TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-14-2012, 01:32 PM   #91
bhoch99

It's not about the money

Let the lawyers keep 99% of the money. For me, it's about the principle. Analog Tivos let me transfer everything I record, but digital do not due to the CCI byte. Sign me up for the lawsuit!
bhoch99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:05 PM   #92
thekitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoch99 View Post
Let the lawyers keep 99% of the money. For me, it's about the principle. Analog Tivos let me transfer everything I record, but digital do not due to the CCI byte. Sign me up for the lawsuit!
AGREED! I don't like attorneys and what they do with their businesses anymore than any other "non-shark", but if they can do something GOOD for WE THE PEOPLE then so be it. Time to stick it to Comcast. It's bad enough they are ripping us off and monopolizing. They can't take our V C Rs!
thekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:27 PM   #93
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

For years HBO has required the application of CGMS-A to analog output of their stuff (see this).

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
mikeyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:42 PM   #94
shwru980r

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekitten View Post
AGREED! I don't like attorneys and what they do with their businesses anymore than any other "non-shark", but if they can do something GOOD for WE THE PEOPLE then so be it. Time to stick it to Comcast. It's bad enough they are ripping us off and monopolizing. They can't take our V C Rs!
You could put a Tivo in every room of your house for what an attorney would charge you, but then you wouldn't have anything to complain about.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:55 AM   #95
moedaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyts View Post
For years HBO has required the application of CGMS-A to analog output of their stuff (see this).
It isn't applied everywhere though. I record HBO/Cinemax shows on my dvr and then copy them via composite to the hdd of my Panasonic dvd recorder and then make dvd's of those shows. No problems at all. And no, I won't tell you who my provider is!
moedaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:11 AM   #96
ggieseke

I've seen several threads regarding Comcast and certain cableboxes. Evidently the box adds Macrovision to the analog outputs on every channel including OTA. It affects S1/S2 TiVos, HTPCs and probably even old VCRs.

Since they're a lot more reasonable than TW regarding the CCI byte I doubt that it's deliberate. I think they just screwed up somewhere in the STB firmware.

Filing an FCC complaint is probably the only way to get the ball rolling. I doubt that most Comcast CSRs even know what analog is, much less Macrovision.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:49 PM   #97
shwru980r

A video stabilizer will solve the macro-vision issue.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:34 AM   #98
dstarr2112

how can I get in on this class action suit? they're ripping me off too
Quote:
Hello,

I've been battling this problem for years with both my Tivo and now Windows Media Center. It seems Comcast is getting worse, not better. This must be a "secret" effort for them to continue their monopoly and control the TV recording market as well.

As of late, just about every channel and any show I try to record outside of broadcast local television is blocked by CCI flag. This occurs with analog cable and with the digital box. I recently raised a tech support issue with Comcast, but I don't think that will go anywhere. Also, when and if Comcast "fixes" this, it appears they are fixing only for people that spend lots of time to complain?

Definitely not fair, and how it is within Comcast's legal right to block all these channels from being recorded?

dstarr2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:59 AM   #99
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstarr2112 View Post
how can I get in on this class action suit? they're ripping me off too
If there were any realistic possibility of success of such a suit the lawyers would already be all over it (in their ceaseless struggle for freedom and justice for the American people!).

Quit whining! We Time Warner Cable customers know what copy protection is, long before Comcast started it. I see this is your first post so you obviously haven't researched this issue on this forum. Fact is it's legal, per FCC regulations, for the Cable Cos to apply copy protection at their whim, without explanation, to any channel they desire except for cable copies of local broadcast stations. You're wasting your energy on this issue. Even if you could get ALL the affected CATV subscribers (less than 1% of all subscribers) marching on DC with torches, it wouldn't be enough political clout to get this changed.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:59 PM   #100
ramblinche81

Comcast Copy Protection is a TiVo Problem

Quote:
Hello,

I've been battling this problem for years with both my Tivo and now Windows Media Center. It seems Comcast is getting worse, not better. This must be a "secret" effort for them to continue their monopoly and control the TV recording market as well.

As of late, just about every channel and any show I try to record outside of broadcast local television is blocked by CCI flag. This occurs with analog cable and with the digital box. I recently raised a tech support issue with Comcast, but I don't think that will go anywhere. Also, when and if Comcast "fixes" this, it appears they are fixing only for people that spend lots of time to complain?

Definitely not fair, and how it is within Comcast's legal right to block all these channels from being recorded?
Great minds think alike.....your is a great mind and I was having the same thoughts as I evaluated the multi room functionality of Comcast vs TiVo. Comcast claims to offer MultiRoom from a single DVR, with companion converter boxes in auxilliary rooms. Comcast does NOT support streaming with multiple DVR in a home. If you have multiple DVR only ONE can stream. Others are stand alone, and cannot stream from the parent DVR to a second DVR.

While the letter of the law could be on the side of Comcast, the reality is they are interfering with competition. The intent of the mandatory cablecard regulations was to open up competition.

This one gets interesting because one of the remedies (a legal basis) is for TiVo to figure out how to stream from devices (in this case S3 to S4), if I read, S4 already allows streaming to networked S4. S3 doesn't support live streaming.

So.....the problem isn't Comcast, the problem is TiVo has not provided software for streaming on S3.

So, it isn't a Comcast problem, it is a TiVo problem.

that said, if Comcast interferes with streaming or blocks streaming, then there is a basis for legal complaint against Comcast.
ramblinche81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:08 AM   #101
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Comcast does not protect anything but the movie channels per corporate policy, so if the local is doing something different escalate the issue to corporate.

You're nuts if you think suing them (or TWC, or Brighthouse, who HAVE a corporate policy to protect everything but the locals) will get anywhere. IIRC the FCC says that only the locals have to be kept in the clear.

Finally, Tivo is not going to update the S3 software to allow streaming to get around this issue - if they were going to do it they would have done so when it was released for the S4s.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:00 AM   #102
EVizzle
^^MacGvyer^^

Really awful experience today with copy protection. I subscribe to NHL Gamecenter, but with the Center Ice trial I figured I would see how that service works in conjunction with a TiVo (xl4). I recorded two games plus the local game from FoxSportsNorth and watched the local game first, and noticed a 24hr window needed to view. Oh yeah, now I remember why I don't subscribe...

Anyway, after watching the local game, no more than 6 hours after the games aired, they were gone. Not 24, not 12, but 6 hours after they aired they were not watchable.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:24 AM   #103
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

That's normal and expected - those are considered to be PPV channels and are set to copy never, so you better watch them fast.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote