TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-03-2015, 08:41 PM   #391
TostitoBandito

Quote:
Originally Posted by timhbtr53 View Post
You should be good for a long time now. It sure beats 99 bucks...
Sure was. About $12 for caps and $10 for a crappy high power radio shack soldering iron to desolder since my Weller wasn't able to desolder very effectively.

I was a bit nervous when I turned it on since this was the first significant PCB soldering I've done and figured I might have at least one bad connection in there, but was pleasantly surprised when I heard everything instantly spin up when I plugged it in.

I might finally build the OneTesla kit that I've had sitting around for a couple years.

TostitoBandito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 07:47 PM   #392
ScottUrman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TostitoBandito View Post
Sure was. About $12 for caps and $10 for a crappy high power radio shack soldering iron to desolder since my Weller wasn't able to desolder very effectively.

I was a bit nervous when I turned it on since this was the first significant PCB soldering I've done and figured I might have at least one bad connection in there, but was pleasantly surprised when I heard everything instantly spin up when I plugged it in.

I might finally build the OneTesla kit that I've had sitting around for a couple years.
I know what you mean, when I did the same surgery on my Series3 power supply a month ago it was the first time I had done any soldering at all. But it really was straightforward, just remember to do one cap at a time so you are sure to be putting the new one in the right spot. Totally worth the effort, and definitely beats the $100 and return shipping from weaknees.

ScottUrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 08:20 PM   #393
timhbtr53

Here is a hint to help...

If you look at the board after you removed the caps there is print on the board the side that has lines on it the negative side. So if you remove one and can't remember how it goes back in just look for the lines and put the negative there. I have a picture posted with a part list on the page before this one. I take all the caps out first then test them "just for kicks" then I put the new ones in bend the legs down solder then cut the legs off then recheck for any cold solder joints. The more you do the easier it gets.

Last edited by timhbtr53 : 02-04-2015 at 08:45 PM.
timhbtr53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 12:05 AM   #394
TostitoBandito

Yeah, I was staring at it for a bit wondering how I was going to get them all in the right way when I noticed the hashed markings for the negative posts. Because of that, I ended up just stripping them all out at once so I could desolder and clean all the contacts in one go. Then I installed the new caps one side at a time working my way from the inside out.

TostitoBandito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 05:01 PM   #395
pfortuna56

just wanted to check if the power supply's were interchangeable with models tcd652160 and tcd648250b Im not totally convinced it is the power supply and not the drive Im not technical enough to replace capacitors myself. sorry if this was coverd already I could find anything

pfortuna56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 03:19 AM   #396
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfortuna56 View Post
just wanted to check if the power supply's were interchangeable with models tcd652160 and tcd648250b Im not totally convinced it is the power supply and not the drive Im not technical enough to replace capacitors myself. sorry if this was coverd already I could find anything
In the following remarks when I refer to the 652 it also applies, NOT to the 652 predecessor, the 648, but to the model that came out at the same time as the 652, the 658, which was the exact same except for a 1TB hard drive and THX certification. Power supplies for the 652 and 658 may be considered to be the same, since they are.

There were 2 different models of 652/658 power supply, made by different companies, but the size, shape, mounting holes, cabling, and specs are the same, so they are completely interchangeable.

____________________________________________________________ _____

The 648 and 652 power supplies are not interchangeable on a permanent basis.

Physically they're swappable, and the pinout of the motherboard connector is the same EXCEPT FOR THE EXTRA 7.5V LINE ON THE 648 SUPPLY!

We don't know to what, if anything, that particular pin is connected on the 652 motherboard, so we don't know if putting a 649 supply in a 652 would blow anything up or set anything on fire or not.

You can put a 652 supply in a 648 for testing purposes, and it should run the motherboard and hard drive okay, but not the clock on the front of the 648.

But as I say, the other way 'round, with a 648 supply in a 652, there's that extra wire that may wind up going someplace it shouldn't.

If you have experience with using teeny screwdrivers and such to bend teeny prongs on the metal connectors in Molex plugs to remove them temporarily, then you could remove that line and insulate it well with electrical tape, but if you already had the experience and knowledge to do that sort of thing you'd have already compared the 2 supplies and figured all that out on your own.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 08:33 PM   #397
pfortuna56

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
In the following remarks when I refer to the 652 it also applies, NOT to the 652 predecessor, the 648, but to the model that came out at the same time as the 652, the 658, which was the exact same except for a 1TB hard drive and THX certification. Power supplies for the 652 and 658 may be considered to be the same, since they are.

There were 2 different models of 652/658 power supply, made by different companies, but the size, shape, mounting holes, cabling, and specs are the same, so they are completely interchangeable.

____________________________________________________________ _____

The 648 and 652 power supplies are not interchangeable on a permanent basis.

Physically they're swappable, and the pinout of the motherboard connector is the same EXCEPT FOR THE EXTRA 7.5V LINE ON THE 648 SUPPLY!

We don't know to what, if anything, that particular pin is connected on the 652 motherboard, so we don't know if putting a 649 supply in a 652 would blow anything up or set anything on fire or not.

You can put a 652 supply in a 648 for testing purposes, and it should run the motherboard and hard drive okay, but not the clock on the front of the 648.

But as I say, the other way 'round, with a 648 supply in a 652, there's that extra wire that may wind up going someplace it shouldn't.

If you have experience with using teeny screwdrivers and such to bend teeny prongs on the metal connectors in Molex plugs to remove them temporarily, then you could remove that line and insulate it well with electrical tape, but if you already had the experience and knowledge to do that sort of thing you'd have already compared the 2 supplies and figured all that out on your own.

Thanks for the reply was able to test it out and it was the power pack
all back up and running

pfortuna56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:29 AM   #398
bleech2

I purchased a used HD XL (658) and would like to swap out the power supply with one that has new capacitors. The part numbers are the same (SPWR-00011-000) except the one that came with the used unit is a Rev B2, and the one I want to replace it with is a Rev B0. They layouts appear to be identical, but some of the larger components have different numbers (but look identical otherwise).

Are these power supplies interchangeable?

Last edited by bleech2 : Today at 09:59 AM.
bleech2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:28 PM   #399
bsporl

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
I believe a number of people have ordered from that project list (full link below) and it matches the list that I compiled when I repaired my S3 OLED although I ordered from Digikey.

Mouser project
https://www.mouser.com/ProjectManage...sID=1a42eea4c1

Scott
Thanks for pulling this list/project together. Just completed my order, and now anxiously wait for the capacitors to arrive.

bsporl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:06 PM   #400
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleech2 View Post
I purchased a used HD XL (658) and would like to swap out the power supply with one that has new capacitors. The part numbers are the same (SPWR-00011-000) except the one that came with the used unit is a Rev B2, and the one I want to replace it with is a Rev B0. They layouts appear to be identical, but some of the larger components have different numbers (but look identical otherwise).

Are these power supplies interchangeable?
Did both power supplies come out of either a TCD652160 or a TCD658000?

If so, they are interchangeable. Even if they're 2 different brands.

But if one came out of the original Series 3, the TCD648250, the one with the clock display, you'll have to know how to remove the gray wire from the motherboard plug and insulate the end because the 652 (HD) and 658 (HD XL) do not use that 7.5V line and we don't know what it might short to.

Power supplies from a Series 1, 2, 4, or 5 won't fit and won't have the right connectors.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote