TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2012, 10:49 AM   #121
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'
 
murgatroyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Berkeley CA
Posts: 22,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhip View Post
Amelia is top 20 no doubt unless she tanks it. They need that big personality like Melanie Moore.
Again, not feeling the Melanie Moore love, but I understand your point.

At the risk of repeating myself -- having now assembled a really fine set of dancers, are they going to shoot themselves in the foot and kill the impact of the dancing with the new overblown dancer-swallowing Set of Doom?

Janelle has the huge gold prop, so she can take focus away from the Set of Doom, and Chehon has the power, but I worry about everyone else -- especially Amelia. If she brings a quiet, reflective piece like that last solo to the big stage, what abomination of over-production are they going to do to it?
__________________
"The capacity of human beings to disappoint me is never ending." -- Ereth
murgatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:33 AM   #122
Cainebj
Registered User
 
Cainebj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 2,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
kill the impact of the dancing with the new overblown dancer-swallowing Set of Doom?
the Set of Doom is a metaphor for Nygel Lythgoe's manhood so it will probably be worse this year.

i guess we find out next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
The producers know if they let some of the dancers age a little more, they'll come back even stronger.
yeah the only problem with that is at some point this show is not going to come back - i'm not sure because i don't know the comparative numbers but it is kind of looking like the ratings are down. does anyone know?

I LOVE Cat Deeley.
She is one of the best reality show competition hosts there is. Ms. Deeley - was signing on to do The Choice really a good idea?
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:11 PM   #123
mwhip
All better
 
mwhip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Dallas
Posts: 16,538
Ratings for this show during summer are really good it is in Top 10. The year they tried to do outside of summer was terrible ratings.
__________________
"It's not stealing if you need it. And you need it." - Inignot

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:17 PM   #124
Cainebj
Registered User
 
Cainebj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 2,692
I think I saw someplace it was around 6 million viewers this year - BUT - wasn't it close to double in previous summers?

that was what i was wondering.

i could be wrong it might be right on par.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:00 PM   #125
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista
 
photoshopgrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Boring Ohio
Posts: 3,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post
Yeah, I guess a lot of people liked her.
I did not, not even a little.
I am petty and silly but her face and hair annoyed me no end and I could never get past it.
Yes, she annoyed me to no end as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehma View Post
Oh, good, Cole Horibe (the good martial arts guy, not the annoying one ). I liked his audition and then never saw him again, though I thought I saw him in the final lineup at Vegas.
If you remember in his audition he named about 10 styles he had trained in. I'm betting he knocked it out of the park through Vegas and will make the Top 20. He's my favorite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
That Cyrus from Dragonhouse is SICK!
Yeah his solo was crazy good. I was glad he did well enough in the other rounds to go through. I don't know if I think he's good enough to take a Top 20 spot though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
what was the guy's name who was eliminated 2 years ago when Mary went to his family's house to tell him and then he auditioned again this year without telling his Mom and called her after he got through to Vegas?

i was surprised he was eliminated
- they've given him so much air time i thought he was a lock for Top 20.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
Adrian Lee. I wasn't surprised he was eliminated. He seems like a nice guy, a good dancer, and yet there's nothing he's shown that grabs me. As the old wheeze goes, I wouldn't pick up the phone for him.
I loved Adrian. I was really upset that he was cut. I would have picked up the phone for him. I think they cut him because he wasn't unique enough of a dancer, however, he was sweet, charming and cute and I think that would have gotten him far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
Rachel, the burlesque girl -- that was desperation.
Oh so desperate. SOOOO glad she got cut. I was really pissed when they allowed her to dance for her life just because she begged. And she reminds me of a trashier version of Alicia Silverstone so she had that going against her from the get go, even before the stripper routine.

And Daniel Bake is a lock. Still not seeing what's so special about his dancing. Although, he can talk all day long with that Aussie accent and I might be convinced to like him more.
__________________
~Cristina~
There ain't no me if there ain't no you.
photoshopgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:23 PM   #126
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'
 
murgatroyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Berkeley CA
Posts: 22,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl View Post
And Daniel Bake is a lock. Still not seeing what's so special about his dancing. Although, he can talk all day long with that Aussie accent and I might be convinced to like him more.
I don't think anybody is a lock, because we aren't privy to the casting process -- we can only guess.

We've seen what, three ballet guys featured during the auditions, and it's evident from seeing their ballet work which one is the principal dancer, which one has been a soloist, and which one is just in the corps. I don't think the guy from Cincinnati Ballet (the one who had the really goofy audition) made it through to the end -- I don't see him in the final lineup. There's another guy they mentioned who was trained in ballet, but I can't remember his name -- I'm not sure if he's in the lineup either.

So let's say that they have one 'ballet dancer' role that they want to fill, and they have Daniel Baker or Chehon to pick from. They could go either way -- picking Chehon because he's such a fabulous dancer -- or picking Daniel because he has more "room to grow".

What we haven't seen is what they've shown the judges during Vegas week, and when it comes down to who actually goes on the show, a big amount is going to come down to the chemistry they've shown with their partners, and which girl they might be partnered up with.

Aside from the honking big clue that they are looking for "uniqueness", in which case they might toss Daniel into the mix for Aussie flavor, I don't think we have enough evidence to know which way they'll go.

Take a look at the lineup, and think about how many guys are in there who never got much of a shout-out during auditions/Vegas at all. We could get big surprises.

We'll just have to wait and see.
__________________
"The capacity of human beings to disappoint me is never ending." -- Ereth

Last edited by murgatroyd : 06-22-2012 at 08:36 PM.
murgatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:34 PM   #127
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista
 
photoshopgrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Boring Ohio
Posts: 3,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd

Daniel Baker.

He's pretty good for someone who comes out of the corps de ballet.

We've seen what, three ballet guys featured during the auditions, and it's evident from seeing their ballet work which one is the principal dancer, which one has been a soloist, and which one is just in the corps.

What we haven't seen is what they've shown the judges during Vegas week, and when it comes down to who actually goes on the show, a big amount is going to come down to the chemistry they've shown with their partners, and which girl they might be partnered up with.
Chehon, Daniel and who is the other?
__________________
~Cristina~
There ain't no me if there ain't no you.
photoshopgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:07 PM   #128
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'
 
murgatroyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Berkeley CA
Posts: 22,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl View Post
Chehon, Daniel and who is the other?
There was the goofy guy who did the cheesy audition to Bobby Darin's "Dream Lover", with his shirt flapping around in the breeze, and then Mary asked if they could see him actually doing ballet, and they cued up some instrumental music. He's from Cincinnati Ballet. I don't think he made it through to the end. [edited to add: Stephen Jacobsen, from the LA auditions -- see http://cincinnati.com/blogs/tv/tag/stephen-jacobsen/ ]

Then there was a couple during the cha-cha round that they showed briefly, that I think Cat said were ballet dancers. Those are the ballet-trained guys I remember from the audition shows and Vegas week.
__________________
"The capacity of human beings to disappoint me is never ending." -- Ereth

Last edited by murgatroyd : 06-22-2012 at 10:18 PM.
murgatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:22 PM   #129
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?
 
Kamakzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: MI
Posts: 4,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
I thought it was relief at getting through.

Rachel, the burlesque girl -- that was desperation.
True. Stripping practically. Not that it offended me in anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
More belly dancer please! lol
Mmmmm yes please.
__________________
HR-20 x 2
HR-21 x 2
Kamakzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:02 AM   #130
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy
 
Cearbhaill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Down the rabbit hole
Posts: 13,175
IMO the belly dancer is good not because she is a good belly dancer but because she is a good belly dancer who conveys an awesome personality as she dances.
She's adorable.
__________________
Choose joy!
Cearbhaill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:44 AM   #131
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'
 
murgatroyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Berkeley CA
Posts: 22,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post
IMO the belly dancer is good not because she is a good belly dancer but because she is a good belly dancer who conveys an awesome personality as she dances.
She's adorable.
She's also trained in several other styles -- so watch out, top 20.
__________________
"The capacity of human beings to disappoint me is never ending." -- Ereth
murgatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:08 PM   #132
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'
 
murgatroyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Berkeley CA
Posts: 22,682
I found the video for Evanescence - My Immortal on YouTube a couple of days ago, and I've had an earworm ever since. I blame Hampton Williams.



This is one of my measures for how good a performance is. If I don't know a piece of music, or previously didn't like a piece of music, and someone's performance makes me say "must go get a copy of this song" then I know their performance (and/or the choreography) has sold me.

E.g. I didn't like much hip-hop until SYTYCD, but now I sort of get it.
__________________
"The capacity of human beings to disappoint me is never ending." -- Ereth
murgatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:39 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |