TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-23-2012, 02:53 PM   #1
DianaMo
Cubs fan

Lightbulb Have you hugged your Tivo today?

Have you hugged your Tivo today?

Source: October 1977 issue of Popular Mechanics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hug your tivo.jpg (87.9 KB, 267 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Share an online coupon here

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DianaMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:21 PM   #2
aaronwt
HD Addict

I had a friend whose family had one of those in the late seventies. Along with a big Satellite dish. So they were always recordings movies.
We thought it was the coolest thing back then. And we were always going over there to watch movies since CATV wasn't in the area yet.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:59 PM   #3
dlfl
Cranky old novice

I tried to hug my TiVo but the Tuning Adapter got between us and ..... it wasn't pretty.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:23 PM   #4
DianaMo
Cubs fan

Lightbulb

From the same issue...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg home computer 1977 everymans.jpg (85.0 KB, 214 views)

Old 08-23-2012, 05:25 PM   #5
DianaMo
Cubs fan

Lightbulb

Also from the same issue...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg pop science old.JPG (51.4 KB, 214 views)

Old 08-23-2012, 10:23 PM   #6
astrohip
Stuart F

We had one of those original Sony Betamax. My dad loved electronics & gizmos, and he was friends with the local Sony dealer. Although I thought it was earlier than '77; I moved out in 1973 and I thought we had it while I still lived at home.

Some time later he also got a VHS recorder. For a while, he had both hooked up. We also had this video game console, where you overlayed a transparent plastic screen, with the game graphics, over your TV. I think it played PONG, and that was it. No other games.

ETA: Oh, and not a day goes by I don't hug my TiVo <3
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:27 PM   #7
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaMo View Post
Have you hugged your Tivo today?
No, but that's why I personally consider Tivo more of an evolution than revolution. I wasn't videotaping that early, but from sometime in the mid to late 80s on (and in the early 90s, with two VCRS of my own so I could record one and watch another off of videotape to avoid commercials.. or SOMETIMES record 2 and suffer through commercials on a third simultaneous show)... used VCRs to avoid commercials.

If only Tivos had removable media (I'm serious).. Yes, downloading to a computer is a decent alternative.. (oh, and yes, I know about the one model of Tivo/dvd recorder, but it wasn't as capable as the other hard drive/DVD recorders, like the XS32 I continue to use daily.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 01:35 AM   #8
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaMo View Post
From the same issue...

I love that it's called a "micro" computer. Boy have times changed.....
Old 08-26-2012, 01:01 AM   #9
DianaMo
Cubs fan

Smile

Note the unpunched paper tape dispenser (far right of image above).

I think my brother's girlfriend was told (way back when) to learn keypunch, that way she'll always have a career.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:41 PM   #10
shwru980r

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
If only Tivos had removable media (I'm serious).. Yes, downloading to a computer is a decent alternative.. (oh, and yes, I know about the one model of Tivo/dvd recorder, but it wasn't as capable as the other hard drive/DVD recorders, like the XS32 I continue to use daily.)
But you'd have to run guided setup and transfer your season passes and wishlists to every drive you used.

Maybe you could make the eSata port the primary and have your hard drive only
in the external case and swap them that way.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:20 PM   #11
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwru980r View Post
But you'd have to run guided setup and transfer your season passes and wishlists to every drive you used.

Maybe you could make the eSata port the primary and have your hard drive only
in the external case and swap them that way.
I actually meant removable media like BluRays, not to add to the 'main recording storage'..

but yeah, having the external drive be something you could attach and detach, without being married to the main drive, would be a similar concept. (I don't remember, one of the satellite recorders, I think DISH, did allow you to attach and detach drives for a while.. and I think you could even swap between units.. to use as big removable storage.. but IIRC, I read, probably here, that they stopped that, so you can't use it to move media between recorders anymore.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote