TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-15-2013, 09:43 AM   #61
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Although in drama, a prologue is attached to the story, and isn't optional...
Old 05-15-2013, 12:54 PM   #62
BitbyBlit

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
In drama, a prologue can also be a monologue told by an omniscient narrator who basically sets the scene for the story, which is the framework that this video takes.
Good point. I hadn't thought about the omniscient narrator when thinking about prologues. However, I agree with Rob that even that kind of prologue is still attached to the story, even if it is not a part of it.

This prelude, because it involves the characters themselves as the narrators walking through a scene that if a part of the story would have been a dreamlike sequence seems to be operating at a more meta level than even an omniscient narrator.

The characters are talking to the audience while standing next to inanimate versions of their counterparts. And both went through the exact same sequence, each disconnected from the other. So it seems more like the bit is meant to pique people's interest in the story more so than introduce it or provide a backstory to it.

In thinking about prologues more, I do see that they don't necessarily take place before the main events of a story, however. For example, stories that start out with some pivotal event taking place, and then flashing back to some time before to show the events leading up to the pivotal one have prologues that take place later. And also stories that start out with some person remembering past events, and then the main story is those past events are the same way.

Either way, at least we can all agree that prequel is wrong!
Old 05-15-2013, 01:07 PM   #63
Dawghows

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
Kids never do anything stupid?

Not that I'm fond of this particular instance, but in my experience kids frequently do stupid things (some kids more than others).
I'm tired of this trope, too, but it's not as stupid as someone reputedly as smart as The Doctor leaving a couple kids in a strange room, on the premises of an abandoned amusement park, and telling the kids, "be good and don't leave this room with the two Cybermen in it, while I go out and try to figure out this mysterious trouble that's brewing, possibly involving Cybermen."
Dawghows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:07 PM   #64
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitbyBlit View Post
Either way, at least we can all agree that prequel is wrong!
Well, actually I disagree...

A prequel is a story set before an existing story. And these little bits seem to be made long after production on the actual episodes has been wrapped. (I haven't seen this one, so it might be different than the other ones I've seen.)

So technically, the ones of these that I've seen ARE prequels.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:12 PM   #65
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post

A prequel is a story set before an existing story. And these little bits seem to be made long after production on the actual episodes has been wrapped. (I haven't seen this one, so it might be different than the other ones I've seen.)

A prequel is, as Wictionary defines it, "an installment that is set chronologically before its predecessor."

Because we haven't had the actual story yet, we can't have a prequel to it.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:19 PM   #66
pgogborn

Wibbly-Wobbly, Timey-Wimey
pgogborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:44 PM   #67
JohnB1000

Quote:
And these little bits seem to be made long after production on the actual episodes has been wrapped. .
Did you just make that up ?
Old 05-17-2013, 11:49 AM   #68
DianaMo
Cubs fan

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 21088_546996505339848_241374431_n.jpg (60.5 KB, 167 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Share an online coupon here

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DianaMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:58 AM   #69
jehma

The episode was ok, but nowhere near as good as Gaiman's previous ep.
jehma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:50 PM   #70
DianaMo
Cubs fan

Lightbulb

Attached Images
File Type: jpg nameofthedoctor.jpg (67.6 KB, 113 views)

Share an online coupon here

DianaMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:44 PM   #71
BitbyBlit

Quote:

To me, a prequel is a story of the same scope as its predecessor. In other words, if B is a prequel to A, then A would have been a sequel to B had things been reversed.

Since I wouldn't consider the episodes to be sequels of the webisodes, I don't consider the webisodes to be prequels either.

In this particular case, I don't think the bit falls even under a looser definition of "prequel" than mine. And ironically, it was the one Moffat decided to title "A Prequel".