TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-30-2012, 12:39 PM   #31
lpwcomp

Find out if your local Home Depot has this one in stock.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:44 PM   #32
CynPiz

Thanks, Guys...I actually just ordered two IDEAL brand splitters on the Home Depot website (same price as the GE) and did and in-store pickup order...Hopefully they will have them for me...

I can't tell you how much I appreciate all your assistance...
CynPiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:38 AM   #33
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynPiz View Post
Thanks, Guys...I actually just ordered two IDEAL brand splitters on the Home Depot website (same price as the GE) and did and in-store pickup order...Hopefully they will have them for me...

I can't tell you how much I appreciate all your assistance...
I think I would attempt to set your Elite/XL4 MoCA up, first, without the splitter before the TA, It "may" be able to use the 900MHz range to establish the network connection. Also, I do not know for a fact the Cisco TA will not pass through over 1000MHz, it is just what I have heard. If it does not work then use the splitter. The Elite/XL4 needs a very good signal strength and using the splitter will reduce the signal by at least 3dBmV.

Another, item you should install is a MoCA POE (Point-of-Entry) Filter at the entrance to your home, this will both strengthen the MoCA network signal within your home and keep your MoCA network from leaving your home, for both security and to keep the signal from reaching your neighbors and the cable plant.

You can most likely get a MoCA POE (Point-of-Entry) Filter free from your Cable Co, most companies require its use in homes using MoCA.

https://www3.tivo.com/store/accessories-networking.do
"A MoCA (Multimedia over Coax) "Point of Entry" filter is designed to keep MoCA signals concentrated in your home and may improve the performance of a MoCA home network. Install it in-line only at the point of entry of your cable line into your home."

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/coll...63/7016817.pdf

I decided against investing in MoCA due to the unknown TA factor and possible need for a splitter, reducing signal strength. I originally went with a WiFi "N" bridge, and then to hardwired Ethernet when I needed a better network for Multi-Room Streaming. I can MRS between Premieres using Dual-Band 2.4/5GHz Wireless N, but not consistently using just 2.4GHz.

I am really tempted, to purchase a MoCA adapter just to determine whether or not the TA will pass the required frequencies. But Cox uses the 900MHz range for 25 HD channels, where no one else does, so that also poses another hurdle, if indeed the TA cannot pass >1000MHz.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CoxInPHX : 07-31-2012 at 03:15 AM.
CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:07 AM   #34
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
I think I would attempt to set your Elite/XL4 MoCA up, first, without the splitter before the TA, It "may" be able to use the 900MHz range to establish the network connection. Also, I do not know for a fact the Cisco TA will not pass through over 1000MHz, it is just what I have heard.
I have the Cisco STA1520 and did have an issue with the "pass-thru" filtering out my MoCA signal so I had to put the splitter before it.

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:47 AM   #35
jrtroo
User

A word of warning on splitters- the ones you can buy at home depot are not necessarily going to allow signals to pass. I have a small box full of these that did not allow for good signal around the house.

If you have issues- it could make sense to have the cable company install theirs. Do this- sign up for their "insurance" for ~1.50 per month that protects your wiring. Then have them come out, clear it up, and cancel for the next month.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:29 PM   #36
CynPiz

Alright here's the scoop:

Everything is hooked up. I'm using 2.4Ghz splitters. I DID install the splitter before the TA. I didn't even try to go straight to the TIVO...

Tivo CANNOT find the MoCA signal (N33 error).

Do you think I should take out the splitter and try again?
PS - Everything else is working so the connections are all solid
Old 07-31-2012, 02:30 PM   #37
CynPiz

Also - I didn't get a point of entry filter yet. I have a feeling Optimum won't install it. They will probably tell me they don't do MoCA...Remember: I don't have Fios...
Old 07-31-2012, 02:48 PM   #38
compnurd

Quote:
Alright here's the scoop:

Everything is hooked up. I'm using 2.4Ghz splitters. I DID install the splitter before the TA. I didn't even try to go straight to the TIVO...

Do you think I should take out the splitter and try again?
PS - Everything else is working so the connections are all solid
Have you rebooted everything(included the router)
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:14 PM   #39
CynPiz

Yes - And I spoke with TiVO tech support...They INSIST there is no way for me to pass MoCA without the cable company specifically installing it....Ugh....Oh well...At least I tried...

Anything else you want me to prove to everyone?
LOL
Old 07-31-2012, 03:15 PM   #40
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:

Is it possible there's a splitter somewhere between the MoCA adapter connected to your router and the TiVo? When I first installed MoCA I had the same issue: got everything connected but no MoCA signal. I eventually found a 900MHz splitter in the attic. Replaced that with the 2GHz splitter and everything lit up.

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:56 PM   #41
lpwcomp

Try power cycling the TiVo with everything else connected and powered up.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:36 PM   #42
Kingpcgeek
Couch Potato

Quote:
OK - I believe I am understanding this very well...
I need to be certain to use the correct type of coax splitter, right? I am reading that I need one that will pass 1 Ghz or higher...The ones at radio shack are 900 Mhz (100 Mhz shy) - Will I have trouble with those? They are only 9 bucks each.

Or should I just splurge and but the MONSTER 2GHz splitters from best buy? They are 20$ each! EEk...
Please never buy anything from Monster. Monoprice has a 3-Way 5~2400MHz splitter for $2.51

Be warned that depending how the coax is wired in your house the MoCA route may work, and it may not. For example in my house I have home runs from the DMarc on the outside of the house to each wall jack. The run from the street goes to a 2-way splitter, one line going to the Cable modem, the other going to an 8 way amplified splitter. Since MoCA signals cannot pass through the amplifier I cannot use MoCA to my Cable modem/router.
Kingpcgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:41 AM   #43
CynPiz

Ok - Sorry late post but I was at work until late last night...

There are no additional splitters before the TiVo...But I do agree that the problem may have something to do with the way coax is wired in my house...
Kingpcgeek sheds some light on the subject...Of course there is an amplifier splitting the signal or I wouldn't have the cable signal strong enough for all my TVs...

This apparently is not needed for FiOS? Fiber optics must be much diff from digital cable signal? It doesn't need amplification? Therefore MoCA can be pushed thru?

BTW - In addition to not being able to receive the MoCA at the TiVO, the adapter interfered with my telephone signal. It was causing that tunnel & flipping effect which made it difficult to have a conversation...
Old 08-01-2012, 09:03 AM   #44
compnurd

The use of an AMP just depends. I have cable but my signal coming into my house the signal is strong enough so i dont need an AMP
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote