TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-12-2012, 08:11 AM   #1
danplaysbass
I watch too much TV.

Another one bites the dust...

So I've been on here as of late discussing ongoing problems with my S3 OLED unit. For a while I was having issues where only a single tuner was working. I was having issues with my SDV channels (TWC Kansas City) and now the unit will simply not record anything and is pretty much in a constant reboot cycle.

I believe I was experiencing multiple problems and started tackling them. I went through the power supply refurbishment and replaced all the capacitors on the unit and it is now working perfectly. I'm just now worried that the hard drive is failing (which would explain the constant rebooting, right?). I've read some of the threads on HD imaging and replacement but here is my predicament. The cheapest WD Green HD at 500 GB I have seen is $85 on Newegg. I can buy a new TiVo Premiere online at various places for ~$80. Is there any reason to keep dumping money into this S3?

I'm not one to backlog a ton of shows so the standard recording capacity is fine for me.

BTW, if I end up getting a new one I'll sell my newly refurbished power supply to anybody who doesn't want to do it themselves.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:22 AM   #2
uw69

Unless you have lifetime on the S3 I think it's difficult to make a compelling case. I love the OLED S3's, have several of them, but the two tuner Premiere's are a reasonable choice for non-lifetimed upgrade.
1 Roamio plus 470 hours
3 TiVo Mini's
uw69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:24 AM   #3
danplaysbass
I watch too much TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uw69 View Post
Unless you have lifetime on the S3 I think it's difficult to make a compelling case. I love the OLED S3's, have several of them, but the two tuner Premiere's are a reasonable choice for non-lifetimed upgrade.
Ya, its not a lifetime otherwise it would be a different story. Plus I'm paying extra for that 2nd cablecard which I wouldn't need with a premiere...
Old 04-12-2012, 08:54 AM   #4
Joe01880
I love my TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by danplaysbass View Post
Ya, its not a lifetime otherwise it would be a different story. Plus I'm paying extra for that 2nd cablecard which I wouldn't need with a premiere...
Set it aside and wait for HD's to come down and use it for OTA on a spare TV in a guest room or something and get the Premiere. You can maybe find a Premiere with lifetime on it for a fair price somewhere.

Roamio Pro- $99 yearly grandfathered MSD
Premiere- 2TB w/PLS
TiVo HD- 2TB w/ PLS For Sale $350
Series 2- Just sittin around
DVR40- yours if you want it
Connected via Ethernet
FiOS

Joe01880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:33 PM   #5
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe01880 View Post
Set it aside and wait for HD's to come down and use it for OTA on a spare TV in a guest room .

Only problem with this is you still have to pay the TiVo sub fee to make it work.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:55 PM   #6
shwru980r

The monthly fee for a premiere is $14.99 with a one year commitment, while the monthly fee for the S3 is $12.95 with no commitment.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:53 AM   #7
steve614
what ru lookin at?

If he pays full price for the Premiere box, it's possible that TiVo will transfer the $12.95 sub from the S3 to the Premiere.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:54 AM   #8
pmiranda

He should be able to get the multi-subscriber discount on the Premiere. If he lifetimes then he can drop the S3 later and he's golden (I think).
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:21 AM   #9
Joe01880
I love my TiVo

I would think if the OP calls to cancel the S3 TiVo will come up with a good plan to keep getting his money. Never hurts to try, he can always change his mind and not cancel.

Roamio Pro- $99 yearly grandfathered MSD
Premiere- 2TB w/PLS
TiVo HD- 2TB w/ PLS For Sale $350
Series 2- Just sittin around
DVR40- yours if you want it
Connected via Ethernet
FiOS

Joe01880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:45 PM   #10
shwru980r

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmiranda View Post
He should be able to get the multi-subscriber discount on the Premiere. If he lifetimes then he can drop the S3 later and he's golden (I think).
If the qualifying Tivo ceases to connect for 180 days, then I think the OP would lose the discounted rate.

HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
Old 04-13-2012, 03:00 PM   #11
shwru980r

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
If he pays full price for the Premiere box, it's possible that TiVo will transfer the $12.95 sub from the S3 to the Premiere.
According to the Tivo web site, it's $19.99 per month for a full price premiere but there is no commitment, and the full price is $299. It's much cheaper to get the $99 box with the $14.99 per month plan with a one year commitment.

HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
Old 04-13-2012, 03:03 PM   #12
shwru980r

You could probably find a cheap Tivo HD on Craig's List or Ebay. Then you would only need one cable card and could keep the cheaper rate with no commitment.

HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
Old 04-14-2012, 11:09 AM   #13
danplaysbass
I watch too much TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
This is what I'm hoping for. I used to get the MSD for $7. I'm still evaluating my options.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:15 AM   #14
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwru980r View Post
If the qualifying Tivo ceases to connect for 180 days, then I think the OP would lose the discounted rate.
Would the MSD discounted rate be lost permanently after the 180 days? That's what I thought after reading TiVo's terms. But then somebody suggested that if the qualifying TiVo is reconnected, it would then be active and "qualifying" again. So which is correct? The latter would seem to be fairer.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:33 AM   #15
shwru980r

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
Would the MSD discounted rate be lost permanently after the 180 days? That's what I thought after reading TiVo's terms. But then somebody suggested that if the qualifying TiVo is reconnected, it would then be active and "qualifying" again. So which is correct? The latter would seem to be fairer.
I think you would get the currently published MSD rate again when you reconnected the qualifying Tivo. I'm not sure they would restore the $6.95 rate, since they don't offer that rate anymore.

HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA