TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-13-2013, 01:43 PM   #61
jgickler
Mr. Rolleyes

I think it is Lindsay. She says she is an engineer, but something she said on the last episode seemed to make me doubt that she actually was. Maybe it is hubris, but as an engineer myself, some of the things she has said seemed pretty dumb, and she is supposedly a chemical engineer, and if she is a chem e, then she has kept all of her knowledge of chemistry to herself.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:16 PM   #62
bacevedo

I was thinking it was Kris, but after the butler pointed out she has never been scared I am not so sure. They could be doing that to make her the red herring, but they could also be using reverse psychology to push suspicion away from her.

Lindsay was also acting very weird and Melina acted a little out of character, too. It will be interesting to see who the killer is and see if they do a recap of hints and clues that we missed along the way (ala The Mole).

And all of them were in the limo, so how could the killer, if it is one of them, had time to tie up Giles while they were gone?
bacevedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:23 AM   #63
Fool Me Twice
<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

With all the reenactment going on each episode, it was difficult to get a read on who was reacting naturally to things and who was playing a character. But, Kam's actions and words were always so assured that even when he was wrong it was as if he was wrong on purpose. Also, his emotions never seemed sincere. I didn't even buy his choking up at the end over his victory.

I will cling to an unfounded conspiracy theory that he was brought into the production side of the show at some point for some reason and was handed the victory. Much the way that Melina was written as (and coached to act the part of) an inductive savant last episode in order to heighten the drama around who would be killed (otherwise her death would have been certain to the viewers since she was isolated from most of the evidence), Kam could have been written in as the eventual winner if he had figured out who the real killer was early on. They could have simply asked him to play along in exchange for a nice reward.

Lindsey would have been the most satisfying winner for me since I never once questioned her innocence.
Fool Me Twice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:39 AM   #64
SleepyBob

Fun show, our kids really got into it, though the ending was a bit abrupt/anti-climactic to me (yay, you won! Here's your money, the end.) I guess I kept wishing that there was a way for us (and them) to solve Whodunnit, a la The Mole, and I kept expecting that kind of wrap up, even though I knew it wasn't coming.
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:49 AM   #65
bacevedo

We had suspected Kris for a few weeks now, but we know that the shows are always heavily edited to misdirect you, so we were sure were wrong. It was satisfying to finally guess correctly and not have there be a twist at the end. This is one of those shows where their direct hints (Kris, you have never been scared) weren't actually just a misdirection.

I thought it was funny that they showed people's reactions on twitter that thought people were really being killed. This is why they could use direct hints and know half the audience wouldn't even pick up on it, since they were this clueless to begin with.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:09 PM   #66
aaronw

So what does kris get? Also, the 'confrontation' in the room with Kris and Kam was just about the most unbelievable piece of 'acting' I have ever seen.
aaronw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:26 PM   #67
SleepyBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacevedo View Post
We had suspected Kris for a few weeks now, but we know that the shows are always heavily edited to misdirect you, so we were sure were wrong. It was satisfying to finally guess correctly and not have there be a twist at the end. This is one of those shows where their direct hints (Kris, you have never been scared) weren't actually just a misdirection.
But it could easily have just been a coincidence that she had never been scared. Kris had to figure out how the murders were done and come up with a theory, just like everyone else. They did that to keep her reactions "normal", but that fact also made it much less likely people could figure it out from their conversations, since she didn't know more than anyone else.
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:41 PM   #68
Azlen

The Mole needed one of the players to be the mole because it was their job to quietly sabotage the players efforts and to keep money out of the pot. They didn't need to do that in this show because identifying the killer was never really part of what they did week to week. All of the questions on the Mole were about the mole. 95% of the questions in this show were about the how rather than the who. If Kris knew how the killing was done and tried to misdirect people or something like that, it would have made more sense but she didn't know any more than anyone else. I think they have the guts of a decent enough summer show and the finale hit a season high in the ratings so I am curious to see if it comes back next year.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:44 PM   #69
bacevedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyBob View Post
But it could easily have just been a coincidence that she had never been scared. Kris had to figure out how the murders were done and come up with a theory, just like everyone else. They did that to keep her reactions "normal", but that fact also made it much less likely people could figure it out from their conversations, since she didn't know more than anyone else.
I am not saying they gave her info so that she never got a scare card, I am saying that it was odd to bring attention to the killer on purpose. Although, it is suspect that she was the only one to never get a scare card. If she was supposed to figure out the murders with everyone else, it's unlikely she would have been able to get through the entire show without ever doing poorly on the test. Either she was given info for the test or they just ignored her tests and never gave her a scare card on purpose. Did Kam ever get a scare card?

I like the concept of the show but a few things bugged me. It's obvious that almost all of the scenes are scripted or required multiple takes. There was just too much "set up" for most of the scenes to be in real time.

Also, in regards to the killer being one of the contestants, like said earlier, it had no bearing on the show at all. The only time it would have come in to play would have been if two people tied on their test and one of them had the killer right and the other didn't. However, there was nothing in the show (that we saw) that would have given anyone any reason to suspect one person or another. They were just there along for the ride and didn't even appear to be trying to steer people the wrong way. What was their purpose during each murder investigation?

And there were times where supposedly the killer was interacting with them, but was also in the same room or was with everyone else when something occurred. (like Giles being tied up, phone call from the killer, etc.) It would have been better just to have the killer be some unknown off screen person or make things happen with multiple contestants (including the killer) off screen so that it's plausible.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:28 PM   #70
Einselen
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Cheesy ending, but it was a cheesy show for the most part. I am with the others though in which the killer should have been a character off screen, not sure why Kris had to be the killer but maybe, just maybe, the quizzes did have more about who than how.

XBL Gamertag - UnseenThought
Einselen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:10 PM   #71
mattack

Darn, when they first got down to 3 people, I briefly thought that the 4th one was the killer, then taunting the other three with the final challenge. VERY briefly. I think that would've been a better way to do it.

It was interesting how the butler did have to deal with some minor improvising when the contestants said something unexpected.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:33 PM   #72
nickels
opinionated dope

The problem with the show's plot is that the winner, Kam, even said he had no idea that Kris was the killer. I was not a fan of the way they had to earn puzzle pieces to solve the riddle. The last one was simple - yes you are the killer. Wrong. Ok, no you are not the killer. Kam didn't use the fine print at all. He shouldn't have been allowed to just change his guess without naming the reason why he changed his mind.

At the end of the day I liked it and hope they tweak/improve the show for next season.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:42 PM   #73
MNoelH
McGruber

TC CLUB MEMBER
I think Kris was named the killer simply because she was the first runner up (or the person with the second best "test" score - or perhaps because she finished the last puzzle 2nd instead of 3rd).

I'm thinking it wasn't predetermined earlier in the season.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:46 AM   #74
nickels
opinionated dope

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNoelH View Post
I think Kris was named the killer simply because she was the first runner up (or the person with the second best "test" score - or perhaps because she finished the last puzzle 2nd instead of 3rd).

I'm thinking it wasn't predetermined earlier in the season.
Go back to the first post and read the attached article.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:49 AM   #75
bacevedo

Another example I just thought of for the show being heavily edited and not making sense to have the killer be one of the contestants.

When Kam and Kris (sp?) were in the last room, they saw Kris kill Lindsay in real time? Or was that supposedly recorded like literally 60 seconds before Kris got into the room with Kam?

All 3 of them were at their puzzle machines only a few minutes before so are they trying to imply that Kris went into the room, got in the knight suit and waited for Lindsay to enter the room to shoot her with the arrow? And then get out of the suit and join Kam in the final room all within minutes?

For all of that to happen in real life, Kam had to be sitting in that final room or somewhere else for a while for them to get Lindsay all set up for her final death scene and the makeup required for that. Which then makes the entire final scene with Kam and Kris pretty much all acting because he had to have known that he won at that point and had some time to process it.

They make it look like everything is happening in real time, but I would be interested to know how much down time they had in between scenes that were supposed to be in real time.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:03 PM   #76
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

The armor was clearly supposed to be automated. There was no need for Kris to be there at all.

Also, it would not be difficult to tell Kam to react to something that was added later in post.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:12 PM   #77
jerrye25
unsocial idiot

Cris said in a couple places now that she knew from the beginning that she was the killer but she didn't know how any of the puzzles were solved because it wouldn't had been fair. If that was the case, she pretty much could have picked who she wanted to win.

She also said she didn't participate in the crimes as they were taking place, they filmed the little pieces of her recreating the crimes later.

There was a nice podcast last night with one of the Rob's from Survivor. He has been doing Big Brother and WhoDunnit podcasts throughout the season (along with some other shows...this guy podcasts everyday). He had the final five on last night all together and they talked about some of the inner workings of the show. It's at www.robhasapodcast.com.
jerrye25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:53 PM   #78
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Glad that's over.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:40 PM   #79
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrye25 View Post
Cris said in a couple places now that she knew from the beginning that she was the killer
Wait, I thought someone posted long ago that they DIDN'T know, and that person definitely wasn't trying to sabotage (like the mole).

Hmm, I guess I should start listening to the reality TV podcast again.. maybe they cover this show.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:58 PM   #80
Azlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Wait, I thought someone posted long ago that they DIDN'T know, and that person definitely wasn't trying to sabotage (like the mole).

Hmm, I guess I should start listening to the reality TV podcast again.. maybe they cover this show.
She knew she was the killer but she didn't know how she killed anybody.
So she wasn't trying to sabotage because she didn't know any more than anyone else.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:06 AM   #81
sieglinde

I found the show somewhat disatisfying. I loved the Mole. The test was part of the show, it added drama. The Mole was done in a more realistic manner with less obvious scripting.