TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.60 average.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:36 AM   #1591
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post

I suspect that Netflix competes with mostly their non-Premium VOD but when it comes to a head-to-head comparison on renting a new release Premium movie like Argo, Netflix doesn't compete. My cable operator can charge $5.99 for Argo while its available in 1080p HD from Amazon for $4.98.
Technically Netflix competes with Comcast's Streampix service, though Netlfix's library is a lot larger and it has exclusives.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:46 AM   #1592
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnurd View Post
They may have left it out until Netflix speeds up there App.. Alot of people bitched about the new Netflix App and Tivo may have told them to get there **** together before they put it on this box
That's just the thing though. The Mini with updated SOCs is reportedly much faster at running Flash Apps than the series 4 units with tuners, so I was expecting a much faster experience running Netflix on the Mini. All the more reason to be disappointed about it being missing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:37 AM   #1593
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
Each time you make the customer stop using your device is an opportunity for that other device maker to keep them. It's all about not changing inputs or remotes. Sure, some of us are programmed-remote fanatics, but most of the world isn't, and shouldn't have to be.

No Netflix on the Mini makes it an absolute non-starter. Dead in the water. Not getting purchased. Such a shame.
TiVo is the only cable device that also has Netflix (other than running it through software in MCE). The reality is that most people now use a different device for Netflix than for TV, so switching to another device isn't the end of the world.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:16 PM   #1594
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
TiVo is the only cable device that also has Netflix (other than running it through software in MCE). The reality is that most people now use a different device for Netflix than for TV, so switching to another device isn't the end of the world.
Except that TiVo wants to be a one box solution so you don't have to change from Input 1.

Not having the Mini support anything a Premiere can is a significant problem in that regard. I don't care because I don't mind switching to whatever input is needed for a particular service (I have 7 devices connected), but it drives my wife and Joe Sixpack crazy.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:41 PM   #1595
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3 View Post
Except that TiVo wants to be a one box solution so you don't have to change from Input 1.

Not having the Mini support anything a Premiere can is a significant problem in that regard. I don't care because I don't mind switching to whatever input is needed for a particular service (I have 7 devices connected), but it drives my wife and Joe Sixpack crazy.
I suppose they should have them all if they are wanting to become a one-box solution. However, it's also just a matter of time before every TV, even small ones, have Netflix and the like built in. And no matter what, no one can integrate AirPlay, which is one of the biggest game changers in this market, since it's Apple and they don't license much of anything to third parties. And the Apple TV streams Netflix as well.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:17 PM   #1596
Dan203
Super Moderator

The concept behind AirPlay is great, but I think you're over estimating it's significance. MS has a similar technology for Windows 8 and XBox, and as I mentioned in another thread Samsung has something similar that works with certain apps with their smart TVs. When it comes to that sort of thing people are going to use what's available and works with their particular tablet/phone. No one is going to go out and buy an iPad and an Apple TV just for AirPlay.

TiVo has a chance to become the "one box" they wanted to be. But they need faster hardware and a better developer program. Sounds like they're moving toward better hardware, so they just need to improve the developer program to entice more developers.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:53 PM   #1597
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
The concept behind AirPlay is great, but I think you're over estimating it's significance. MS has a similar technology for Windows 8 and XBox, and as I mentioned in another thread Samsung has something similar that works with certain apps with their smart TVs. When it comes to that sort of thing people are going to use what's available and works with their particular tablet/phone. No one is going to go out and buy an iPad and an Apple TV just for AirPlay.

TiVo has a chance to become the "one box" they wanted to be. But they need faster hardware and a better developer program. Sounds like they're moving toward better hardware, so they just need to improve the developer program to entice more developers.
The point is, there are already a ton of devices out there, and Apple owns the tablet market, with the exception of a lot of low-value customers on the Kindle Fire series, unlike the smartphone market where it's Apple and Google both as serious players.

AirPlay just works so well since you have the device to browse for content and then can just send it to the TV.

Yeah, if they do that, they could become big on the apps side.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:07 PM   #1598
neo_sapien

Why doesn't TiVo launch these things right? Advertise for them, put up whole-home bundles at TiVo.com and amazon.com for pre-order. An actual marketing campaign.
neo_sapien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:11 PM   #1599
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_sapien View Post
Why doesn't TiVo launch these things right? Advertise for them, put up whole-home bundles at TiVo.com and amazon.com for pre-order. An actual marketing campaign.
Because that would make too much sense.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:29 PM   #1600
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_sapien View Post
They have a perfect track record of ineffective marketing - why change course now?

I never find anything first from being on any TiVo interested parties list - I usually get those emails a few weeks after I've already purchased the product in question and looks like it will be the same with the Mini since I've ordered three before TiVo even told me there were available for purchase.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:30 PM   #1601
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Because that would make too much sense.
+1
Old 03-11-2013, 07:42 AM   #1602
akalion

Looks like they are on sale now on tivo.com. Just finished ordering mine.
akalion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:04 AM   #1603
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
That's just the thing though. The Mini with updated SOCs is reportedly much faster at running Flash Apps than the series 4 units with tuners, so I was expecting a much faster experience running Netflix on the Mini. All the more reason to be disappointed about it being missing.
But then you are assuming the the Tivo is the slow part of the process....

For all we know it could be the app itself
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:25 AM   #1604
moyekj

Quote:
But then you are assuming the the Tivo is the slow part of the process....

For all we know it could be the app itself
There are already reports of people who have used Mini themselves that the Flash HDUI and Flash apps run much faster, so it's no assumption.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:34 AM   #1605
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
There are already reports of people who have used Mini themselves that the Flash HDUI and Flash apps run much faster, so it's no assumption.
What does that have to do with Netflix? Until it is on the Mini we cant compare. Comparison wise, when i launch Netflix from my PS3 then my Tivo the PS3 only starts about 3 seconds faster. The interface flows faster but I am pretty sure the PS3 lets the app cache data
Old 03-11-2013, 09:38 AM   #1606
moyekj

Quote:
What does that have to do with Netflix? Until it is on the Mini we cant compare. Comparison wise, when i launch Netflix from my PS3 then my Tivo the PS3 only starts about 3 seconds faster. The interface flows faster but I am pretty sure the PS3 lets the app cache data
The HDUI itself is Flash and there are Flash apps such as YouTube you can run on the Mini as well - it's not only Netflix. I'm not talking just launch time, but interaction with the app as well. From what I hear the whole interaction with apps is faster as well on the Mini. I'll be finding out myself first hand soon, though apparently not for Netflix which is the one TiVo app I really care about - don't use YouTube and the like myself. Still, just a faster HDUI would be a good reason to have a Mini for me.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:48 AM   #1607
compnurd

I wont complain about a faster UI but I have not has any issues with the HDUI on my 2 Tuner models. I have a 4 coming today and will compare after 24 hours. Thankfully i dont have to deal with a TA or anything