TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 54 votes, 4.65 average.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:27 PM   #481
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazelW View Post
A lot depends on your configuration. In my case the signal coming into the house is split; one side goes to an amplifier and then to a 7 way splitter to the TVs. The other side goes up to where the cable modem and router is. Putting a MOCA signal on the side to the cable modem will not go through the amplifier that feeds the tivo's. I had to use satellite diplexers. Would not be at all obvious for someone with no technical training.
That's a total kludge. That setup is correct, in that you have all the TVs downstream of the amp. In that case, the best thing to do would be ethernet or a wireless bridge to get internet on the MoCA side of things if you don't have a second coax line to the router/modem. Or just do the other acceptable way of doing things, and throw the modem behind the amp too.

It can be impossible if you rent, but if you own, get the drill out and run a few miles of wire.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 07:18 AM   #482
HazelW

My point was that it is not always a simple plug and play as was suggested. But it is a kludge.

But the wireless bridge sounds interesting. Would I use something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Univer...eless+n+bridge

and connect it to the Ethernet port on the roameo, then use MOCA between the roameo and the minis? I would not need a MOCA adapter at the modem anymore?

Last edited by HazelW : 10-25-2014 at 07:36 AM. Reason: added more info
HazelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 08:49 AM   #483
HazelW

Since the Roameo has built in WiFi, can I just use the WiFi to connect to my router, and let the Roameo set up a moca network between it and the minis?
HazelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 03:49 PM   #484
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Since the Roameo has built in WiFi, can I just use the WiFi to connect to my router, and let the Roameo set up a moca network between it and the minis?
No. The reason the external ethernet-to-WiFi bridge works, is because, to the TiVo, it appears to be a hardwired ethernet connection. The TiVo knows the internal wireless is what it is.
Old 10-25-2014, 10:54 PM   #485
Bigg

Quote:
My point was that it is not always a simple plug and play as was suggested. But it is a kludge.

But the wireless bridge sounds interesting. Would I use something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Univer...eless+n+bridge

and connect it to the Ethernet port on the roameo, then use MOCA between the roameo and the minis? I would not need a MOCA adapter at the modem anymore?
Basically. I'd go with something that's wireless AC dual-band capable, but that's the general idea. That would be a decent solution for situations where you can't just drill a hole in the wall and run CAT cable.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:28 PM   #486
DJQuad
Poker Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
It's just not that complicated! People shouldn't need a diagram in the first place. MoCA was made to be simple and just work. If you read up on how it works, you can figure out what will and won't work.
A lot of it is VERY confusing, which is why I made diagrams a few pages back. Some are more visual than you apparently are.
DJQuad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 10:56 AM   #487
Random User 7
Incognito

Anyone have experience with a DPH548 and a Mini? I have internet only service and the coax wiring in the house is not in use. I was thinking I could attach it to my existing coax as well as my router then the Mini right to the coax since it has MoCa adapter built in. Would this provide the functionality or would I have to buy two and use Ethernet out of the DPH548 to attach the Mini?
Random User 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 11:33 AM   #488
poppagene
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random User 7 View Post
Anyone have experience with a DPH548 and a Mini? I have internet only service and the coax wiring in the house is not in use. I was thinking I could attach it to my existing coax as well as my router then the Mini right to the coax since it has MoCa adapter built in. Would this provide the functionality or would I have to buy two and use Ethernet out of the DPH548 to attach the Mini?
It looks like the dph548 uses HPNA rather than MoCa and AFAIK the moca enabled mini doesn't work with an HPNA signal. As you suggest, 2 HPNA adapters would fix that issue.
poppagene is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 11:36 AM   #489
Random User 7
Incognito

Thank you, while I understand networking fairly well MoCa is new to me and I haven't had the time to delve into all the details.
Old 10-29-2014, 01:28 PM   #490
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random User 7 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppagene View Post
It looks like the dph548 uses HPNA rather than MoCa and AFAIK the moca enabled mini doesn't work with an HPNA signal. As you suggest, 2 HPNA adapters would fix that issue.
You can also use DirecTv Deca units as they are also a form of moca, just on lower freqs for satellite so if you use with a coax cable that already has cable tv on it, you'll get interference. It sounds like you don't have cable though, like me, so you should be golden using this option. Just go to eBay and get some. They're super cheap especially compared to regular moca devices. I saw an old white one selling for $3.99 the other day. Just make sure to get some power supplies for them since you don't have directv receivers there to power them.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:33 PM   #491
confinoj

I'm trying to set up a moca network. My main home theater setup, which I would like to add to the network, has a single coax currently fed by a rooftop antenna. I also have an RCA preamp installed with the power injector connected right before coax enters Tivo. I plan to link that coax line to other rooms and obviously my router/moca adapter by existing coax in the home. It will be isolated from the incoming internet from my cable company. I know OTA and MOCA can co-exist but am I going to have a problem with the pre-amp on that leg?

Last edited by confinoj : 10-29-2014 at 02:39 PM.
confinoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 07:19 PM   #492
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJQuad View Post
A lot of it is VERY confusing, which is why I made diagrams a few pages back. Some are more visual than you apparently are.
I'm very visual, but MoCA just isn't that confusing. It's so good because it is so simple, and extremely resilient to even my best attempts to break it (it used to travel through 3 splitters from XL4 to the Minis).
Old 10-29-2014, 08:55 PM   #493
Random User 7
Incognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
You can also use DirecTv Deca units as they are also a form of moca, just on lower freqs for satellite so if you use with a coax cable that already has cable tv on it, you'll get interference. It sounds like you don't have cable though, like me, so you should be golden using this option. Just go to eBay and get some. They're super cheap especially compared to regular moca devices. I saw an old white one selling for $3.99 the other day. Just make sure to get some power supplies for them since you don't have directv receivers there to power them.
Thanks I will look at those. Any specific part number or are they all the same?

Edit: Found DCA2SR0 on Amazon for under $10 with power adapter. Looks like a great deal to me. Thanks again!

Last edited by Random User 7 : 10-29-2014 at 09:03 PM.
Old Yesterday, 09:00 AM   #494
confinoj

Quote:
Originally Posted by confinoj View Post
I'm trying to set up a moca network. My main home theater setup, which I would like to add to the network, has a single coax currently fed by a rooftop antenna. I also have an RCA preamp installed with the power injector connected right before coax enters Tivo. I plan to link that coax line to other rooms and obviously my router/moca adapter by existing coax in the home. It will be isolated from the incoming internet from my cable company. I know OTA and MOCA can co-exist but am I going to have a problem with the pre-amp on that leg?
A little more detail on this. Antenna feed is split between antenna and power injector. This is a splitter that passes power only on one leg so power should be isolated to between power injector and antenna. The unpowered split will connect to the rest of the moca coax network. So while the power is isolated to one leg, moca will need to run through it. Will this work?
Old Yesterday, 04:41 PM   #495
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by confinoj View Post
A little more detail on this. Antenna feed is split between antenna and power injector. This is a splitter that passes power only on one leg so power should be isolated to between power injector and antenna. The unpowered split will connect to the rest of the moca coax network. So while the power is isolated to one leg, moca will need to run through it. Will this work?
It might. I couldn't answer definitively. There aren't a lot of OTA/moca users that have given their feedback to let us know if that setup has worked for them. You might have to be the guinea pig and give it a shot.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:43 PM   #496
confinoj

Will give it a shot and report back.