TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-18-2013, 11:33 AM   #1
UCLABB

channel signal strength on XL4

I have a new XL4 and I wanted to check out what the signal strengths are- not that there is any problem, I just wanted to see if the strengths were good or marginal. I went to the settings/channel menu and when I select channel signal strength I get a message saying that I can't get signal strength because I don't have any digital channels. Of course ALL my channels are digital.

I don't have this problem on my two tuner Premiere.

Is this some kind of bug?
UCLABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:04 PM   #2
compnurd

thats odd.... mine shows 92
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:12 PM   #3
DaveDFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCLABB View Post
I went to the settings/channel menu and when I select channel signal strength I get a message saying that I can't get signal strength because I don't have any digital channels. Of course ALL my channels are digital.
Do you have a tuning adapter attached? If so, that's exactly how my XL4 behaves.

* Settings -> Channels -> Signal Strength - Cable --> Failure = "Signal strength is unavailable because your cable channel lineup has no digial channels"

* CableCARD menu -> Test Channels -> Failure = "No channels available"

* Test Channels using M-Card from TA menus -> Sucesss = All channels work

If I disconnect the tuning adapter, I am able to select "signal strength" and "test channels" and receive results, though only on the few channels that aren't SDV.
DaveDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:46 PM   #4
XIBM

I also have this message with a XL4 with TA on Charter. You can go into DVR Diagnostics and see signal levels on each tuner and SNR as well as error counts, also the cable card numbers.
XIBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:27 PM   #5
UCLABB

Quote:
Originally Posted by XIBM View Post
I also have this message with a XL4 with TA on Charter. You can go into DVR Diagnostics and see signal levels on each tuner and SNR as well as error counts, also the cable card numbers.
Thanks all, yes, I have Charter with a TA.

Using diagnostics is sort of a work around, but you can't quickly observe signal strength on each channel.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:39 PM   #6
XIBM

Quote:

Using diagnostics is sort of a work around, but you can't quickly observe signal strength on each channel.
From the HD Tivo Menu, roll over Setting & Messages, Select Account & Sys Info, Select DVR Diagnostics, First tuner is on first page and page down for others...
Old 03-18-2013, 07:49 PM   #7
UCLABB

Quote:
From the HD Tivo Menu, roll over Setting & Messages, Select Account & Sys Info, Select DVR Diagnostics, First tuner is on first page and page down for others...
True you can check each tuner, but you can't practically check each CHANNEL. But, I suppose if one channel is showing good strength, all of them probably are.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:17 PM   #8
XIBM

SDV uses the same freq channel over and over and tells the TA which freq the requested channel is on so the number of actual channels is much lower than the number of freq channels so there is no actual signal strength associated with a SDV channel. Select the four channels you want to check on live tv before you go to diag menu.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:19 PM   #9
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDFW View Post
* Test Channels using M-Card from TA menus -> Sucesss = All channels work
Quote:

* Test Channels using M-Card from TA menus is the way that works with a TA attached, you can scroll through all channels this way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:11 AM   #10
Mike-Wolf

Quote:
True you can check each tuner, but you can't practically check each CHANNEL. But, I suppose if one channel is showing good strength, all of them probably are.
Dangerous to think that because sometimes they don't.
Mike-Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:39 PM   #11
XIBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
* Test Channels using M-Card from TA menus is the way that works with a TA attached, you can scroll through all channels this way.
No signal strength is shown using this method...
Old 03-20-2013, 06:56 AM   #12
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Quote:
No signal strength is shown using this method...
My bad, I was recording so I was going by memory.

"Test Channels using M-Card from TA", is used instead of Test Channels from the CableCARD Menu, not signal strength.

Settings > Channels > Signal Strength - Cable - works on my Elite, however I sometimes lose Audio and get signal break-up momentarily when scrolling through channels, you cannot be recording at the time, and all tuners, tune to the same channel.

My signals range from 86 to 94

Old 03-20-2013, 04:46 PM   #13
XIBM

Quote:
Settings > Channels > Signal Strength - Cable - works on my Elite, however I sometimes lose Audio and get signal break-up momentarily when scrolling through channels, you cannot be recording at the time, and all tuners, tune to the same channel.
I get "Signal strength is unavailable because your cable channel lineup has no digital channels." I thought this was because I had a TA...

Did you mean that all tuners must be on the same channel for this to work?
How do you get them all on the same channel, when I go to the second tuner and enter the channel from the first tuner it sends me to the first tuner and does not change the channel on the second tuner.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:58 PM   #14
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
I get "Signal strength is unavailable because your cable channel lineup has no digital channels." I thought this was because I had a TA...

Did you mean that all tuners must be on the same channel for this to work?
How do you get them all on the same channel, when I go to the second tuner and enter the channel from the first tuner it sends me to the first tuner and does not change the channel on the second tuner.
No, when I enter the [ Settings > Channels > Signal Strength - Cable ] it automatically tunes all tuners to the same channel, because when I exit the Signal Strength test all tuners are on the last channel I was testing. Same also happens to me when I reboot my TA, all tuners are on the last foreground channel, after the TA is recognized.