TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-08-2013, 03:17 PM   #31
wprager

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
[hijack] Really enjoying watching David Tennant and Arthur Darvill on Broadchurch, though. [/hijack]
OMG, I didn't even realize that was him (Darvill/Rory, I mean, not Tennant). Shame on me. The whole time through Broadchurch (and what do you mean "enjoying" -- it's only 8 episodes, you should be in the past tense already) I kept thinking he looked familiar.

Where's the "hits himself in the head" smiley?
wprager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:30 PM   #32
JoBeth66
Temp

Quote:
Here's the thing, though. Moffat and company cast Smith for a reason, and once they had him, presumably wrote to what they perceived as his strengths. Presumably Smith was delivering the kind of performance that they wanted from him; otherwise, they could have booted him in favor of someone else.
Agreed - but just because Moffat was crap for the writing doesn't make Smith a good choice for me.

Quote:
[hijack] Really enjoying watching David Tennant and Arthur Darvill on Broadchurch, though. [/hijack]
ME TOO. (And not in the past tense for me, either - I've only seen the first 2 episodes of Broadchurch at this point, we've been out of the country visiting hubby's family. )
JoBeth66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:33 PM   #33
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by wprager View Post
OMG,(and what do you mean "enjoying" -- it's only 8 episodes, you should be in the past tense already) I kept thinking he looked familiar.

But only 5 eps have actually aired in the US.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:16 PM   #34
wprager

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
But only 5 eps have actually aired in the US.
"Aired" to some is a lot like "commercials" to most, here, as in "what's that?"
Old 09-08-2013, 06:03 PM   #35
TonyD79

Quote:

Here's the thing, though. Moffat and company cast Smith for a reason, and once they had him, presumably wrote to what they perceived as his strengths. Presumably Smith was delivering the kind of performance that they wanted from him; otherwise, they could have booted him in favor of someone else.

How much can any actor salvage crap writing? No matter what an actor delivers, he has no control over what takes they choose in the editing room.

So while my response to Smith leaving is "don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out", I put 90% of the blame on Moffat.

Except an awful lot of Who fans don't think it was crap writing or crap acting. In fact, a lot of Who fans I know went from casual to hardcore fans with the River Song saga.

You want crap Doctor Who, watch the Colin Baker years. As for Matt Smith, his Doctor is much like Patrick Troughtons mixed with Tennant.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:01 PM   #36
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBeth66 View Post

Amy was meh ...
What??? That's blasphemy!
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:30 PM   #37
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post
That was an excellent episode, especially the scene where the two women were comparing the "bad guys" that they both had faced, trying to out-bad the other. I thought Tennant did a superb job of being referee to their one-ups-man-ship, and stopping it before it got too far. I STILL laugh about that scene. And it was nice to see K9 again, even though in the original series K9 didn't join the show until after Sarah had left. They never met, in the original show.
No, but they were together in the spinoff K9 and Company, So SJ having one was not totally retcon.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:03 PM   #38
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
OMG, I didn't even realize that was him (Darvill/Rory, I mean, not Tennant). Shame on me. The whole time through Broadchurch (and what do you mean "enjoying" -- it's only 8 episodes, you should be in the past tense already) I kept thinking he looked familiar.

I don't mean this in an unfriendly way, but --

[things that annoy me]

EXCUUUUUSE me for watching it on BBC America.

I haven't seen the end yet. So ixnay on the "you should be in the past tense already" BS, okay?

Seriously, on a forum where we have DVRs, and people timeshift, the idea of being behind someone else's timeslot of live TV should not be foreign to you.

[/things that annoy me]

As for your not recognizing Arthur, then good for him, eh? That's why it's called -- acting.

Last edited by murgatroyd : 09-08-2013 at 08:28 PM.
murgatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:22 PM   #39
TonyD79

Quote:

As for your not recognizing Arthur, then good for him, eh? That's why it's called -- acting.
Didn't realize acting changed looks. That is called --- makeup.

But seriously, Arthur looks like Arthur in both series. Character is different and he is doing that well but his face looks exactly the same.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:37 AM   #40
LordXenophon
Technomage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zordude View Post
900 years is a pretty big age difference.
881 years, thank you.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:23 AM   #41
whitson77
Director Level

Tennant, Eccleston, and Smith a distant distant third. Tennant had the best storylines and that certainly helps him. But Smith's doctor was creepy.
whitson77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:48 AM   #42
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBeth66 View Post
"I'm the tin dog???"

Also one of my favorite eps.

Tennant...Eccleston......................................... ............................................Smith.

Matt Smith is only slightly behind Colin Baker as my least favorite doctor ever, and I've seen every episode since Troughton, who was my first doctor. Tom Baker was awesome, and I loved Peter Davison, Pertwee was fantastic. I loved the reboot, and Eccleston did a great job of reminding us who the doctor was. Tennant built on that beautifully. Smith just went straight to buffoon and stayed there. I would've watched the Centurion Rory & River Song show every night of the week, though. Amy was meh.

I'm looking forward to Capaldi, to remove the horrid taste that Smith left. He certainly can't be worse.
I pretty much agree with all of this, except that by a long, long way, McCoy is at the bottom of my list! I actually gave up watching him and Ace's exploits. Too corny and comicy.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:56 AM   #43
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Before Broadchurch, I would have said Eccleston and Tennant are tied, with Smith way behind. I am ashamed to admit I haven't completed all of the Smith episodes yet -- too much real life got in the way just as I got my streaming powers calibrated -- so it's possible things will change. Smith is charming and fun, but his character oscillates too much between buffoon and strangely cocky despite being a nincompoop and lucking his way through life. I don't know if they are going for Columbo or not, but if they are, they are missing the mark by a huge margin.

Now that I have seen Broadchurch, and thus have finally seen both Eccleston and Tennant in other roles, I am more impressed with Tennant's Doctor. It is clear that he and the Doctor Who team had a specific, well-defined vision for what the Doctor was like during this era. Seeing Eccleston in other roles, it seemed like his Doctor was more Eccleston than The Doctor at times. Yet, I still really enjoyed it even during the bad episodes (and in the first season of the new era, there were many)
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:34 PM   #44
wprager

Quote:
I don't mean this in an unfriendly way, but --

[things that annoy me]

EXCUUUUUSE me for watching it on BBC America.

I haven't seen the end yet. So ixnay on the "you should be in the past tense already" BS, okay?

Seriously, on a forum where we have DVRs, and people timeshift, the idea of being behind someone else's timeslot of live TV should not be foreign to you.

[/things that annoy me]

I actually didn't even realize it hasn't played out in its entirety on BBC America (we don't have that up here). I just read several tweets (from Americans) who said it "was" fantastic and it never occurred to me it has not finished its run "here" yet.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:44 PM   #45
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post
After thinking about it for a while, I have to put them in the following order Tennant -> Eccleson -> Smith. They were all pretty good though.
I didn't have to think and got the same results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
I remembered being totally bummed when Eccleston left the show, but Tennent quickly assuaged any concerns I had. In my opinion, the guy was simply born to play that role.
This.

I grew to not hate/tolerate Smith, but I definitely never loved him.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sushikitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:45 AM   #46
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
I actually didn't even realize it hasn't played out in its entirety on BBC America (we don't have that up here). I just read several tweets (from Americans) who said it "was" fantastic and it never occurred to me it has not finished its run "here" yet.
Fair enough.

However, if I saw a tweet that said something along the lines of "Broadchurch was fantastic" I wouldn't deduce that the show had concluded. The tweeter may have used the past tense because they had watched the episode earlier than the tweet (i.e. the episode was complete by the time the tweet was written).

In other words, yes, the "was" implies completion of some sort, but IMHO it needn't mean the entire run of the show was completed.

Tweets in particular are treacherous because at 140 characters there isn't much room for context.

Note too that if asked I might tell someone "Max Headroom is fantastic!" despite the fact that the show concluded long ago.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:40 AM   #47
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Note too that if asked I might tell someone "Max Headroom is fantastic!" despite the fact that the show concluded long ago.
There are many facts that contradict that statement
Old 09-10-2013, 11:57 AM   #48
cheesesteak
Meh.

Maybe I'm pulling this out of thin air but I get the feeling that women tend to like Tennant a lot more than Smith. Is that because Smith is one weird looking dude? Or am I totally wrong?

Savoir-Faire is everywhere!
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:46 PM   #49
MonsterJoe
waxing cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
Maybe I'm pulling this out of thin air but I get the feeling that women tend to like Tennant a lot more than Smith. Is that because Smith is one weird looking dude? Or am I totally wrong?
I think that is completely contrary to how they were selling smith as his run began.

I've never /watched/ Doctor Who - but in the spirit of this thread, I have started at the beginning.

I keep falling asleep before the ep is over - but I go back to it, so it may grow on me.
MonsterJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:21 PM   #50
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
None of which have any bearing on the linguistic analysis I posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
Are you suggesting that women can't tell which person is a better actor, and only go by how a person looks?

Isn't that ... a guy thing?

Old 09-10-2013, 01:23 PM   #51
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Max Headroom was very good, early on.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:27 PM   #52
MonsterJoe
waxing cynical

Quote:

Isn't that ... a guy thing?

no.
MonsterJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:18 PM   #53
kdelande
TiVo-Wobble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agatha Mystery View Post
See, I find Matt Smith the weakest of the doctors. I just can't get into him as the doctor. Maybe it's because he's so young. The first season with him was awful. I'm still so far behind because I just can't bring myself to watch him.

For me, the ranking of the current doctors is Tennant, Eccleston, and then Smith.

Eccleston just feels like the doctor should feel, when he's been traveling alone too long, sad and depressed. Rose woke him up and energized him. At the end, at his regeneration, his thankfulness seems to come through. Tennant is more whimsical, but he should be. He's a happier man and his life has found meaning again. He can still be dark (no second chances!), but he can turn it off again and live life in the moment as much as possible. He was back to being depressed and ended up with Martha (who was a crappy companion). I think the writers tried to hard with her. Donna was a fun companion and he got to be exasperated. To me, Tennant got to have a great range of emotion.

Matt Smith, to me, tried to be the confused buffoon. He didn't have the suave nature of Tennant and didn't seem bumbling enough to carry off the buffoon. Beyond that, he'd evolved so much with Eccleston and Tennant's characters that it seemed like a step back. Had he been in between Eccleston and Tennant, I might have been able to take it. He just didn't seem to make his character likeable. Once in a blue moon, I'd like his portrayal. Amy and Rory were great companions. I'm currently on what's her face (the dalek who isn't a dalek, etc). It could be the writing, but really, I think it's due to Matt Smith's portrayal and acting abilities that keep me from getting into the character. I need to finish off the old episodes (and catch up) so I can watch the new regeneration with a renewed spirit.
Thanks for this Agatha, it sums up my feelings precisely. Couldn't have summarized how I feel any better than this. I've tried twice to watch the Matt Smith eps, and I keep stalling out after the 4th or so. And it saddens me b/c I was so into this show after being put on to it shortly after the Eccleston reboot. I longed for each new episode, especially the Tennant ones. And I'm aware of the interesting plots to come under Smith (River Song, et al) that I would like to see but I am suffering from Doc Block.

XBL: kdawg5
kdelande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:56 AM   #54
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdelande View Post
Thanks for this Agatha, it sums up my feelings precisely. Couldn't have summarized how I feel any better than this. I've tried twice to watch the Matt Smith eps, and I keep stalling out after the 4th or so. And it saddens me b/c I was so into this show after being put on to it shortly after the Eccleston reboot. I longed for each new episode, especially the Tennant ones. And I'm aware of the interesting plots to come under Smith (River Song, et al) that I would like to see but I am suffering from Doc Block.
Though I mostly agree as well, I will say that he does grow on you at least a little bit -- to the point that you can enjoy episodes despite his portrayal.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote