TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-25-2014, 12:09 PM   #31
aridon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post
If you believe that, I would like to sell you an interest in the Brooklyn Bridge. People are interested in receiving TV signals at a price lower than their local cable company, Aereo came up with a sneaky way to try to do that without paying for the content. The Supreme Court was able to see through the cloud of dust Aereo had kicked up and was hiding behind.

pretty much this.

Had Aereo won cord cutters would of been hit the hardest when the networks went pay t.v.only.

Believe it or not but them losing and keeping the free option actually benefits consumers in the long run at the expense of Are so.
aridon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:51 PM   #32
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
pretty much this.

Had Aereo won cord cutters would of been hit the hardest when the networks went pay t.v.only.

Believe it or not but them losing and keeping the free option actually benefits consumers in the long run at the expense of Are so.
The networks never would have gone pay only. Those broadcast licenses are worth $millions.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 02:26 PM   #33
aridon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAndrews View Post
The networks never would have gone pay only. Those broadcast licenses are worth $millions.
They most certainly would of when the NFL, MLB and everyone else decided to take their toys and go home. It would also nip cord cutting right in the bud for network lovers.

They already get redistribution fees from cable companies and that is the source of their financial growth. Zero chance they give that up and if Aereo was allowed to do what it did you would see cable companies start looking really hard at devices like the AM21 Directv uses for its boxes. Integrating OTA tuner isn't exactly rocket science even Tivo can get that right.

The side show would of been entertaining to watch but ultimately would of hurt cord cutters the most when the networks went dark and moved to pay tv. They certainly were not going to watch their only real stream of growth go away because of a two bit start up.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:28 PM   #34
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
...The side show would of been entertaining to watch but ultimately would of hurt cord cutters the most when the networks went dark and moved to pay tv.
The entertainment would be when the broadcast TV bandwidth was repurposed for wireless internet access and 1000s of independents create new TV content.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 03:07 PM   #35
BobCamp1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Other than copyright/broadcast law I still think the antennas are a sham, but what difference does that make, if they used a master antenna they would have the same legal issue, does the source make any difference ??, it the re-transmission by a money making business that is the problem. Even sports bars have to pay (to stay legal) something to show any TV program to their customers, how the sports bar get the program does not matter (except maybe cost to the bar).
You are correct. The antennas are a total sham. And it didn't help them at all. A copy is a copy, it doesn't have to be a perfect copy.
BobCamp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:42 PM   #36
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
pretty much this.

I just want to watch my OTA TV shows on my phone. Having an Android phone, Aereo was the only option to do it legally (except for some shows on Hulu). Now my only choice to watch on an Android phone is to download the content illegally. What exactly did the networks win?

I could also switch to iPhone and pay Tivo for a service that allows me to record free OTA content. They make money off of copyrighted content and nobody says a word. It's absurd.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:59 PM   #37
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscuitboy View Post
too bad to see this. Looks like Comcast and other big networks have once again triumphed. unfortunate & I tend to think this spells the end of Aereo
Perhaps not.

All Aereo has to do is pass along some of the subscribers' money to the broadcasters. Just like with cable.

But, since they don't pass along all of the local broadcasters in bulk the way that cable does, the broadcasters can't justify blanket fees the way they do with cable.

See what you think of my assertion that this may be a blessing in disguise:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=518669

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:01 PM   #38
christheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post
I just want to watch my OTA TV shows on my phone. Having an Android phone, Aereo was the only option to do it legally (except for some shows on Hulu). Now my only choice to watch on an Android phone is to download the content illegally. What exactly did the networks win?

I could also switch to iPhone and pay Tivo for a service that allows me to record free OTA content. They make money off of copyrighted content and nobody says a word. It's absurd.
They still see a phone as a phone I suppose.
christheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:01 PM   #39
aridon

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post

Slingbox?
Old 06-25-2014, 08:03 PM   #40
christheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Perhaps not.

All Aereo has to do is pass along some of the subscribers' money to the broadcasters. Just like with cable.

But, since they don't pass along all of the local broadcasters in bulk the way that cable does, the broadcasters can't justify blanket fees the way they do with cable.

See what you think of my assertion that this may be a blessing in disguise:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=518669
You are probably right.
christheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:43 AM   #41
Chris Gerhard

Quote:
pretty much this.

I am very happy with TiVo and OTA and of course want that to continue. Using internet data for local channels would have been an option I don't want to have to deal with. I am already running over 300GB some months now with the recent Netflix change to SuperHD and the other services I use, YouTube, Vudu, Hulu, HBOGo and a few others. Comcast has no data charges right now but I can't imagine that will continue for long.
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 02:56 AM   #42
Johncv

More Aereo aftermath: ACA 'disappointed' by ruling, Diller says 'it's over'

http://www.fiercecable.com/story/mor...ource=internal

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 03:20 AM   #43
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johncv View Post
That's a bit curious, that the cable industry would be disappointed that Aereo's advantage over them was removed.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:09 AM   #44
weaver

Quote:
That's a bit curious, that the cable industry would be disappointed that Aereo's advantage over them was removed.
Not really. If Aero had been successful in the Supreme Court, the cable companies would have done the same thing to eliminate the rebroadcast fees.
weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 09:09 AM   #45
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaver View Post
Not really. If Aero had been successful in the Supreme Court, the cable companies would have done the same thing to eliminate the rebroadcast fees.
I'm sure the broadcasters are happy to have won, but why would the cable companies be unhappy that their competition was just destroyed?

ACA is the American Cable Association.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:43 AM   #46
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Was Aereo selling a service that allowed you to access free OTA signals over the internet for a small fee, or were they selling tiny antennas and renting space for consumers to locate those antennas? Or was that difference trivial and the court didn't care?
Old 06-27-2014, 09:52 AM   #47
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
I'm sure the broadcasters are happy to have won, but why would the cable companies be unhappy that their competition was just destroyed?

The ACA is an advocacy/lobbying group for small/rural/municipal independent providers and cable content entities (Tennis Channel, Univision, etc). They have an interest in ending broadcast retransmission fees because they believe it disproportionally inflates fees for small MSOs due to their small size, and cuts out their content members as a result of people choosing cheaper TV packages to compensate for the higher fees. (I have no skin in this, I'm just sharing who they are.)

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 06-27-2014 at 10:16 AM.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 10:06 AM   #48
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Was Aereo selling a service that allowed you to access free OTA signals over the internet for a small fee, or were they selling tiny antennas and renting space for consumers to locate those antennas? Or was that difference trivial and the court didn't care?
The so called tiny antennas are a sham as they are the size of a dime, you think without any added re-Xmit hardware they could pick up any/all TV OTA signals unless you were next to the Xmit tower itself where a paper clip would also work?.

Old 06-27-2014, 10:41 AM   #49
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
The so called tiny antennas are a sham as they are the size of a dime, you think without any added re-Xmit hardware they could pick up any/all TV OTA signals unless you were next to the Xmit tower itself where a paper clip would also work?.
Apparently they worked well enough to satisfy the courts, since the lower courts accepted the technical explanation and it wasn't at issue before the Supremes.
Old 06-27-2014, 12:15 PM   #50
telemark

The ACA had previously filed a brief siding with Aereo, and they only represent small cable operators.

It said a negative ruling could hamper tech companies, which the small cable operators need to partner with to bring new services (otherwise out of reach of their R/D) to their subscribers, in order to compete with the big cable companies.

Sounds like they need cloud DVR's, so they don't have to invest in hardware infrastructure.

NCTA did not file a brief. NAB did, siding with the broadcasters.

Cablevision filed a brief, suggesting Aereo was in violation of public performance, but Cablevision is not.
There is no Comcast brief, but they wholly own NBC-Universal Studios, which is a party.

Last edited by telemark : 06-27-2014 at 12:28 PM.
telemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 01:34 PM   #51
weaver

Quote:

Because the cable companies would have saved money by not paying rebroadcast fees.
weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 07:06 PM   #52
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaver View Post
Because the cable companies would have saved money by not paying rebroadcast fees.
And for them to have any hope of ending that, Aereo would have had to have won, not lost.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:10 PM   #53
Johncv

Aereo: Columnists question SCOTUS' tech chops, ruling's impact on DVRs

More repercussion from one of the worse Supreme Court in history:

http://www.fiercecable.com/story/aer...ource=internal

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 07:13 PM   #54
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johncv View Post
More repercussion from one of the worse Supreme Court in history:

http://www.fiercecable.com/story/aer...ource=internal
And now FOX is going after Hopper.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=518737

Really looking forward to seeing what the 9 black-robed EEs in DC have to say about it.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:41 PM   #55
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Apparently they worked well enough to satisfy the courts, since the lower courts accepted the technical explanation and it wasn't at issue before the Supremes.
The point of the dime antennas was the reason they though they could work around the copyright law on re-xmission, the SC did not look at or care about the antennas, only what was delivered to the end user that was paying.

Last edited by lessd : 06-27-2014 at 08:49 PM.
lessd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 12:07 AM   #56
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
The point of the dime antennas was the reason they though they could work around the copyright law on re-xmission, the SC did not look at or care about the antennas, only what was delivered to the end user that was paying.
When a case goes to the SC, they don't get to examine whatever aspect of the case they want to. There is almost always a very strict and narrow legal question that needs to be answered. The reason the SC didn't say anything about the antennas is because from a technological standpoint, they had passed muster at the lower courts, and the broadcasters did not submit that issue to the SC on appeal.

If the antennas didn't even work, the case would never have gotten as far as it did since proving that they didn't work as advertised would have led to an easy win for the broadcasters.
Old 06-28-2014, 04:57 AM   #57
unitron

Quote:
Dude, being within paper clip distance of the XMTRs with a clear line of sight was half of Aereo's business model all along, as I'm sure they themselves would have told you.

If King Kong could talk, they were close enough to the ESB to read his lips.

And the way those little antennas were mounted near each other allowed for coupling that created the equivalent of a larger element (while maintaining individual outputs), and that was a pretty clever hack.

Old 06-28-2014, 08:29 AM   #58
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Dude, being within paper clip distance of the XMTRs with a clear line of sight was half of Aereo's business model all along, as I'm sure they themselves would have told you.

And the way those little antennas were mounted near each other allowed for coupling that created the equivalent of a larger element (while maintaining individual outputs), and that was a pretty clever hack.
Makes sense to me, although I wonder what intelligence could be gained by reading King Kong's lips (even if he could talk).

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 08:56 AM   #59
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Makes sense to me, although I wonder what intelligence could be gained by reading King Kong's lips (even if he could talk).
He could tell you if Fay Wray was as hot in person as she looked on the screen in that scene on the boat with the sheer white dress backlit by the moon.

Old 06-28-2014, 12:09 PM   #60
lessd

Quote:

That true, but why not go the next step and have the station give a direct wire connection, less cost and same signal when next to the Xmit tower. The problem was the re-xmission not the antennas.