TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-08-2012, 12:22 AM   #1
Greg_R

Boot bug with latest update

My series 3 rebooted, started playing the THX animation and promptly died. If I click the Tivo button right at the beginning of the THX animation it will bring me to the Tivo menu for a few seconds but then it will reboot. Reading some other threads, it seems like the latest SW update has wreaked havoc. Are there any known fixes for this problem? Any recommended kickstarter codes?

The unit has had a new HDD & repaired PSU for 3 months now with zero problems. All SMART tests pass.

My Series HD is having the exact same issue and it started at exactly the same time (dies a few seconds into the dancing Tivo movie). It has no modifications.

I rebooted both because Netflix streaming was flaky (most programs refused to stream).

Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks!

Greg
Greg_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:11 AM   #2
steve614
what ru lookin at?

One thing's for sure... The Series 3 platform Tivos haven't had a software update in a very long time so I doubt that is your problem.

You should first try doing a kickstart 54 and then maybe a 57 or 58.
http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-kickstart-codes.php

If those tests pass, and the Tivo continues to reboot on its own, then you will probably have to pull the hard drive and run the manufacturer's diagnostics on it on a computer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:47 AM   #3
moyekj

I would suggest you reboot with the cable RF input disconnected from 1 of your TiVos and see if you can stop the reboot loop that way. If that works then set both tuners on different channels than they are currently on and then reconnect the cable input to see what happens.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:16 AM   #4
HomeUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_R View Post
I rebooted both because Netflix streaming was flaky (most programs refused to stream).

Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks!

Greg
If it is not the toxic channel moyekj suggested then try unplugging the network cable/adapter see if that stops the reboot cycle.

Another thought... Are both DVR's powered from the same outlet? I once had a bad power strip causing random reboots.

Last edited by HomeUser : 07-08-2012 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Another thought
HomeUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 03:04 PM   #5
Greg_R

1 other data point: I'm only using the Tivo for OTA broadcasts... no cable cards/tuners. I'll try the suggestions above and report back, thanks!
Old 07-13-2012, 10:41 PM   #6
Greg_R

Well, I've done all the disk scans and everything reports no_error. I was briefly excited thinking my new WD drive had a WDIDLE issue but that feature is turned off on the WD20EURS (Western Digital AV-GP series of drives). I'm reinstalling an image to see if that fixes the problem.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:03 PM   #7
jrtroo
User

Which disk scans have you done? Are you talking about the kickstarts or the disk mfrs testing tools?
Old 09-02-2012, 11:54 AM   #8
Greg_R

I'm bumping my thread because I'm having the problem again. I get to the THX screen and the system reboots. Flaky behavior always manifests itself with an inability to load the Netflix menu. Rebooting at that point causes the loop. Details:

1) PSU upgraded with new caps
2) HDD is < 1 yr old and passes all WD & Tivo drive health tests. wdidle is off on this AV drive.
3) OTA broadcast via antenna only; no cable card or cable input
4) Unplugging the network cable makes no difference

I have an image that I can load onto my HDD and this fixes the problem for a few months. Of course I lose all my recordings.

Are there any other things I can try before scrapping the unit? I have lifetime on this Tivo, hence the effort to keep it alive.

Thanks!

Greg
Old 09-02-2012, 01:26 PM   #9
worachj

Is the image you're using from the original hard drive? The original image can only be expanded to a larger drive one time. You can not use the image of an expanded drive to make a larger drive. You always need to use the original image.

I had a similar problem when I expanded my original 160g hard drive onto a 250g drive and then I used that 250g drive to create a image on a 500g drive. Can't do it. Need to use the original image.
worachj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 01:31 PM   #10
Greg_R

The image I used was from this website and I installed it using MFSTools. This was my first HDD upgrade -but- I'm not sure about the history of the borrowed image.
Old 09-02-2012, 01:50 PM   #11
worachj

If you got the image from this website it's most likely from an original drive. It sounds like something is corrupting your image. You may need to retrace your upgrade steps to see if you can find a problem.
worachj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:49 PM   #12
Greg_R

I reimaged my drive again (using a new copy of the image from this site). I'm using the windows version of MFSTools to transfer the image + expand the drive. I've done this twice before (this is my 3rd time) and each time the Tivo works for a few months before Netflix dies.

If this image doesn't work, are there any other steps I can take or is the unit scrap?
Old 09-03-2012, 11:37 PM   #13
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_R View Post
I reimaged my drive again (using a new copy of the image from this site). I'm using the windows version of MFSTools to transfer the image + expand the drive. I've done this twice before (this is my 3rd time) and each time the Tivo works for a few months before Netflix dies.

If this image doesn't work, are there any other steps I can take or is the unit scrap?
Make a note of what version of the TiVo software the unit is running now.

It's on the sys info page.

Restore from a truncated image onto any ol' hard drive that will work and see what version of the software it reports being.

It's unlikely you're downloading something bad from the mothership, but it ain't impossible.

Especially if it's cached locally on a server near you so that you're one of the few users exposed to it.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:46 AM   #14
Greg_R

OK. I'll make a note of the SW version once I get the unit running again on an image.