TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-21-2013, 12:39 PM   #1
drebbe
Carbon Blob

How will the market for used Premieres evolve?

I'm fairly new to TiVo. I purchased my first TiVo just last June so I have never observed first hand a TiVo hardware upgrade cycle. For those of you have seen previous hardware refreshes can you offer some guesses on how the market for used TiVo Premieres might evolve?

I expect a flood of used Premieres with lifetime to hit the market in the next few months and prices to trend downward. After the early adopters have all migrated to Roamio do prices stabilize or continue a steady march lower?

Last edited by drebbe : 08-21-2013 at 02:31 PM.
drebbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:33 AM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by drebbe View Post
I'm fairly new to TiVo. I purchased my first TiVo just last June so I have never observed first hand a TiVo hardware upgrade cycle. For those of you have seen previous hardware refreshes can you offer some guesses on how the market for used TiVo Premieres might evolve?

I expect a flood of used Premieres with lifetime to hit the market in the next few months and prices to trend downward. After the early adopters have all migrated to Roamio do prices stabilize or continue a steady march lower?
How big that flood of PLS'ed S4s, versus just S4s, is will depend on whether TiVo can be talked into doing the $99 lifetime on the old unit when you buy a new one routine they way they've been doing on S3s for S4 buyers.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:39 AM   #3
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
How big that flood of PLS'ed S4s, versus just S4s, is will depend on whether TiVo can be talked into doing the $99 lifetime on the old unit when you buy a new one routine they way they've been doing on S3s for S4 buyers.
I wish they would do that. I would love to switch my $6.95 a month OTA Premiere to lifetime for only $99.
If they do start doing this I'm sure it will be after I pick up my Roamio.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:41 AM   #4
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I wish they would do that. I would love to switch my $6.95 a month OTA Premiere to lifetime for only $99.
If they do start doing this I'm sure it will be after I pick up my Roamio.
Actually, they're waiting until you do so just to make sure you don't get the deal.

Old 08-23-2013, 04:26 PM   #5
NoVa

Quote:
Originally Posted by drebbe View Post

Granted there are a lot of factors in determining the market price but I really think that - assuming we are talking about P4/4XL - you can bet the attractiveness of a whole home solution working with the Mini & potentially adding Dynamic Tuner Allocation & External Streaming updates as soon as the next couple of weeks, the shortcomings of - not being able to upgrade the apps from 3rd Party Streamers like Netflix/Amazon/YouTube & menu speeds - can be mitigated.

I really have to believe that the shortcomings aren't deal killers & that getting a whole home solution is what most people will pay for.

PS:
I recently:
1) Sold Premiere 2-tuner 2TB with no lifetime for: $85 bought for $220
2) Sold S2 40 hours with Lifetime for: $82 - bought for $299
3) Bought a P4 with Lifetime for: $540

Residuals are:
39% & 27% respectively for #1 & 2.
I'm betting a $350-400 for my P4 if I sell it.
NoVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:45 PM   #6
waterchange

Seeing as how lifetime Tivo HD units are selling for $250-$350 on ebay (with lots in the $300+ range), hard to imagine the value of lifetime Premiere's falling through the floor anytime soon.

If you're considering selling, I'd do it now though. Even though we're soaking in all of the Roamio news here, it's still new and I'm sure a lot of folks haven't paid attention to it (i.e. my other family members likely have no clue a new Tivo is out). I sold one of my three my lifetime 2-tuner Premiere for $375 on Craigslist this Sunday (avoiding ebay fees & shipping hassles) in anticipation of this new box. It was a $65 box + $399 lifetime from Woot so I got 80% return in the ~2 years I had this one unit.
waterchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 04:45 PM   #7
MeInDallas

Prices for used Premiere boxes with no subscription on Ebay have gone down to nearly nothing the past few days. I've been watching and a lot of them have went for as little as $22.50 + shipping. Lifetime boxes have held steady so far between $350 - $450 depending on whats offered with the box (wireless adapter & dvr expander etc, free shipping). I have seen a lot of people mention in their auctions that the reason they are selling is that they have upgraded to the Roamio boxes.
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:09 PM   #8
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa View Post
Granted there are a lot of factors in determining the market price but I really think that - assuming we are talking about P4/4XL - you can bet the attractiveness of a whole home solution working with the Mini & potentially adding Dynamic Tuner Allocation & External Streaming updates as soon as the next couple of weeks, the shortcomings of - not being able to upgrade the apps from 3rd Party Streamers like Netflix/Amazon/YouTube & menu speeds - can be mitigated.

I really have to believe that the shortcomings aren't deal killers & that getting a whole home solution is what most people will pay for.

PS:
I recently:
1) Sold Premiere 2-tuner 2TB with no lifetime for: $85 bought for $220
2) Sold S2 40 hours with Lifetime for: $82 - bought for $299
3) Bought a P4 with Lifetime for: $540

Residuals are:
39% & 27% respectively for #1 & 2.
I'm betting a $350-400 for my P4 if I sell it.
You paid $299 for an S2 and that included the cost of PLS?

And it looks like you sold a 2TB drive for $85 bucks with a free 2 tuner Premiere carrying case.