TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-28-2012, 07:41 AM   #31
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
My experience is the exact opposite. I tried using a Premiere in my bedroom, but it was louder than the TivoHD I have in there now.
For me, hard drive wise, the sound output seems the same from the S4 and S3 models. The fan in the Premiere seems quieter than the S3 boxes. But either way I can easily hear the hard drive and/or fan from across the room from any TiVo. But it doesn't typically bother me.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:02 PM   #32
DocNo

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
when creating 13 or 14 partitions, I usually have to redo at least 4 or 5 of them at least 3 or 4 times. Dual windows really help a lot, and indeed are absolutely essential, if you ask me.
If you ever do that again, instead of typing commands into a terminal type them into a text file and run 'em as a script. Much less tedious

The only practical way I see putting an SSD in a Tivo is to do it transparently with an in-line cache. I actually finally found one - but so far it doesn't seem available out of Taiwan or Hong Kong

I wish I knew someone who speaks Mandarin - I'd happily pay to have them call and see if there was any way to get one here in the US.

And as an aside for the whole noise while sleeping thing, I use this app on my old iPhone in an iHome clock radio and really like it. Their sounds are completely random with no patterns (first of these "noise generators" where I wasn't focused more on the sound loops than sleeping), and while I initially thought the whole "brain wave" thing was complete hokum, sometimes it gets switched off and if I notice the next day more often than not I didn't sleep as well the previous night. Could be psychically psyco-sematic I guess - either way who cares if I sleep better
Tivo HD - On the way out the door
DocNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:35 AM   #33
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo View Post
If you ever do that again, instead of typing commands into a terminal type them into a text file and run 'em as a script. Much less tedious
AFAIK, pdisk does not accept input from stdin. An Expect script should work, I suppose, but writing an Expect script would be far more tedious than the interactive CLI. For that matter, I don't see that using a text editor would be that much less tedious than inputting the info into pdisk directly. Editing the table directly in pdisk is not that much different than doing so in a text editor, especially since pdisk does the offset calculations for you, which would have to be done on paper, in one's head, or using a calculator when editing a text file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo View Post
The only practical way I see putting an SSD in a Tivo is to do it transparently with an in-line cache.
I don't know why you say that. If the SSD has at least as much capacity as the original hard drive that came with the TiVo, it would be a piece of cake. The OP's issue is the SSD has less capacity than the original drive.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:21 AM   #34
aaronwt
HD Addict

The solution is to get a Premiere and a TiVo Mini when they are released. 512GB SSDs are not cheap.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:27 PM   #35
shwru980r

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The solution is to get a Premiere and a TiVo Mini when they are released. 512GB SSDs are not cheap.
I think they said the mini will only work with the XL4.
Humax DRT800-Lifetime-OTA
Series 2-Lifetime-Cable
Series 2-Lifetime-Cable
Toshiba SD-H400-Basic-Cable
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 01:39 PM   #36
lrhorer

Quote:
The solution is to get a Premiere and a TiVo Mini when they are released.
More strongly than ever, I cannot recommend a Premier, but a solution that goes completely belly up when one very frail element fails? No, thanks.

Quote:
512GB SSDs are not cheap.
I believe he already has the SSD, so its relative cost is irrelevant.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote