TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-16-2013, 12:36 AM   #1
stemo76

Can't get backup and restore drive

A while back I upgraded this tivo S3 with a 1tb drive. It appears that drive is now going bad. when using winmfs it stops at partition 12 and never finishes. I have left it overnight and no progress. when I attempt to do a backup of the os, boot and the other options it appears to be ok but I can't restore those to my new drive, I get node 1 or node 0 errors.

trying the dd-rescue now but after 15hrs I think its only 6gb complete.

I have used windows tools on the new drive to check it for errors. It has been formatted to NTSF and chkdisk has been run on it. since then I have run diskpart and clean. also formatted in winmfs.

Have I screwed up the new drive? Is there a trick to copy over a drive that has already been upgraded?

Been working on this for days.
stemo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:32 AM   #2
stemo76

worst case, can I take one of my good s3 drives and copy it to another disk to put in the tivo with the bad drive or is the software coded to the board? I beleive the shows are but I could live without that if this was the only way to get this tivo back up.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:58 AM   #3
Arcady
Stargate Fan

If the image comes from a different TiVo, you will have to do a "clear and delete everything" to make it work. This will wipe all shows, season passes, cablecard pairing, etc.

You didn't save the original 160GB drive that came with the TiVo?
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:33 AM   #4
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemo76 View Post
A while back I upgraded this tivo S3 with a 1tb drive. It appears that drive is now going bad. when using winmfs it stops at partition 12 and never finishes. I have left it overnight and no progress. when I attempt to do a backup of the os, boot and the other options it appears to be ok but I can't restore those to my new drive, I get node 1 or node 0 errors.

trying the dd-rescue now but after 15hrs I think its only 6gb complete.

I have used windows tools on the new drive to check it for errors. It has been formatted to NTSF and chkdisk has been run on it. since then I have run diskpart and clean. also formatted in winmfs.

Have I screwed up the new drive? Is there a trick to copy over a drive that has already been upgraded?

Been working on this for days.
When you say new drive, do you mean one you got to replace the 1TB drive you already put into the TiVo?

If so, it's a good idea to run the manufacturer's diagnostic long test before putting it into service, but otherwise anything you use to copy the 1TB over to it will overwrite whatever formatting is on it, so you don't need to do any of that beforehand.

Give us the brand and model numbers of both drives and tell us if you're using a GigaByte brand PC motherboard to do the work.

Also, hooking straight to SATA ports or via USB adapters?

Finally, there is no

dd-rescue

There's

ddrescue

and there's the similar

dd_rescue

and of course the original

dd

(unless somebody's recently released a dd-rescue, in which case they should be horsewhipped for not giving it a less likely to cause confusion name).

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:28 AM   #5
stemo76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
If the image comes from a different TiVo, you will have to do a "clear and delete everything" to make it work. This will wipe all shows, season passes, cablecard pairing, etc.

You didn't save the original 160GB drive that came with the TiVo?
I don't think that the original drive is still around, but its good to know I can get the OS working atleast from one of my tivos.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:32 AM   #6
stemo76

Years back I swapped out the original with a 1tb drive and it has now gone bad so I am doing it again.

I don't have the model numbers but the new drive I am copying too is a seagate. and I am using an Asus motherboard. Both drives are connected directly to the motherboard with sata cables, sdb and sdc

The last attempt and after 24hrs is still running was the dd_rescue off the wfslive CD dd_rescue -A -v /dev/sdb /dev/sdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
When you say new drive, do you mean one you got to replace the 1TB drive you already put into the TiVo?

If so, it's a good idea to run the manufacturer's diagnostic long test before putting it into service, but otherwise anything you use to copy the 1TB over to it will overwrite whatever formatting is on it, so you don't need to do any of that beforehand.

Give us the brand and model numbers of both drives and tell us if you're using a GigaByte brand PC motherboard to do the work.

Also, hooking straight to SATA ports or via USB adapters?

Finally, there is no

dd-rescue

There's

ddrescue

and there's the similar

dd_rescue

and of course the original

dd

(unless somebody's recently released a dd-rescue, in which case they should be horsewhipped for not giving it a less likely to cause confusion name).

Old 01-16-2013, 10:50 AM   #7
unitron

Quote:
Years back I swapped out the original with a 1tb drive and it has now gone bad so I am doing it again.

I don't have the model numbers but the new drive I am copying too is a seagate. and I am using an Asus motherboard. Both drives are connected directly to the motherboard with sata cables, sdb and sdc

The last attempt and after 24hrs is still running was the dd_rescue off the wfslive CD dd_rescue -A -v /dev/sdb /dev/sdc
It could be the reaason it's taking so long is the drive that was in the TiVo has lots of problems and it's having to go back and re-read certain sectors over and over again, but will eventually get a good copy, so just let it keep doing what it's doing. It'll reach the end eventually.

I just rescued 2TB of old movies that way.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:30 PM   #8
stemo76

How long did it take for you to complete 2gb? I know time will vary depending on the amount of bad sectors.

My copy starts out going just fine and then within a couple of minutes it just turns to a scrolling mess of alerts. I guess the drive still worked in the tivo but they said it had a lot of pixilization and wanted the drive replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
It could be the reaason it's taking so long is the drive that was in the TiVo has lots of problems and it's having to go back and re-read certain sectors over and over again, but will eventually get a good copy, so just let it keep doing what it's doing. It'll reach the end eventually.

I just rescued 2TB of old movies that way.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:02 PM   #9
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

WinMFS does not do any formatting.

Last week, my Tivo HD 1 tb drive went bye-bye and I had put a backup of the original on CD and used that to restore to a new 1 TB drive. I'm not sure if the original Tivo drive still works or not. I have a removable SATA drive bay on my PC, so SATA drives slide in and out without having to open up the case.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:17 AM   #10
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
WinMFS does not do any formatting.

Depends on how you define formatting, I suppose, but it will OVERWRITE a hard drive, and that's all that's needed.

It doesn't matter if there are traces of an MBR left because the TiVo isn't going to be looking for them or looking in the places where they got left.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:26 AM   #11
unitron

Quote:
How long did it take for you to complete 2gb? I know time will vary depending on the amount of bad sectors.

My copy starts out going just fine and then within a couple of minutes it just turns to a scrolling mess of alerts. I guess the drive still worked in the tivo but they said it had a lot of pixilization and wanted the drive replaced.
I just copied a 1TB to the front end of a 2TB with

dd_rescue

This was with fairly new drives in good shape, so

dd_rescue

didn't have to go back and re-read sectors, and it took about 12 hours.

The other day I copied one 2TB to another, this time with the maximum "grab" at 512Bytes and the minimum at 1, 'cause the drive I was copying had lots of problems.

It took 4 or 5 days, at least (I kind of lost track of when I started), but I recovered 2TB of shows I'd already spent time copying from TiVos to PC.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:55 AM   #12
stemo76

There is a "Format" option in the menu, it happens very quickly so I am sure its not a true format but it is there and thats what I was referring to.

BTW this dd_rescue is still running, I think this is day three. I think I could have wrote all the binary on stone tablets by now.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:36 PM   #13
unitron

Quote:
There is a "Format" option in the menu, it happens very quickly so I am sure its not a true format but it is there and thats what I was referring to.

BTW this dd_rescue is still running, I think this is day three. I think I could have wrote all the binary on stone tablets by now.
If you mean WinMFS, it has a "delete format" that wipes out whatever (MBR or TiVo bootpage) is written to the very first sector on the drive.

It' pretty much the equivalent of copying 512 bytes of /dev/zero to it.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:43 PM   #14
stemo76

So after 10 hours its gone from 12723819 blocks to 12727345, that about 2mb if I calculated that right. This won't finish for a month.

Last edited by stemo76 : 01-17-2013 at 07:55 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:12 PM   #15
stemo76

I gave up and killed the copy. The original drive will boot up the tivo but if I try to even make a trunkated copy to just the OS onto the new drive I get read errors and the new drive won't boot.

Guess I am going to have to backup all the shows to another tivo or computer and then copy the os from another one of my S3 tivos and do a clear all reset and copy all the shows back.

I am guessing that the kickstat that reloads the OS needs a working OS on the drive. Its not going to be like a PXE boot and reimage an empty drive.