TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > HD Comcast TiVo DVR (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-27-2012, 10:49 AM   #1
Cynthia Blue

Question TiVo, Comcast, Recording Questions

We just switched from DirecTV to Comcast about a month ago... and I'm finding that the DVR box is really not very good. There's only like 160g of Memory so can only record 17 hours of shows. And it can only record 2 shows at once. There's no skip-ahead on the remote either, which is annoying. So we are looking into a TiVo box. We are in Salt Lake City, UT, if that makes a difference.

My questions are...
1 Do we have to keep a Comcast DVR in addition to the TiVo box? Or just get a Comcast cable card? We've read both versions. Not really worth it if we have to have both.

2 If we get the TiVo that can record 4 shows at once, would we be able to, even if the Comcast DVR only can record 2? Is that a box limitation or a Comcast limitation? I'd love to be able to record 4 at once.

3 Can we hook up more than one TV to the TiVo? My husband isn't really as bit a TV watcher as me, so he'd just watch my recorded shows... or get the cable channels. Or would we need two TiVos?

4 I've read we couldn't get On Demand with TiVo... not really a biggie, I didn't have it with DirecTV or when I was on Dish years ago, so not a big loss. Having streaming through Netflix etc on the TiVo might be nice.

5 is the TiVo interface lots nicer than the Comcast DVRs? The Comcast DVR interface is, imho, rather sucky. At least compared to how DirecTV was.

Thanks!
Cynthia Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:32 PM   #2
WhiskeyTango

1. You only need a cable card. The newer Tivos replace the cable box.

2. The XL4 can record 4 channels, has nothing to do with Comcast.

3. It is possible to hook up more than one tv but it takes some work. Best to get two Tivos or one of the 'Mini's' whenever they come out.

4. No ON Demand but you can still order PPV. Plus the Tivo has Amazon where you can purchase shows.

5. Tivo's interface is the only one I know so can't comment on that.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:55 PM   #3
Cynthia Blue

Cool thanks for the info. I think we are going to buy one.. hopefully it'll work out.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:34 PM   #4
jrtroo
User

I have used both interfaces. Tivo has a natural flow to it. Comcast was unbelievably crazy- it took different paths for the menus when using on demand vs. dvr. It missed all sorts of shows and was never clear why. When you were done watching something, it did not bring you back to the dvr folder, but to the main menu.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:08 PM   #5
Cynthia Blue

yeah i agree, the Comcast DVR is a mess... doesn't even have a back button to go to the prior screen. I don't like it at all.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:22 PM   #6
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
3. It is possible to hook up more than one tv but it takes some work. Best to get two Tivos or one of the 'Mini's' whenever they come out.
While you can connect more than one TV to a TiVo, you can't send different signals to them. IOW, both TVs would show the same picture.

Quote:
Best to get two Tivos or one of the 'Mini's' whenever they come out.
Not only "Best", but totally necessary if you want to view different things at the same time.

Quote:
4. No ON Demand but you can still order PPV. Plus the Tivo has Amazon where you can purchase shows.
Depending on where the OP is, On-demand may be available now or at some point in the future.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:32 AM   #7
Cynthia Blue

Thanks for the info, good to know! I've ordered a TiVo.. hopefully it'll come soon.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:26 AM   #8
Cynthia Blue

I got the Tivo, hooked it up last night with the Comcast Cable card, and it works great. Super nice interface, way better than Comcast (not even a comparison really) and better than what we had with Dish or DirecTV too. Still gotta set all my shows to record as it didn't finish downloading all the show info before I went to bed.

But it's slick!

Last edited by Cynthia Blue : 10-05-2012 at 07:55 AM. Reason: took out spam notification