TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-08-2012, 11:45 PM   #1
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

Curiosity on Discovery and related channels - all eps, all seasons

Here's a thread to discuss http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curiosity_%28TV_series%29. I'd actually not paid any attention to the series until I saw the ep for the plane crash ep (http://corporate.discovery.com/disco...oes-board-big/). I've recorded that one and only watched the first 20 minutes or so.

Discuss.
cwerdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:47 AM   #2
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Plane Crash:

For as much planning as they said went into it (supposedly years of planning), and how tight the timing had to be, there were some really stupid decisions. For instance, once they found that they needed a turbo-prop like the Marchetti, they didn't go and find a backup turbo-prop plane, or... you know... a full set of spare parts for the Marchetti?

And really, the little RF transmitter in the handheld remote control - there wasn't anything with a longer range that they could have sourced? Also, they couldn't have removed the little antenna on the control and wired it into a larger externally mounted antenna they could attach external to the chase plane?

And really, with as good as computer-based physics modeling, I wonder how much novel data they were really able to gather with this stunt. I would imagine that you could virtually model a crash and get virtually the same data.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:10 PM   #3
taronga

Does anyone's Tivo actually call this show "Curiosity"? Mine just says "Plane Crash".
taronga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:10 AM   #4
Worf

In Canada, Discovery Canada properly shows it as Curiosity, episode title "Plane Crash".

Heck, I put a Season Pass on it and it gets it all for me.

Probably because Discovery Canada and Discovery Channel are related channels, but don't show the same programming or even share the same air dates, so whoever does the Discovery Canada guides gets nicely listed data.
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:24 AM   #5
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by taronga View Post
Does anyone's Tivo actually call this show "Curiosity"? Mine just says "Plane Crash".
When I recorded the ep, it came up as an ep of Curiosity. Currently, it shows no upcoming eps of Curiosity involving any plane crash.

When I do a search by title, I see what you're talking about. There are a whole bunch of upcoming eps of the show titled "Plane Crash". They all appear to be reruns of the Curiosity Plane Crash ep.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:04 AM   #6
RonDawg

As far as previous remote-controlled plane crash experiments, they talk about the failed one from the 60s? that you often see (including as the "in-flight entertainment" in the movie Airplane). The show kept saying it was the only test of its kind before this one.

But wasn't there a more recent government remote-controlled-crash test of a full size passenger jet, perhaps from the 1990s? IIRC that too didn't go as planned and they didn't get as much useful data as they would have liked.

Or was the footage they showed from the more recent test?
RonDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:41 AM   #7
JMikeD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonDawg View Post
But wasn't there a more recent government remote-controlled-crash test of a full size passenger jet, perhaps from the 1990s? IIRC that too didn't go as planned and they didn't get as much useful data as they would have liked.
As I recall, there was a remote-controlled crash of an airliner (by NASA?) quite a while ago to test a fuel formulation that was designed to not combust on a crash. It failed.

Mike
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:51 AM   #8
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMikeD View Post
As I recall, there was a remote-controlled crash of an airliner (by NASA?) quite a while ago to test a fuel formulation that was designed to not combust on a crash. It failed.

Mike
I think that was the footage they used. If memory serves, they specifically talked about the crash they were showing being designed to shear off the engines, and the crash failed and that didn't happen.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:57 PM   #9
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMikeD View Post

Mike
I think you're referring to the 1984 crash test (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control..._Demonstration) that was mentioned in the ep.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:58 AM   #10
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

I've finished watching it. It was pretty decent and well put together and edited.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
Plane Crash:

For as much planning as they said went into it (supposedly years of planning), and how tight the timing had to be, there were some really stupid decisions. For instance, once they found that they needed a turbo-prop like the Marchetti, they didn't go and find a backup turbo-prop plane, or... you know... a full set of spare parts for the Marchetti?

And really, the little RF transmitter in the handheld remote control - there wasn't anything with a longer range that they could have sourced? Also, they couldn't have removed the little antenna on the control and wired it into a larger externally mounted antenna they could attach external to the chase plane?
Yeah, I also wondered about some of the other planes that I saw and what appeared to be chase planes getting footage from different angles. Were those the same speed or slower than the Cessna? I wonder why they didn't pick a faster plane to begin with.

Ditto about the remote. One would think they could've modified to transmit at a higher wattage or something.

I was surprised to see an engine running at full throttle afterward. Good job on there not being a fire afterward.

I had no idea the other landing gears were designed to break off.