TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-20-2013, 10:53 PM   #1
Ryan1524

TiVo Series 2 and Direct TV help

Hello - I have a TiVo series 2 and want to use it with my direct tv cable box. When I go to change the the channel setup on my TiVo, there is no option for my direct TV box. My model number is H25/700. Can anyone suggest what option I can select to allow my Tivo DVR to control my DT receiver? Thank you in advance.
Ryan1524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:08 AM   #2
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Why would you hook a pile of crap like a series 2 TiVo to an HD satellite receiver? There's no way it knows what that is, because it came out a decade after it was built. Why wouldn't you just get a DVR from DirecTV?
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:06 AM   #3
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
Why would you hook a pile of crap like a series 2 TiVo to an HD satellite receiver? There's no way it knows what that is, because it came out a decade after it was built. Why wouldn't you just get a DVR from DirecTV?
Maybe he's like a friend of mine and has a TiVo 2 with PLS and an analog TV and prefers LB'd 16:9 to FS 4:3. ( I also have one* but it is connected to an SD cable box but oddly enough to an HD TV. Long story.).

* Actually, I have two but one is currently in storage with a dead hard drive. Even hers used to be mine). I also have 2 Premieres and a THD.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:51 AM   #4
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Right. But you're paying a monthly fee for the DTV box. Why not just have an HD DVR instead of receiving HD, downconverting it to analog SD, re-encoding the SD to MPEG-2, and basically having it look like trash, when you can just pay DTV for a DVR and have it look right?
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:56 AM   #5
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan1524 View Post
Hello - I have a TiVo series 2 and want to use it with my direct tv cable box. When I go to change the the channel setup on my TiVo, there is no option for my direct TV box. My model number is H25/700. Can anyone suggest what option I can select to allow my Tivo DVR to control my DT receiver? Thank you in advance.
Welcome to TCF.

I'm sorry your first post here met with such an ungracious response.

Have you tried re-running Guided Setup on the TiVo with the satellite receiver tuned to a satellite channel and connected via RCA cables or audio + S-Video to the TiVo's line inputs, and telling the TiVo to look for a satellite receiver on those inputs?

If there's no video on the input when it looks for it, setup will fail.

As to whether the TiVo can handle the remote control commands to allow it to change channels on the satellite receiver, that's a separate issue which I don't know enough about to say one way or the other.
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:49 PM   #6
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan1524 View Post
I have a DVD burner S2 that controls an H25 just fine using the Patersontech USB TV Translator. This gives me excellent channel changing control without the drawbacks of IR and works well. I should point out that the code set used for the TV translator is essentially the same as for using IR, so I expect IR will work for you when you do guided setup and tell it you are using a satellite receiver.

I connect my H25 to the Humax TiVo using S-Video and connect the TiVo to the TV set using RGB. Since the TiVo is also a DVD recorder/player it gives a relatively good looking picture for DVDs and a not bad SD picture for TV shows recorded at Best or high. For DVDs my wife can't tell the difference between playing them on this old S2 or from the BluRay player one shelf up. For me this is the backup DVR, it records my sci-fi and shows I want that conflict when two shows are already recording on the DirecTV HD DVR in the other room.

Your results may vary from mine, my TV is a Pioneer Kuro and has fabulous SD to HD upconversion. I have seen normal S2 DVRs plugged into cheaper LCD HD TVs and the SD looked pretty poor no matter what I did. All I can suggest is that you give it a try and see if the output looks acceptable to you.

Good luck.
CuriousMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:37 PM   #7
DLL66

I have 2 Tivo Series 2 for over 10 years now. I have DirecTV with HD. My Tivo is compatible with my HD receiver. Yeah, it isn't HD when I'm watching Tivo, but I don't care! I look at it this way. I spent the money on Lifetime Service on both of my Tivo and saving a little money that way.

I don't have the receiver that the OP has. To the OP, have you tried the other DirecTV codes?
DLL66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:45 PM   #8
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
The Series 2 should be able to control the H25. Rerun Guided Setup and select Satellite as the option. If the list for box brand doesn't mention DirecTV, try Hughes.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:00 PM   #9
Edmund
Remote Czar

The directv receiver will have to be in IR mode, set to the default IR codeset, according to this thread, tivo code is 10074. which listed under D10 in that thread.
Edmund is offline   Reply With Quote