TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-21-2013, 07:45 AM   #1
buscuitboy

Question question about a Series 2 and Amazon linking

I recently sold a Series 2 (DT) lifetime unit on ebay. The transaction went well, the customer posted positive feedback, and all seems good. However, I noticed that it is still linked to all my other TiVos (S3 & S4s) and can still be seen on my online account (I'm in GA, but the S2 is listed with a channel lineup from TX).

While I haven't really worried about it too much, I just remembered something regarding the online services with the S2. No, it can't do Netflix so not worried about that, but I know it can do Amazon (rental only). When I had this S2, it was linked to my online Amazon account. And from what I remember with Amazon, you can't link individual TiVos from your account. You have to either have them ALL or NONE.

Now, before I shipped it off, I manually cleared everything and didn't do a "clear and delete" from within the TiVo, but should I be worried about the Amazon account linking? Or did the buyer have to sort of do all this in order to get their TX channel lineup and no worries? Its been a long time since I have rented from Amazon, but isn't a password required for renting too? Is so, I should be good here too.

At some point, I ultimately need to move this S2 off my main account by creating another account (as suggested here), but until then was just wondering about the Amazon service with an S2.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:58 AM   #2
steve614
what ru lookin at?

If you still have control over that S2, go to your TiVo account and disable downloads and transfers in the DVR Preferences.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:51 AM   #3
buscuitboy

Perfect and that seems like it will do the trick. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:55 AM   #4
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

The problem is that they did not transfer the box to their account. If you had not disabled the transfers at Tivo online, they likely could have downloaded movies from Amazon at your expense. Amazon just links to your Tivo account to determine which boxes are available.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:38 AM   #5
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscuitboy View Post
I recently sold a Series 2 (DT) lifetime unit on ebay. The transaction went well, the customer posted positive feedback, and all seems good. However, I noticed that it is still linked to all my other TiVos (S3 & S4s) and can still be seen on my online account (I'm in GA, but the S2 is listed with a channel lineup from TX).

While I haven't really worried about it too much, I just remembered something regarding the online services with the S2. No, it can't do Netflix so not worried about that, but I know it can do Amazon (rental only). When I had this S2, it was linked to my online Amazon account. And from what I remember with Amazon, you can't link individual TiVos from your account. You have to either have them ALL or NONE.

Now, before I shipped it off, I manually cleared everything and didn't do a "clear and delete" from within the TiVo, but should I be worried about the Amazon account linking? Or did the buyer have to sort of do all this in order to get their TX channel lineup and no worries? Its been a long time since I have rented from Amazon, but isn't a password required for renting too? Is so, I should be good here too.

At some point, I ultimately need to move this S2 off my main account by creating another account (as suggested here), but until then was just wondering about the Amazon service with an S2.
Call up the buyer and instruct them in how to set up the TiVo on their own account.

Tell them that will prevent you from being able to accidentally screw anything up on it.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:53 PM   #6
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Call up the buyer and instruct them in how to set up the TiVo on their own account.

Tell them that will prevent you from being able to accidentally screw anything up on it.
A simple way is to set up your customers TiVo account using the PayPal information, just act as a new customer and start to active any non active TiVo, (I have an old Series 2 for that) Fill out the information TiVo asks for, use a simple password, guess at the tel number, than when TiVo asks for your credit card log out, now you can call TiVo and have them move your customer's TiVo into the account you just created, E-Mail the customer with the password and your done.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:26 PM   #7
WhiskeyTango

Don't you have to enter a PIN before making Amazon purchases on the Tivo?
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:41 PM   #8
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

You should go to amazon.com and under Your Account, scroll down to near the bottom where you would see Your Video Library, you should see something like Your Linked Devices. In there is a list where you can see all your devices and Unregister them.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:50 PM   #9
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
The problem is that they did not transfer the box to their account. If you had not disabled the transfers at Tivo online, they likely could have downloaded movies from Amazon at your expense. Amazon just links to your Tivo account to determine which boxes are available.
That is not necessarily accurate. I have a couple of lifetime S2s that are on two different accounts.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:15 PM   #10
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
You should go to amazon.com and under Your Account, scroll down to near the bottom where you would see Your Video Library, you should see something like Your Linked Devices. In there is a list where you can see all your devices and Unregister them.
There's a "Your Apps and Devices", but that seems to be only for Android devices.

You can't actually link a Tivo to an existing amazon acct, can you? I bought a couple of episodes of a TV show (with some video credit that was about to expire), and I know I can watch them on my iPad (well at least I hope so), but can I also watch them on my Tivo? I certainly don't see a way of getting to 'my library' through my Premiere 4's Amazon interface.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:30 PM   #11
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
There's a "Your Apps and Devices", but that seems to be only for Android devices.

You can't actually link a Tivo to an existing amazon acct, can you? I bought a couple of episodes of a TV show (with some video credit that was about to expire), and I know I can watch them on my iPad (well at least I hope so), but can I also watch them on my Tivo? I certainly don't see a way of getting to 'my library' through my Premiere 4's Amazon interface.
I have my 2 Tivos, ipad, Roku and recently added the Wii to my Amazon account.

~~~~~

Old 02-22-2013, 09:36 AM   #12
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
That is not necessarily accurate. I have a couple of lifetime S2s that are on two different accounts.
Different Tivo accounts? Different Amazon accounts?
Old 02-22-2013, 09:45 AM   #13
tatergator1

Amazon Instant Video (aka Amazon Unbox in year past) requires a 5 digit PIN to complete any transactions. It's been ages since I've downloaded anything to my Series 2, but I am sure of the 5 digit PIN.
tatergator1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:52 AM   #14
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
Different Tivo accounts? Different Amazon accounts?
Different TiVo accounts.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:59 AM   #15
tatergator1

This should get you to the "Settings and Devices" screen on Amazon. Scroll all the way down and you should see your registered Tivo's. Select Unregister.

Amazon Settings and Devices
Old 02-22-2013, 10:12 AM   #16
buscuitboy

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
This should get you to the "Settings and Devices" screen on Amazon. Scroll all the way down and you should see your registered Tivo's. Select Unregister.

Amazon Settings and Devices
I think the problem with this is that you can't unregister just ONE TiVo. It either allows you to keep them ALL from your account or NONE of them. Therefore, for now I need to keep them ALL registered if I want to do any kind of Amazon video transaction for my Series 3 and Premiere units.

Until I get this Series 2 on its own account, I think needing between disabling video downloads in the TiVo online settings and requiring a 5-digit pin for transactions, I should be good.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:13 AM   #17
tatergator1

Yeah, that does appear true. I hardly ever use it and I attempted to unregister a series 2 no longer in use and the system requires you "log-in" to you Tivo account via Amazon and then it adds all boxes on your account.

So, you either get the Tivo removed from your account as you plan too, or update the list and then set a PIN for purchases on one of the subsequent screens to prevent anything unauthorized in the meantime.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:07 PM   #18
poppagene
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscuitboy View Post
I think the problem with this is that you can't unregister just ONE TiVo. It either allows you to keep them ALL from your account or NONE of them. Therefore, for now I need to keep them ALL registered if I want to do any kind of Amazon video transaction for my Series 3 and Premiere units.

Until I get this Series 2 on its own account, I think needing between disabling video downloads in the TiVo online settings and requiring a 5-digit pin for transactions, I should be good.
You need to disable video downloads under device preferences at tivo.com. After you've done that, go to amazon.com and unregister your tivos. When you reregister with amazon, the series 2 won't be linked automatically to your amazon account.
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:01 PM   #19
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
I have my 2 Tivos, ipad, Roku and recently added the Wii to my Amazon account.
But are you able to download *already purchased* movies?

e.g. shows/movies you purchased on another device.. Can you get them on your Tivo?
Old 02-22-2013, 09:14 PM   #20
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
But are you able to download *already purchased* movies?

e.g. shows/movies you purchased on another device.. Can you get them on your Tivo?
With Tivos, I would have the video sent (pushed) to them from amazon, but I can stream from ipad and Roku.

~~~~~

Old 02-25-2013, 09:34 PM   #21
mattack

OK, that still doesn't answer the question.. I see a way to "buy" individual shows on my Tivo.. but I have bought them on my Amazon acct.. so AFAIK, there's no way to actually tie this to my Tivo so that it doesn't want to charge me again.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:19 PM   #22
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

OK, I just went to Amazon, then "Your Video Library" and near the top, "Settings & Devices."
I see all my PIN, devices listed.

I clicked on "Unregister" on one of my Tivos and it unregistered ALL Tivos.

When I try to rent a video, I get....

You would not be able to tell if the Tivo is registered or unregistered with Amazon until you try to rent or purchase anything. If Unregistered, you get the above screen, registered, it will ask for a PIN.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0092.jpg (57.8 KB, 25 views)

~~~~~

Last edited by ThAbtO : 02-25-2013 at 10:28 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:41 PM   #23
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
but I have bought them on my Amazon acct.. so AFAIK, there's no way to actually tie this to my Tivo so that it doesn't want to charge me again.
For videos purchased online, you have to initiate the download to the Tivo through your Amazon account.

Go to your video library online and click on a purchased video. You should get a screen that gives you the option to watch now or download...

When you click on download, you should be given a choice which Tivo (or other device) you want to download to.
Once you select the device, the download is initiated almost immediately.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (79.2 KB, 28 views)

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:44 PM   #24
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Yes, purchased/rented Amazon content that is in your Video Library MUST be 'Push'ed from there and not 'Pull''ed from the Tivo as that will entail another purchase/rent charge.

~~~~~

Old 02-26-2013, 09:07 PM   #25
mattack

OK, THANKS A LOT!!! I honestly didn't realize you couldn't "pull" from a Tivo.. that's why I thought they weren't "really" connected the same way.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:15 PM   #26
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

On the other hand, devices such as Roku and iPad with the Amazon instant video app will not entail additional charges on purchased/rented content as they already grab it from your Video library.

~~~~~