in those movies, I would say that he can perform well with normal emotions, but he is likely getting to the point where he is being typecast as the emotionless character. Nonetheless, I think he does a great job with the part. I enjoy the show.
jeff92k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:33 PM   #47
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
total thread hijack, but speaking of CC, sometimes I really wish TiVo had a better way of toggling CC on and off.

Right-Down-Down-Down-Select-Clear is a pain. Especially when I just want to turn it on briefly to see a single line that I can't make out.

#firstworldproblems
My last TV had a great feature for CC. If I hit mute, CC came on. When I unmuted, it went off. Great for the MANY times my wife decides to vacuum when I am watching TV!

It wouldn't be great if you wanted the CC assist while still listening to the show, but for just backing up to catch what someone said, it was awesome. Mute (CC on), backup, see what was said, unmute (CC off).

markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:01 PM   #48
mattack

Quote:
I think you're hitting at least one more key than you need to.

If you're on a Premiere it might be slightly different (though IIRC, even though the UI was in a different place, it was basically the same on a friend's Premiere)..

ANYWAY.. Instead of "select-clear", I think you can just hit right.

Unless you're hitting clear to get rid of the display quicker.. It still seems like it's not quite that many keys... Though I leave CC on most of the time.
mattack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:15 PM   #49
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
I think you're hitting at least one more key than you need to.

If you're on a Premiere it might be slightly different (though IIRC, even though the UI was in a different place, it was basically the same on a friend's Premiere)..

ANYWAY.. Instead of "select-clear", I think you can just hit right.

Unless you're hitting clear to get rid of the display quicker.. It still seems like it's not quite that many keys... Though I leave CC on most of the time.
I can do Right instead of Clear, (so Right-Down-Down-Down-Select-Right), but I can't forgo the Select. The Select is what actually changes the setting.

On the Premier it's 3 Downs, on the Series 3 it's only 2.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:05 PM   #50
Church AV Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by markz View Post
My last TV had a great feature for CC. If I hit mute, CC came on. When I unmuted, it went off. Great for the MANY times my wife decides to vacuum when I am watching TV!

It wouldn't be great if you wanted the CC assist while still listening to the show, but for just backing up to catch what someone said, it was awesome. Mute (CC on), backup, see what was said, unmute (CC off).
My old television had the CC on when muted option too. I really liked it--a lot. My current television does not have this feature, and I wonder why not.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Old 05-15-2012, 04:44 PM   #51
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post
My old television had the CC on when muted option too. I really liked it--a lot. My current television does not have this feature, and I wonder why not.
If you are watching HD thru any sort of box (cable box, TiVo, DVR, etc), then the captions are provided by the box, not the TV. So muting the TV has no effect on captions. That's why you see people complaining in the above posts about the number of presses to get their TiVo to show captions.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:17 PM   #52
Church AV Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
If you are watching HD thru any sort of box (cable box, TiVo, DVR, etc), then the captions are provided by the box, not the TV. So muting the TV has no effect on captions. That's why you see people complaining in the above posts about the number of presses to get their TiVo to show captions.
I am aware of this CC issue, but even if I am on an analog input, it doesn't automatically turn on captioning. My old Panasonic did, and displayed the captions, even using component inputs. My new television, not so much. I know that the captions are there, because the new TV does put them on screen, one or two out about every ten lines or so. If I switch to composite, they are all there.