TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-27-2014, 12:43 PM   #61
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Come on guys, agree to disagree and walk away.

Its apparent that you each hold different views and I doubt no one is going to change the other's mind on this whole HD/SD "discussion".
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:44 PM   #62
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
Yes, I actually do. There was a transition period a few years back here too, and yeah, the SDTV looked horrible with content that was produced in an HD world for an audience using HDTVs. Now my parents have two HDTVs and my roommates and I have 4 HDTVs (two small and two big).
So your claim now is that the difference in horribleness between watching in SD shows produced 10 -30 years ago and watching in SD shows produced now, is enough to take all the enjoyment out of watching modern shows but not the old shows (since there obviously was lot of enjoyment people got watching SD 10 years ago)?

Quite frankly, I don't believe you. I could tell no real difference between the two on my SD setup; they both looked poor. I don't know what kind of physical setup you had that made such a tremendous difference in horribleness; it must have been pretty strange.

People get enjoyment out of different things. You have no business telling folks that their choice is wrong, unless you know precisely what they actually value (and here, they obviously don't value video quality highly).
Old 07-27-2014, 04:07 PM   #63
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
So now your calling my son and his wife pathetic for recording in SD when they could record in HD, I can't find the words to insult you that I can put into this Forum, you would think my kids were hurting you or hurting someone. What resolution they want to watch in their home on their TV is NOT your business to criticize. (unless you are a guest in their home, and that would never be)
You are one arrogant SOB, and a tech snob
I also complemented your TiVo setup and called it a "bottomless pit".

I'm not a snob, I just have standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
So your claim now is that the difference in horribleness between watching in SD shows produced 10 -30 years ago and watching in SD shows produced now, is enough to take all the enjoyment out of watching modern shows but not the old shows (since there obviously was lot of enjoyment people got watching SD 10 years ago)?
Shows produced for HD viewing on an HDTV in an HD world look like crap in SD.

Quote:
People get enjoyment out of different things. You have no business telling folks that their choice is wrong, unless you know precisely what they actually value (and here, they obviously don't value video quality highly).
Some people may not value watching TV. If they don't, then maybe once of the government-coupon converter boxes hooked up to an old analog TV and an antenna is enough for once in a blue moon viewing. That's fine. But if someone values TV enough to pay for cable, then they should do it right and view it in HD. It's not about valuing or not valuing, it's about half-assing things.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 04:12 PM   #64
DancyMunchkin

Quote:
Because HD is standard now.
Bigg's isn't worth the trouble.

Last edited by DancyMunchkin : 07-27-2014 at 06:20 PM.
DancyMunchkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 05:22 PM   #65
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Shows produced for HD viewing on an HDTV in an HD world look like crap in SD.
I didn't expect you to have any other opinion. But I didn't ask that and you know I didn't ask that. You're ducking the question.

i asked are the new shows were sufficiently worse than the old shows in SD to make the old shows worth watching and the new shows not worth watching?

We have 5 TVs in the house, and only gradually moved to HD (2 TVs were SD, one with a TiVo Series 2 attached, as of a year and a half ago). Absolutely, shows were better in HD. But that doesn't mean that we didn't enjoy the shows in SD. I care more about HD than my wife - the most used TV was the Series 2 TiVo connected SD set in her sewing room. We've watched a lot of SD shows (both new and old, without a major difference between them), and they can still be enjoyed, contrary to what you seem to be claiming.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:02 PM   #66
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
I didn't expect you to have any other opinion. But I didn't ask that and you know I didn't ask that. You're ducking the question.

i asked are the new shows were sufficiently worse than the old shows in SD to make the old shows worth watching and the new shows not worth watching?
Yes. Shows produced for a 480i format look much better in 480i than shows produced for 1080i or 720p or 1080p and shown in 480i. Also, the SD channels are compressed to heck now that the cable cos are trying to make room for HD, HSI, VoIP, VOD, security, etc.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote