TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-13-2012, 07:52 AM   #91
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoEagles View Post
I'm kind of late to this discussion, but a 4 tuner OTA model doesn't quite make sense. True, there are 4 major networks, ABC, NBC, CBS, and Fox, but the way they schedule their line up I just can't see where someone would want to schedule something on every major network at the same exact time. S

ome stuff on the major networks and some stuff on cable, yes, but can anyone think of any time slot where there is something you want to watch at the same half hour or hour at the same time? I'd said say no.
I see several days a week where there would be multiple shows from Broadcast on at the same time that would want to be watched. This has always been the case. Which is why even twenty five years ago I had several VCRs recording content each night.

Although for me, with all the cable content, I need to pick and choose since I don't have the time to watch everything I would really like to watch. But if cable were not around there would be many times during the week where I would want to watch three or four shows from the major networks that are on at the same time.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:46 AM   #92
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I see several days a week where there would be multiple shows from Broadcast on at the same time that would want to be watched. This has always been the case. Which is why even twenty five years ago I had several VCRs recording content each night.

Although for me, with all the cable content, I need to pick and choose since I don't have the time to watch everything I would really like to watch. But if cable were not around there would be many times during the week where I would want to watch three or four shows from the major networks that are on at the same time.
I agree and can say as an OTA only user there are many times I am recording more than 2 shows at the same time, add in the shows that go over by 1 minute and I regularly need 4 tuners.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:59 PM   #93
steve614
what ru lookin at?

I agree that there isn't a market for TiVo to make a 4 tuner OTA DVR (yet).
I just don't think it would be hard for them to do so with the current platform. Of course I don't really know what would be involved - I'm thinking minor hardware/software tweaks.

I'm hoping the 'next' Tivo will be a six tuner OTA/cable workhorse.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:06 PM   #94
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
Well I didn't say it didn't make sense for the consumer (just that it wouldn't be as necessary/useful if conflict resolution were available). What makes sense for a consumer is an individual evaluation and will very greatly household to household.

Regarding your situation as a cable user how much more would you have been willing to pay to add OTA to TiVos current 4 tuner cable DVRs? $50? $100? or nothing?
Well, I currently have one TV (and at one point had *3* Tivos on that TV at once). Even when I have multiple TVs (after buying a house), I envision getting one of the forthcoming streamer boxes (I sure hope they DON'T have a subscription fee, or they can have a lifetime purchase which presumably would be MUCH lower than lifetime on a Tivo that records). Obviously, having everything in one box is bad when something goes wrong. But for recording, I really just want everything everywhere.

I probably would have paid $100-200 for 4-tuner OTA capability, even though I wouldn't likely use it much (like I don't on my Tivo HD). Better for future-proofing, and the ABILITY to cut the cord.

However, the 4 tuners in one box was definitely worth it for me to get a cable-cabled (heh) device.
mattack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:08 PM   #95
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
I agree that there isn't a market for TiVo to make a 4 tuner OTA DVR (yet).
I just don't think it would be hard for them to do so with the current platform. Of course I don't really know what would be involved - I'm thinking minor hardware/software tweaks.
Have you READ the other replies? There is apparently off the shelf hardware that does 4 (or was it 6) cable tuners in one chip. There AREN'T ones that do that for OTA. So the hardware would be much more complex/expensive.
mattack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:31 AM   #96
steve614
what ru lookin at?

It was my understanding that the current tuners in the 4 tuner Tivos "could" do OTA, but TiVo disabled the OTA part because it was an either/or situation (tuners can't do both cable and OTA at the same time).

Is this not the case?

F*CK CANCER!
Old 11-14-2012, 03:11 PM   #97
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
It was my understanding that the current tuners in the 4 tuner Tivos "could" do OTA, but TiVo disabled the OTA part because it was an either/or situation (tuners can't do both cable and OTA at the same time).

Is this not the case?
Nope. The platform TiVo uses only supports 4 tuners. In the 2 tuner model they have 2 QAM tuners and 2 ATSC tuners and the software dynamically switches between them depending on what needs to be recorded. In the 4 tuner model they simply filled all 4 slots with QAM tuners, so it has no ability to record ATSC at all.

What you might be confusing it with is the ability to record analog cable. The tuners in the 4 tuner boxes could tune analog stations. However the chipset only supports encoding 2 analog streams at a time. So rather then confuse users with some asymmetrical scheduling logic they simply disabled analog completely.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:47 PM   #98
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Thanks. For some reason, I was confusing Premiere 2 tuner hardware with the 4 tuner hardware. I was thinking TiVo just added 2 tuners to the existing platform to make the 4 tuner Elite/XL4.
My bad.

F*CK CANCER!