TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-30-2012, 03:43 PM   #1
DilRmz

Guided Setup problem

I have a Tivo HD Series 3, Motorola SDV box, TW CableCard, 1tb WD expander and Apple Time Capsule.

I have owned this Tivo dvr for a couple of years and it was set-up to TW. It worked fine the entire time I was with TW. I switched to Uverse for 3 months and did not like that service. However, I could still watch my old recordings on the Tivo connected to tv with HDMI. So I switched back to TW and got a new cablecard.

Tivo successfully connected using wifi. But it did not load TW programming data. Talking to Tivo customer service I was directed to go through complete Guided Set-up. The Tivo is stuck in the set-up getting error S03 at the last stage of downloading data. There have been 15+ reboots of all cables and power supplies. The Tivo dvr was initially connected to a faulty coaxial splitter and I wonder if that caused this problem.

The only help that I have found in this forum so far is to do a Kick Start. However that will loose all of the Season Passes and old recordings.

It does not make sense to me that the Tivo dvr worked fine minutes before the Guided Set-up and now possibly has a corrupt HD.

Please suggest anything that may work to get through the guided set-up. I was using the Tivo wifi adaptor but now have Tivo dvr connected directly to TW Motorola router with ethernet. The cablecard is paired and active. The faulty 4-way splitter was replaced. The WD expander was also disconnected from power source, powered up, connected to Tivo dvr, followed by the powering up the Tivo dvr. The expander is particular about how it is turned on.

The Tivo dvr was working fine and now it's in looping hell. Do you think it could be using a 4-way splitter rather than having 2 separate wall outlets and using 2-way splitters? Maybe the cable signal is weak and interrupts data download. I'm grabbing at straws.

Should I disconnect the cables from 4-way splitter to TW dvr, TW phone modem and Time Capsule, and only connect cables to Tivo dvr and TW router? If I disconnect expander from dvr it will loose all pre-recorded shows.

Is there any way to see the season passes & download the content before doing a drastic Kick Start?

Thanks

This is the most current thread on Error mssg S03
tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/archive/index.php/t-490576
DilRmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:26 PM   #2
unitron

You might find this of interest:

How to: Remove the S03 Error from your Tivo

http://texasblindjack.com/2010/10/20...rom-your-tivo/
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:00 PM   #3
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by DilRmz View Post
The only help that I have found in this forum so far is to do a Kick Start. However that will loose all of the Season Passes and old recordings.
Usually the need for a kickstart is to check the hard drive for problems, which won't lose any of your SPs or recordings.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:12 PM   #4
unitron

If you're going to check the drive for physical problems, pull it and run the manufacturer's long test.

Use KS 57 or 58 if you think the problem is the software on an otherwise good drive.

And one should probably just go ahead and assume power supply problems and replace the one or two capacitors across the +5V output and the one or two across the +12V output just on GP and be done with it, and then proceed with the rest of the diagnosis.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:34 PM   #5
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

If all else fails, you can get just re-image the drive if it tests good. You will lose your recordings but it's better than what you have now. I got an S2 off of eBay that had that problem and the usual methods did not work. Tested the drive and then re-imaged. No problems since.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:00 PM   #6
DilRmz

thanks for the ideas

How do you re-image a drive? A friend did that on my old laptop once and got everything on a new one. But I don't know how to do it. It doing a re-image preferable to a full reset?

Unitron, I have no idea how to replace capacitors across the +5V. I looked up a diagram and felt like a had a hangover. You guys are all far more savvy than I about such things. But I feel determined to make this work.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:31 PM   #7
unitron

Quote:
How do you re-image a drive? A friend did that on my old laptop once and got everything on a new one. But I don't know how to do it. It doing a re-image preferable to a full reset?

Unitron, I have no idea how to replace capacitors across the +5V. I looked up a diagram and felt like a had a hangover. You guys are all far more savvy than I about such things. But I feel determined to make this work.
As far as I know, there are no diagrams of TiVo power supplies out anywhere where the public can get a look at them.

A re-image, as is being discussed here, means you'd lose everything, including recordings. So let's make that the very last resort.

You need to learn the difference between KickStart proceedures and the various clear and delete options available in the menus after a successful boot.

I can't blame anyone for leaving Time-Warner if they have an alternative.

When you switched to Uverse I assume you turned in your old M type cable card to Time Warner?

Did you install a different cable card from Uverse, or can you even use a TiVo with them?

What kind of computer(s) do you have?

If brand name (Dell, Compaq, HP, eMachines, etc.), what model number.

If not, what brand and model number motherboard?

The communication between the TiVo and TiVo, Inc's servers usually has nothing to do directly with the co-ax. Of course if you're using a cable modem it goes through that along with all the rest of your internet activity, but a faulty splitter has no idea what device on the network is connecting to which website, so said faulty splitter would either mess up all of your "interneting", or wouldn't, and might interfere with the TiVo being able to actually tune in cable channels, but that's not the same as getting the listing info for those channels.

When you went back to TWC, did you get a new cable card from them?

Did you get it paired with the TiVo properly before getting stuck in GS?

You are stuck in GS, right? When you plug it in and it boots up it goes right to GS, right?

You can run KS 58 and it won't erase your shows or season passes or any other settings.

It also, as far as I know, won't get you out of GS, but it might straighten out some corruption of the TiVo software on the hard drive if the hard drive itself has no problems.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:52 PM   #8
DilRmz

Unitron, thank you for your help. I googled "capacitors +5V" and found various confussing diagrams.

I would definitely like the re-image to be the last resort.

The problem occurred when I replaced old TW cable card with the new one. The card was paired properly, verified by TiVo tech & TW tech. But when my TiVo was disconnected from service I could still watch old content (connected dir to tv with HDMI) up to the day I installed new TW cable card and paired it. The problems all started when TiVo could not connect to service b/c the internet were intermittent working. TiVo dvr had one successful call to TiVo service after updating network. Then it got stuck in GS at last phase and never worked again.

The faulty splitter and internet problems may not be the problem b/c GS failed even with a phone line. I rcvd the error mssg "phone call interupted" when using direct phone line. I don't recall ever updating software before the problems started.

Do you know why there is no option to leave GS? It seemed that you could do a lot more trouble-shooting if you could return to TiVo central. You could view your SP, backup old content, check settings, etc. I think it is a big flaw in the dvr to have no way out of GS. I use Elgato to save content on my computer HD that I want to keep. If I had any clue that the GS would be the Achilles’ heel I would have saved old content and saved list of SP.

I use a MacBook Pro OSX. I hated the Uverse service b/c it wasn't compatible w/ TiVo and the internet was snail-paced. I have been a TiVo subscriber since the 1st year the service was avaible. Every other dvr sucks when you are used to TiVo. I think that TW is the only option in my area to use TiVo. I haven't looked into D-TV, but prefer never to go to them.

Yep, I'm stuck in GS. I read all of the forums I could find on the S03 but the drastic measure of replacing dvr or re-imaging was usually the answer. I can't figure out how to KS 57 or KS 58 when stuck in GS.

This guy writes about the best rec sequence of KSs:
brainchamber.com/wordpress/?p=620

Last edited by DilRmz : 11-12-2012 at 01:02 PM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 11-12-2012, 02:02 PM   #9
unitron

Quote:
Unitron, thank you for your help. I googled "capacitors +5V" and found various confussing diagrams.

I would definitely like the re-image to be the last resort.

The problem occurred when I replaced old TW cable card with the new one. The card was paired properly, verified by TiVo tech & TW tech. But when my TiVo was disconnected from service I could still watch old content (connected dir to tv with HDMI) up to the day I installed new TW cable card and paired it. The problems all started when TiVo could not connect to service b/c the internet were intermittent working. TiVo dvr had one successful call to TiVo service after updating network. Then it got stuck in GS at last phase and never worked again.

The faulty splitter and internet problems may not be the problem b/c GS failed even with a phone line. I rcvd the error mssg "phone call interupted" when using direct phone line. I don't recall ever updating software before the problems started.

Do you know why there is no option to leave GS? It seemed that you could do a lot more trouble-shooting if you could return to TiVo central. You could view your SP, backup old content, check settings, etc. I think it is a big flaw in the dvr to have no way out of GS. I use Elgato to save content on my computer HD that I want to keep. If I had any clue that the GS would be the Achilles’ heel I would have saved old content and saved list of SP.

I use a MacBook Pro OSX. I hated the Uverse service b/c it wasn't compatible w/ TiVo and the internet was snail-paced. I have been a TiVo subscriber since the 1st year the service was avaible. Every other dvr sucks when you are used to TiVo. I think that TW is the only option in my area to use TiVo. I haven't looked into D-TV, but prefer never to go to them.

Yep, I'm stuck in GS. I read all of the forums I could find on the S03 but the drastic measure of replacing dvr or re-imaging was usually the answer. I can't figure out how to KS 57 or KS 58 when stuck in GS.

This guy writes about the best rec sequence of KSs:
brainchamber.com/wordpress/?p=620
Interesting find on brainchamber, thanks.

I just answered your KS question in the other thread to which you posted your problem:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=495926

In future, try to figure out the best single place first, even if it means starting a new thread in the appropriate forum. Less confusion.

Here's the classic S03 remedy:

http://texasblindjack.com/2010/10/20...rom-your-tivo/
Old 11-12-2012, 05:21 PM   #10
DilRmz

KS 57 or KS 58

@Unitron, thank you for the KS instructions in tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=495849

[Here's the classic S03 remedy:

texasblindjack.com/2010/10/20/how-to-remove-the-s03-error-from-your-tivo[/quote]

I have avoided doing a KS b/c I want know more about it and do the least invasive KS first. For example, you should cover the front of your Tivo with foil to block other remote signals. I'll prob watch reg tv while KS is processing and any remote signals can conflict with the KS.

The texasblindjack method deletes all SP and To Do. I have no To Do list b/c Tivo was disconnected for a few months. I am hoping to do a 'simple defrag' to clean up the data issue while keeping the SP & programing. Most ppl in the forums & Tivo tech support suggest drastic measures. I am hoping there are progressive methods to keep the Tivo intact. If one thing does not work I'll move on to the next thing. There have been many ppl in this situation and it's disappointing that they get the Gordian Knot advice. Tivo tech said "it's time to buy a new dvr -we have sales running," and when I mentioned the KS they put me on hold for several min to figure out how to do it. They said that all data would be lost b/c it's a full system re-set. The Tivo tech did not know about different KS codes. This forum is extremely helpful to problem-solve.

Unitron, what do you think about starting with KS 57 first to try and keep programming rather than doing KS 58? I still do not know what each KS code does. Most of what I have learned about this is from you.

brainchamber.com reccomends the following sequence (though I'm not sure why):
KS 57
KS 54
KS 58
KS 52

I'm being careful with my first KS b/c it's irriversable. Thank you again for your feedback.

Last edited by DilRmz : 11-12-2012 at 05:26 PM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 11-12-2012, 06:12 PM   #11
poppagene
User

Thanks to weaknees:

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-kickstart-codes.php

52 Emergency Software Reinstall
This attempts to reinstall the last version of the TiVo OS on the unit.
54 Hard Drive Test
This code allows a SMART test of the hard drive(s). Most recent hard drives support this series of tests.
57 Media File System (MFS) check
Causes a GSOD (green screen of death) to appear while it checks and attempts to repair any file system problems.
58 Media File System (MFS) cleanup
Same behavior as 57, presumably with rudimentary defragmentation.
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:32 PM   #12
unitron

Quote:
@Unitron, thank you for the KS instructions in tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=495849

Quote:
Here's the classic S03 remedy:

texasblindjack.com/2010/10/20/how-to-remove-the-s03-error-from-your-tivo
I have avoided doing a KS b/c I want know more about it and do the least invasive KS first. For example, you should cover the front of your Tivo with foil to block other remote signals. I'll prob watch reg tv while KS is processing and any remote signals can conflict with the KS.

The texasblindjack method deletes all SP and To Do. I have no To Do list b/c Tivo was disconnected for a few months. I am hoping to do a 'simple defrag' to clean up the data issue while keeping the SP & programing. Most ppl in the forums & Tivo tech support suggest drastic measures. I am hoping there are progressive methods to keep the Tivo intact. If one thing does not work I'll move on to the next thing. There have been many ppl in this situation and it's disappointing that they get the Gordian Knot advice. Tivo tech said "it's time to buy a new dvr -we have sales running," and when I mentioned the KS they put me on hold for several min to figure out how to do it. They said that all data would be lost b/c it's a full system re-set. The Tivo tech did not know about different KS codes. This forum is extremely helpful to problem-solve.

Unitron, what do you think about starting with KS 57 first to try and keep programming rather than doing KS 58? I still do not know what each KS code does. Most of what I have learned about this is from you.

brainchamber.com reccomends the following sequence (though I'm not sure why):
KS 57
KS 54
KS 58
KS 52

I'm being careful with my first KS b/c it's irriversable. Thank you again for your feedback.
Kickstarts don't erase programming or channel listings or season passes or any of that stuff.

To do that stuff you have to get far enough into booting to get to the messages and settings menu and get to the submenu where you can select 2 or 3 different flavors of clear and delete.

Kickstarts are invoked before a full boot to the menu or GS screen.

If you're going to do 57 you might as well do 58, which, as I understand it, incorporates 57.

54 does hard drive tests, but I don't think it can actually fix anything, just tell you if it finds something wrong.

If you're going to do 54, you might as well pop the top, pull the drive, hook it to a PC, and run the manufacturer's diagnostics from a bootable cd.

(I figure Western Digital knows WD drives better than does TiVo and Seagate knows Seagate drives better than does TiVo.)

Unless you have a GigaByte brand motherboard, in which case we need to take certain precautions.

TiVos either boot from partitions 2,3, and 4, or from 5, 6, and 7.

The set not in use gets the latest version of the software loaded onto it when/if they release an updated version (11k is probably the last one the S3s will ever see) and the bootpage is re-written to switch to that set at next reboot.

I think 52 is supposed to force the swap, or the swap back, depending, so if it swapped to the alternate set and something was screwed up, going back to the set that worked last may help.

WinMFS has a utility called fix boot or something like that with 2 options.

Option 1 sets the bootpage to call partitions 2, 3, and 4, regardless of whether it was already set that way or not, and Option 2 sets it to 5,6, and 7 regardless of where it is now, so it's an alternative to running 52.

And WinMFS's mfsinfo will tell you to which it's currently set.

(Note to Premiere owners, this advice is not for you, you'll just break it)

While you've got the top off of an S2 or S3 you might as well check the power supply for capacitor plague and correct output voltages.