TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-21-2013, 11:39 AM   #31
lpwcomp

You might try recording something from Comeddy Central and see if it will actually let you record anything in other than "Best" quality and that the resulting recording actually says that it is recorded in that quality.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:41 AM   #32
csell

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
You might try recording something from Comeddy Central and see if it will actually let you record anything in other than "Best" quality and that the resulting recording actually says that it is recorded in that quality.
Did you see my previous post. I just re-ran the Diagnostics and it said Modulation: Analog
csell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:49 AM   #33
scole250

Quote:
Originally Posted by csell View Post
Ok, I got up the nerve to run the Diagnostics again (after it hung the last time) and for Channel 56, it says:

Moduldation: Analog

For the other tuner that I had on a known digital channel (HD), it says:

Modulation: QAM 256

I guess that answers that question - not all digital and will not work for the XL4
Might still be worth a call to your cable co and verify they don't have some option or tier that broadcasts those channels in digital.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:58 AM   #34
lpwcomp

Quote:
Did you see my previous post. I just re-ran the Diagnostics and it said Modulation: Analog
Sorry no, missed it. There was long delay between typing in my previous post and actually submitting it. . Yep, looks like you're SOL as far as a Premier 4/XL4 is concerned. OTOH, you are one of the few people who can still fully utilize a Dual Tuner TiVo 2. You could probably picck one of those up w/Lifetime fairly cheaply.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:16 PM   #35
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by scole250 View Post
Might still be worth a call to your cable co and verify they don't have some option or tier that broadcasts those channels in digital.
I suppose it is possible that they simply haven't authorized the CableCARD to access the digital equivalent channel or the wrong channel map is loaded but it is unlikely. It is even less likely that you would get a CSR who knows. OTOH, it couldn't hurt to call but I wouldn't accept anything that a CSR tells you w/o positive proof.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:04 PM   #36
MichaelK

Quote:
Ok, I got up the nerve to run the Diagnostics again (after it hung the last time) and for Channel 56, it says:

Moduldation: Analog

For the other tuner that I had on a known digital channel (HD), it says:

Modulation: QAM 256

I guess that answers that question - not all digital and will not work for the XL4

you have to call them to confirm. (and hope you find someone who can actually answer your question...- googd luck!)

As a couple posters above have said- some (maybe most?) systems as they transition from analog to digital send some channels BOTH as analog and digitial SD at the same time. Generally, but not always if you poke around the various threads, the provider is smart enough to aim cablecard devices to the digital version. But often enough they mess up and dont aim all the cards to digital version so you can't be 100% positive a digital version doesn't exist on another channel that you dont see.
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:12 AM   #37
shwru980r

If you have an old tube tv or vcr you could run the coax cable directly and see which channels it can receive to identify the analog channels.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:29 PM   #38
csell

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwru980r View Post
If you have an old tube tv or vcr you could run the coax cable directly and see which channels it can receive to identify the analog channels.
I do that in our bedroom - we have a TV with no cable box and we get channels 2-99. They are definitely still analog.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:34 PM   #39
scole250

Quote:
I do that in our bedroom - we have a TV with no cable box and we get channels 2-99. They are definitely still analog.
If I connect our cable to an old TV with an analog only tuner, all channels are analog. When I tune those same channel numbers using my Premiere, they pick up the re-mapped digital version.

csell, call the man...
Old 01-22-2013, 08:30 PM   #40
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwru980r View Post
That doesn't tell you if you receive them in digital when using a cablecard. Many cable companies remap them to digital on the same 2-99 channels or have a separate tier for the same channels.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:50 PM   #41
csell

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
That doesn't tell you if you receive them in digital when using a cablecard. Many cable companies remap them to digital on the same 2-99 channels or have a separate tier for the same channels.
But when I did the DVR Diagnostics, it said the modulation was: Analog... I sent an email to the cable company to see if I can get a concrete answer. If I don't get a response, I'll call them but I don't know if I will truly trust their answer anyway!
Old 01-24-2013, 07:24 PM   #42
MichaelK

Quote:
But when I did the DVR Diagnostics, it said the modulation was: Analog... I sent an email to the cable company to see if I can get a concrete answer. If I don't get a response, I'll call them but I don't know if I will truly trust their answer anyway!
that means the channels you were connected to were analog not that ONLY analog are available.

IF they tell you that they do have digital versions then ask them to enable them on your tivohd. If they can get that done then you can truly trust that digital exists. If not then you just can't tell.

good luck.
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote