TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-14-2013, 12:24 PM   #31
EvilMidniteBombr
what bomz at midnite

Just to see if it would work. I tried the Fix Bootpage Option 1. Still had the same problems. Tried Fix Bootpage Option 2 with same results.

Next, I had winMFS reformat the 2TB drive. Then I tried copying the 500GB drive to the 2TB drive with winMFS. Then I started the copy. 16 hours later, it was still not done and looked like there had been no progress for a long time. So I canceled the winMFS copy and rebooted into jmfs.

In jmfs the copy stopped with a message that "copy did not finish successfully" and gave me the option to retry, etc.

4 or 5 restarts later, the same error happened each time.

This leads me to believe that the new 2TB drive is bad. I think I'll return the drive to Amazon and have a replacement sent.

9/11/01... Never Forget.
EvilMidniteBombr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:14 PM   #32
EvilMidniteBombr
what bomz at midnite

received the replacement drive today. I think I'll copy the 500GB drive into this new 2TB drive first. Then, if that goes well, I'll probably try copying the 1TB drive onto the new drive. Overwriting the 500GB data.

any thoughts? warnings?

9/11/01... Never Forget.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:24 PM   #33
Soapm

I didn't read the whole thread so if this has been suggested then I apologize, you should have the previous OS on the other set of partitions. If you switch your bootpage back to those partitions you should be able to boot into that (the previous) OS. Tivo will then connect to the mothership and upgrade itself I believe after the 3rd connection.
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:39 PM   #34
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMidniteBombr View Post
received the replacement drive today. I think I'll copy the 500GB drive into this new 2TB drive first. Then, if that goes well, I'll probably try copying the 1TB drive onto the new drive. Overwriting the 500GB data.

any thoughts? warnings?
Do the copy, don't expand, try the 500 on the 2 in the TiVo, if that works okay copy the 1TB to the 2, overwriting (as long as you don't write to the 500 you can use it as a source again if necessary), try the 1 on the 2, if that works okay, then the previous 2 might have been bad.

If that doesn't work, then there's something screwed up on the 1TB that's getting copied over.

If so, you could try KS 58 on the 1 on the 2 and see if it can heal itself, since the hardware the software is on is presumed good.

If that doesn't work we can try a tricky procedure where we create an HPA on the 2, making appear to be a 1, then expand to create something with the same partition map (same size partitions in the same relative place) as the 1TB, and copy just the partitions from the 1 that have the shows over to the 2.

Then if that works we undo the HPA and expand into the rest of the 2

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:06 PM   #35
EvilMidniteBombr
what bomz at midnite

I used jmfs to copy the 500GB to the 2TB and expand it. (sorry, unitron. I didn't read your post before I ran the copy). Everything worked fine and I have 318 hours of record time on the new 2TB drive. I re-installed it and it seems to be running fine.

I will try to copy the 1TB to the 2TB this evening and let it run overnight. Hopefully it will go well and I'll be able to preserve the recordings, season passes and AWRLs on the 1TB drive.

If not, I may just have to get over it and consider them lost.

9/11/01... Never Forget.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:27 PM   #36
EvilMidniteBombr
what bomz at midnite

I copied the 1TB drive onto the new drive. jmfs reported 18 errors with and error size of 77824 bytes. so far it seems to have been a successful copy. it booted up in about 5 minutes or so. All my recordings appear to be where iI left them. :-) I've yet to try watching any of them.

It has been a couple of weeks since this (copy) drive was used so the guide data is old. That is updating now.

I'm going to let it run for a while (probably overnight and most of tomorrow) and then take it out and super size it with jmfs.

9/11/01... Never Forget.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:56 PM   #37
EvilMidniteBombr
what bomz at midnite

The new drive appeared to run all night. No scheduled recordings are missing or short.

I removed it and expanded the drive with jmfs. Reinstalled and checked the system info. 318 HD hours capacity. Everything seems to indicate that the copy from the old drive was a success.

Thanks to unitron and everyone else here that helped. You've been a great help.

Please don't unsubscribe from this thread. Knowing my luck... I'll be back.

9/11/01... Never Forget.