TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Suggestion Avenue
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-25-2013, 04:24 PM   #1
aceofspades626

smarter season pass recordings

I've recently experienced a number of programs making slight title changes (read: additions) for particular seasons. The result has been missed recordings at critical season premieres.

Rupaul's Drag Race was called Rupaul's Drag Race:Allstars last season.
Young Justice became Young Justice:Invasion for their second season.

Just the couple of examples that came to mind.

I realize there's a lot of this info that just comes from the providers and it plays heck with the "new" label on episodes all the time, but from one season to another, we should have a more reliable Season Pass.
aceofspades626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:47 PM   #2
jrtroo
User

In your case its unfortunate that instead of the network changing a show titles they made it a new show altogether. Not sure what the tivo could do about that. Next time they may well use the old name again.

For some shows they use a predictable pattern and thus make a wish list a preferred option over a season pass. Wish lists are extremely powerful, and may be your best option for the two shows you listed above. (I use them for Survivor and Amazing Race, which change names as a new show each season, for example)
Old 02-26-2013, 05:08 PM   #3
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
In your case its unfortunate that instead of the network changing a show titles they made it a new show altogether. Not sure what the tivo could do about that. Next time they may well use the old name again.
To expand on that, a season pass isn't on a show title, it's using a (hidden) bit of guide data that's called (if I recall correctly) SeriesID.

There used to be a way to see that field, but I think it required you to turn on backdoors; which hasn't been practical in newer TiVos.

Using this is suppose to be more reliable than using the title, as well as being able to distinguish between multiple series with the same name. (The couple examples I can think of offhand are remakes:; TiVo knows that the 1978 Battlestar Galactica isn't the same series as the 2003 one. And that the 2012 and 1978 Dallas series are different)

As long as that SeriesID didn't change the title could be different every week and TiVo would have no problem recording each episode. Conversely even if the title stayed the same, if the SeriesID changed TiVo wouldn't know it was the same series.

It's certainly annoying when new seasons are treated as new shows, and it would be nice if TiVo could automatically deal with that. (Either onboard the TiVo, or have some ability at TiVo HQ to monitor and push out an heads-up when your TiVo called in letting it know that these two IDs are the same series)
Old 02-26-2013, 07:28 PM   #4
Arcady
Stargate Fan

The Amazing Race used to be like this. They would rename it "Amazing Race 7" or "Amazing Race Family" or whatever. They finally got a clue and left it alone, and it has worked for the last several seasons.

There's nothing TiVo can do if they change the name.
Slingbox M1

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote